Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good Grief- not ANOTHER question about Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am overwhelmed. My husband and I leave on the 8th for a wedding in Paris on the 9th. We havea dinner as part of the "do" on a bateau mouche on Friday night, then the wedding itself on Saturday, then something on Sunday lunchtime.

The wedding is in Bercy and we're staying down there Friday and Saturday nights. We move up to the Hotel Harvey in the 17th on the Sunday and we're there for a week.

At present we have no plans (except I want to go to the Musee d'Orsay).

We were last in Paris over 20 years ago for 3 days, when we mooched round Montmartre, went to the Louvre, drove round te main sites nd went to Versailles.

Our tastes are ecelectic. My husband is into wine, and archaeology. I like birds and natural history and literature, especially crime fiction. I like cooking and food markets- but we won't be able to cook, of course.

Maybe some nice shopping? More Charing Cross Road than Harrods if you know what I mean.

We will walk a bit but not too much. We both like good food, but are more comfortable in a good bistro than a Michelin starred place.

There are thousands of posts about Paris on here. I've got 5 pages of notes out of the the first 50.

Those of you who know and love Paris, help us out a bit. What should we do

I'm very keen to get a feel for the place and not be rushing about too much.

What makes Paris special for you? Help us out please.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM

You both might enjoy the archeological "crypt" museum in front of Notre Dame. I did. Also, as to history, the Carnavalet Museum in the 4th, maybe a couple of blocks east of the Pompidou...

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
ira

Hi S,

Have you checked the Paris Superthread?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I hadn't ira, but i will now. Not very user friendly tho', is it?
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM

You are right, there is so much on this forum about Paris that you will have a 1000 ideas. April in Paris! Once the wedding is over you have a wonderful week in Paris.

By all means see Ste. Chapelle preferably on a sunny day. If you like gardens, visit Luxembourg Gardens and Giverny. For birds check out the flower and bird market on the Ile de la Cite.

Visit lots of sidewalk cafes and sit in the sun in the Tuilleries Gardens and watch the people, the birds, the flowers and the sculpture. If you want to take a trip out of town for a day, visit Chartres.

Stroll up and down the main street of the Ile de St. Louis, shop and have an ice cream from Berthillon.

There are lots of wonderful bistros. Some of our favorites are L'Epi Dupin and Bastide d'Odeon in the 6th, La Fontaine de Mars in the 7th and L'Avant Gout in the 13th. Relax and have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Hi Sheila,

Recently my in-laws wanted to eat at a typical French bistro so after scouring this sight I chose Chez Clovis thanks to "JulieVikmanis." The restaurant is one of the remaining bistros near the old Les Halles market and is across from the magnificent St. Eustache church which I think your husband would enjoy. The church is noted for its mix of architecture: gothic on the outside w/Renaissance et al inside. There's also a little park where you might see some birds (probably pigeons!).

Here's a review of the restaurant:

http://www.ytic.com/default.asp?ArtID=194&RPID=0

Some of our favourite spots that we have returned to in Paris include:

<b>Orsay</b> (look out for the Macintosh furniture.)
<b>Place Dauphine</b> (a nice quiet spot w/a few wine bars.)
<b>Luxembourg Gardens</b> (great picnic and people watching spot if it's warm enough--there's also a special Matisse exhibit at the museum now).
<b>Mus&eacute;e de Cluny</b> (magnificent medieval arts and crafts).
<b>Carnavalet</b> (history of Paris).
<b>Pompidou</b> (be sure to head to the roof cafe for a drink w/great views).
<b>Rodin Museum</b> (beautiful sculpture gardens).
<b>Ste. Chappelle</b> (amazing stained glass).

We also love the Picasso Museum, Place des Vosges, and wandering aimlessly in the Marais.

Some wine bars for your husband:

<u>La Tartine</u>, 24 rue de Rivoli
<u>Taverne Henri IV</u>, 13 pl du Pont-Neuf
<u>Fish</u>, 69 rue de Seine (proper resto with great wine by the glass and fish/pasta selections).

