Footloose Travel Tours

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:10 PM
gwen

Footloose Travel Tours

Has anyone ever heard of or used Footloose Travel Tours? Are they a reputable tour? Their Best of Europe Tour sounds like a Rick Steves Tour, but cheaper.

Feb 7th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Rex

We ("regulars") have certainly heard of Mike (Shaefer) and his company. I assume that you have already found the website www.footloosetravel.com - - where you will find more info. Mike occasionally comes here and tries to get around the rules against commercial promotion by offering the opportunity to view photos on his site (I will defend him, and say that he never actually promotes any of his tours) - - and of course, from there, it's a natural that you might learn about the tours offered.

The price seems almost too good to be true, but I think you get at least what you pay for, and probably a worthwhile value. I have corresponded with Mike on a few occasions - - offering to send one or more of our daughters with him, either as paying customers - - or, I have also asked about employment opportunities as an assistant guide (more for them, than for me). No such opportunity at the present - - in fact, at least as of last summer, he had no actual other employees. He can't possibly be making any significant money at what he is doing at the very low prices he is charging.

He has been doing this for a few years now, so I am guessing that he is doing something right. and I am pretty sure he will give you direct references of people who have traveled with him.

Best wishes,

Rex

Feb 8th, 2001, 06:40 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Gwen, Mike has priced it right, but it is all rail travel. Rick is 30% too high in my opinion, and you have to ride in the big bus on their schedule.
You can do it yourself, save the 30% and be in control of your own vacation.
That is the best way to see Europe.

Feb 8th, 2001, 07:49 PM
gwen

Thanks for comments. We're still hopeful someone with actual experience will respond to this inquiry. I have been on footloose.com site. Can't get on their forum due to weblink not working??? Hoping tomorrow will learn more.

Feb 9th, 2001, 02:14 PM
xxx

to the top, for Sandy.