Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Paris in 2 Weeks and I am Looking for the Small, Medieval Streets of Paris

Notices

Going to Paris in 2 Weeks and I am Looking for the Small, Medieval Streets of Paris

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am want to take a walk through the small, medieval streets of Paris. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 03:53 AM

the ile de st. louis (where notre dame is) would be your surest bet.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:55 AM

The Marais comes to mind in the 4th.

There is very little of medieval Paris left since the works of the great engineer Haussmann. He made many a boulevard in Paris thus removing the medieval feel.

Wow! Did they move Notre Dame? Again?!?! Just teasing subcon. It's easy to forget there are two islands in the river since they are so close.

Notre Dame is really on Ile de la Cite. At the back of Notre Dame is a bridge you can walk across to Ile St Louis which does have a medieval feel.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Hi Charlie - having tramped all over Paris I don't know if you'll find much medieval. I have two prints made from 1910 etchings of tiny streets in Paris that I searched out the last time I was there. The prints looked to be of medieval era locations but when I found them they had been updated with neon and cars parked on the tiny streets in front of really old buildings. Sort of disappointing. I recall that both were in the Marais so that's where to go. I'd give you the addresses but I just moved and I don't know which box they are in. Have fun in your quest. I am so jealous.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:04 AM

the Ile de la Cite is the best specimen of that IMO, in particular the streets to the north of Notre Dame (and east of Hotel Dieu). These have some of the oldest existing buildings in Paris -- rues des Ursins, Chantres, etc. This is where Abelard used to hang out, for example. This is called the Ancien Cloitre Quartier. I think the Ile St Louis and the Marais are really better specimens of the 16th-17th century.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:10 AM
ChatNoir

I used the interesting walk described in this thread and it took me past several medieval sites.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34454657

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM

There are a few medieval streets in the Latin Quarter, rue de la Huchette, for example. But you won't get a medieval vibe there, unless your idea of the Middle Ages includes rows of Greek restaurants, post card shops and the odd disco!
On the edge of the Marais, between the St. Paul area and Notre Dame, is a beautifully preserved medieval building that is now a library (a private library, as I recall). It's one of the relatively few medieval buildings in Paris still intact. For a true medieval feel, you might enjoy a day trip elsewhere...Angers (excellent cobblestoned medieval area around the chateau, which is a short walk from the train station) or Senlis or...well I'm sure others will give you good suggestions.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Also don't miss the underground ruins in front of Notre Dame - you have to use your imagination, but it's fascinating (medieval and Roman). I picked up a birds eye rendering of Lutece, deuxieme siecle at the gift shop. They may have something showing medieval Paris.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I think the area called Belleville, might have some small and medieval street areas. I know it is hilly and has vineyards ~

The Marais is full of twisting winding streets, cobblestone and old old small buildings.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:18 AM
ira

Hi charlie,

Numbers 11 & 13 Rue Francis Miron are half-timbered houses dating from about 1580.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Agreeing with chicgal, the Cluny Museum (Musée du Moyen Age) is terrific... you really feel like you step back to medieval times. the tapestries are breathtaking. Enjoy! I'll be there myself in 3 weeks, and I appreciate the other medieval advice on this thread!!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I plan to take these walks in the early morning hours. How early do you think I could safely walk alone?
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:28 PM

As early as you please.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM

http://nagram.chez.tiscali.fr/photos/qlatin.jpg

This is a photo as if your back is to the Seine, and Eglise St Julien le Pauvre is just to your left. You are looking down a short street that connects to rue de la Huchette (5th).

Go to www.pagesjaunes.fr
Enter 11 rue francois miron into the 'addresse' field, then click on the 'photo' link to see two very old timbered houses (4th)
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:14 AM
ira

>I plan to take these walks in the early morning hours. How early do you think I could safely walk alone?<

Excellent idea.

They hose down the streets shortly after sunup, so be careful.