Reload this Page >

Good *** hotels in Siena and Orvieto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Mark

i have already searched the board, but could would like to know if anyone else has additional comments on good placed to stay in these cities.<BR><BR>grazie.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Marilyn

I have stayed twice at the Palazzo Piccolomini in Orvieto and have been quite pleased.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:07 PM
stephen

Palazzo Piccolomini- Yes thats where I stayed and loved it. Room 306 has the best view. And dont be affraid to use the big common living room area to drink wine with friends. Great service.Comfortable. Clean. In Siena we stayed at Albergo Bernini, one star but very nice people, clean, good views, kinda B and B style, but only $78. The bed slopped a little so we just put our pillows at the other end. One cool town that no one talks about is between Siena and Orvieto is Pienza. Worth one night stay and very simple,incredibly romantic hill town. They had a big fire going in the middle of the plaza in front of the church. Surreal. Great cafe across from church, looks closed, but open the door and oh my. Great people, service.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Debby

I third the vote for piazza picolo. If you are driving it is hard to find, but well worth the effort. We arrived on my birthday and the owner suggested the place next door for dinner. When we arrived we were the only ones there and we did not know what to expect. As it turned out the food was wonderful and a large tour group arrived later. The place was reserved for them. Even with the crowd , the service was great, the place quiet and romantic. Have fun! And yes go to Pienza-next time we will spend a night ther! How charming.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Debby

I did not realize you were also asking about Siena. Do not stay at the Hotel Duomo in Siena. That was our worst hotel experience in our 17 day trip to Italy and it was listed as a splurge in the Rick Steves book. We were there in June 2002. As it turned out there are 6 rooms that have been redone out of a lot of rooms. Those may be wonderful and I'm sure that is where Rick stays.<BR>Our shower got the whole bathroom wet. We did change to a better room, but the attitude at the hotel was terrible. They are totally booked with Americans(of which I am one) who booked there because of Rick Steves. Go anywhere else. We had friends who stayed at thePalazzo Ravizza and liked it a great deal. Have fun.<BR><BR>Debby

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Marilyn

If not an overnight, tiny Pienza is certainly worth a few hours. I recommend lunch and a stroll. It's a little jewel of a town, with wonderful views, lots of gourmet food shops, and a very interesting history. <BR><BR>First, it was the birthplace of one of the popes who rebuilt the main square to reflect his glory. The old buildings were not fine enough for the hometown of a pope. Second, the church is absolutely falling off the cliff. You can walk inside and see the floor slanting away beneath you. And third, the town is so charmingly medieval it was used for the filming of Romeo &amp; Juliet.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:20 AM
marj

We also stayed and enjoyed the Palazzo Piccolomini. If you do drive, once you arrive, for an additional cost, they will park the car for you (which is well worth it). We did have trouble finding it. Finally we asked a gentleman who let us follow him by car, as he walked us to the hotel.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Dayle

HI! We also stayed at Palazzo Piccollmini and thought it was very nice. It is at the opposite end of town from the train station (below town) and the funicular. I would suggest simply parking in the car park and arranging for the hotel's shuttle to pick you up there. Or, they can just take your luggage &amp; you can take the &quot;acensiore&quot; (SP?) up. A series of underground escalators take you up to town and you come out a few steps from the hotel!<BR><BR>buon viaggio!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:52 AM
Roberta

Is there another public parking lot in Orvieto Scalo in addition to the lot to the right of the station (when facing the station &amp; back to the the funiculare)? It was nearly full when I parked there last May - are there any alternatives?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:00 AM
doc

in orvieto, stay at la badia, a 14 th century monastery they have a website

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:06 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mark, It depends if you are driving.<BR>If so, drive into Orvieto from the west side of town and stay at Paz. Picc.<BR>In Siena, take S-2 north where it enters Siena at the Porta Romana. Just south of there is the Piccolo Hotel Oliveta--a cute 3 star with parking. It is a :15 walk from here to the Campo.<BR>Good luck !

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Alan

Doc's pic, La Badia, is supberb. However, it's not in the same price range as the others mentioned. It's also in the valley below, vs. on the hilltop. If you want a first-class, romantic experience go for it. It also has an excellent restaurant. <BR><BR>If their rooms are too expensive for you but you want to splurge on a dinner, take a taxi there for a meal to remember.