I'm not sure if I've been of any help or just made you more confused but I hope you have a fabulous time.

Maureen
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM

How about the Natural History Museum? The Mineralogie Museum? Certainly the bird market on the Ile de la Cit&eacute;, right next to the m&eacute;tro station.

Two of our favorite bistros are Au Petit Marguery, in the 13th, and Le Bistro de Breteuil, on the Place de Preteuil.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Definitely check out Taverne Henri IV , on rue du Pont Neuf..Fish on Rue de Seine has an extensive selection..and is run by a UKer, if your French is rusty!..the food is pretty good ,too..they do do a veg plat.

If you have time on the Sunday..check out the Richard Lenoir market at BAstille..one of our new favorites..there is a market in the 15th
15th Arrondisement
Convention Rue de la Convention, 15e. Mº Convention. Tues, Thurs &amp; Sun.

..haven't been so can't comment

A definite should be the Cluny and Arenes de Lutece ..along with the nearby market!

wish we could join you and K!!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:41 PM

I think Paris Tours is doing a walking tour based on the book - the Davinci Code - what was true and what was fiction. That might fit your crime fiction question.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Isn't Charring Cross Road mainly bookstores? (I really don't know London or Paris all that well.)

If you're interested in books, Shakespeare &amp; Co. is probably worth a visit. I've never been, but it stars prominently in &quot;Before Sunset.&quot;

Another standard is La Hune, a bookstore on St-Germain-des-Pres. You can probably find a number of bookstores there. I've only been in La Hune very quickly.

If you're looking for used classical music CDs, La Chaumiere may be worth a visit. It's on r. Vaugirard near the Luxembourg Gardens. I've only been there once and picked up a few CDs.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Sheila, if you open the Paris Superthread and use the 'find' function* for &quot;Degas&quot; or &quot;walks&quot; you will automatically scroll down to the entry with about a dozen links. Hit on each one of those links - they are each a thread that describes a 'walk' in each area of Paris, including notes about the sights along the way. You can use these 'ready-made' walks as part of your planning.

* the 'find' function is a Windows operation, in case you don't know...
press Ctrl-F, then enter those search words, one at a time...
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for this lot. I had lost the thread. I'll follow it up over the enxt couple of evenings.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you like cooking, check out the artisanal oils at Huilerie J. Leblanc on rue Jacob in the 6th arrondissement. I won't go to Paris without bringing back a supply of their truffled olive oil to put on grilled vegetables.

For archaeology, the Cluny Museum has Roman baths, and the foundations are exposed as you walk past on the street.

For bistros, I have especially enjoyed Au Petit Marguery in the 13th, Le Pamphlet in the 3rd, and the following three in the 5th:

Le Petit Prince de Paris, 12 rue de Lanneau, 5th arr., 01 43 54 77 26.

Les Fetes Galantes, 17 rue de l'ecole polytechnique, 5th arr., 01 43 26 10 40.

Chantairelle, 17 rue Laplace, 5th arr., 01 46 33 18 59

Descriptions of our recent dinners at most of these places are found in my trip report from February:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34574921

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

My planning is as shambolic as ever but all helpful details printed and to be carried. Thanks all.

Boring Trip report to follow
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM

&quot;boring&quot;? Yeah right!
I wish you a wonderful trip and the hope that you two have some relaxation and romance in addition to some really fine meals in Paris~
<i> I had nothing to add to the contributions here because I just enjoy walking and eating in Paris with some shopping thrown in..after seeing every possible museum and monument. </i>
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett, so far that,s just what we're doing; last night, a dinner on a bateau mouche on the Seine below the sparkling lights of the Eiffel Tower, was absolutely magic, and all we've done today is mooch about the shops in Bercy village. Must go and change for the wedding.

Thank goodness for Fodors, tho'. I forgot to take all the notes I'd made from here