Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Pienza: Siena, Orvieto or Assisi?

Sep 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Will be in Pienza for 3 nights w/ DH soon and had a day open up (since we won't be meeting up w/ our inlaws anymore...thanks to all who chimed in!!), Want to do a day trip to either Siena or to Orvieto and or Assisi. The day before we will do our our driving tour of Montalcino area.

Recommendations? Siena or Orvieto/Assisi. Could we even do Orvieto and Assisi in one day, returning to Pienza? I'm open to just one or other other as well......

thanks!

P.S. I will post my full itin shortly for Critiques!
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I would choose Siena. We visited Assisi last year and was not impressed.
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM

I agree that Siena is probab;y your best bet. Orvieto is also nice (incl. the Orvieto wines), but Siena offers more and is very compact.
Sep 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good. I was in Siena some 15-20 years ago and remember it as great. My cousin lived in Assisi for a year and looooooved it, hence my consideration. However, from the research I've done, Orvieto actually sounds a bit more appealing than Assisi.
How's Cortona? I ;ve read so many mixed reviews? Any other good towns to "stop in on" on the way to Siena, if we pick Siena, or Orvieto, if we pick Orvieto?
tthanks
Sep 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Montepulciano is on your way to Orvieto (depending on route you take) and of course Civita Bagnoregio is not far from Orvieto either if that interests you. You could also stop in Chiusi for the Etruscan museum on the way to Orvieto.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM

Siena is one of the most beautiful places in the world! Piazza del Campo is prob.the most amazing square you could visit. Of course Orvieto/Assisi are also nice but not as nice as Siena.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

I prefer Orvieto to Sienna. We were in both cities last year and it was a repeat visit to Siena for me as friends whom we were traveling with wanted to go. It is pretty but not a place I would go out of my way to return to.

The four of us went to Orvieto for the first time and very much enjoyed it. I would return and spend more time there and all 4 of us enjoyed our day there more than Siena.

It has been 20 years since I have been to Assisi but I have good memories and would return.