Reload this Page >

Good couscous, 5th or 6th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Sue

Anyone know of a good couscous restaurant in the 5th or 6th, not counting the chain Chez Beber?

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 06:59 AM
upsy-daisy

Surely someone among you wonderful posters has eaten good North African food in Paris! Where are you? <BR> <BR>Sue

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:33 AM
SharonM

Sue, <BR>Wish I could help! I DID have some wonderful couscous in Seville, but can't help you with Paris!

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:49 AM
elvira

The best couscous is found in the Marais and in the 20eme; don't know of a place in the 5eme or 6eme....

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Marija

Institute du Monde Arabe has a restaurant that serves good couscous.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 07:56 AM
Sue

Elvira, goddess of travel (I am not being sarcastic), tell me of the couscous is the Marais, please.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 10:43 AM
elvira

Ok, the Marais is the Jewish neighborhood, so you'll find falafel and couscous in all sorts of restaurants, bistros, etc. I don't remember the names of any of the restaurants, I just stop in (lots of them are sort of standup lunch counters). The 20eme is where many North African immigrants live; again, I just stop at a restaurant that looks good and chow down. <BR> <BR>I'm sorry, I never remember the names of restaurants (I'm usually so weak from hunger....)

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 02:12 PM
deena

great falafel at L'As du Falafel in the Marais

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Christina

There aren't as many couscous restaurants on the Left Bank, but there are a few, although I have never noticed a lot of couscous restaurants in the Marais. It seemed to me the most and best of these are in the 11th and the nearby upper NE 3rd arr.(eg, around Arts and Metiers metro stop), as well as maybe the 18th-20th arr; there are a lot in Belleville, for example. I've never heard of Chez Beber (or berber), so perhaps I'm not that observant. The best ones I know of on the Left Bank, which are near places I've stayed so I know them, are La Table de Fes on rue Ste-Beuve in the 6th (really near bd Montparnasse) and Tipaza on rue St-Charles in the 15th (www.tipaza.fr). The most famous couscous restaurant in Paris is supposed to be Chez Omar, I think, lots of famous people even go there (3rd arr near Arts and Metiers metro). There is another one near the Institut du Monde Arabe in the 5th, but I don't know anything about it--L'Atlas at 10, bd St-Germain (www.atlas-restaurant.fr).

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 03:58 PM
james ibbott

Hi: We stayed in the 5th in October, at the Cluny Sorbonne hotel on Rue Victor Cousine. Around the corner was a lettle restaurant called Bistro de la Sorbonne(I think) It was a Moroccan restaurant and had tagines and couscous. I had a tagine, but people around me were very happy with their couscous. We were there twice because we found it friendly and pleasant and the food was good.

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt - Any updates on this question?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM

The Atlas restaurant in the 5th is one of our favorites. Excellent food, very beautifully decorated restaurant. Have fun!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:37 AM

I have been to Chez Omar and it is excellent and very branch&eacute; (&quot;in&quot; in French). Here's an article http://www.metropoleparis.com/2000/536/536omars.html There's also a restaurant in the Paris Mosque which is located in the 5th. I found it when I went there to have Tea (another unique experience). I can only assume the food must be very good and authentic!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I recall that some people who like the Montparnasse area of the 6th district (near the Hotel Sainte Beuve) still do recommend highly the Table de Fes. Therefore, that is still a great choice obviously.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:43 AM

La Table de Fes, 5 rue Sainte-Beuve, metro Notre-Dame-des-Champs, 01-45-48-07-22. Closed Sundays and the month of August. Dinner only. I go every time I'm in Paris.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:16 PM

I've heard good comments regarding Chez Omar but I've never been there.

However, I can personally recommend the following:
Hotel Degres de Notre Dame, 10 rue des Grands Degres, about 5 minutes north of the Maubert-Mutualite Metro stop on rue Fr&eacute;d&eacute;ric-Sauton and about 5 minutes from Notre Dame in the other direction. This hotel is classified as an auberge, a restaurant with a restaurant. The owner is Algerian, I believe, so the couscous is truly authentic. I recall couscous with merguez sausage, aperitif &amp; glass of wine was less than $20. It was wonderful!! Here's the website for the hotel, although, admittedly, there isn't a great deal of menu info but you'll get to see the pictures:
http://lesdegreshotel.monsite.wanadoo.fr/page5.html

Another place that I've read about is Al Dar at 8 rue Fr&eacute;d&eacute;ric-Sauton, practically around the corner from the other I've mentioned. I believe a listing for Al Dar can be found in Cadogan's Paris Guide. The restaurant is open from 12noon-12midnight and prices according to Cadogan are around $14 per meal. Here's a quote from Frommer's:
&quot; Al Dar (8 rue Fr&eacute;d&eacute;ric Sauton, 5th; tel. 01/43-25-17-15; M&eacute;tro to Maubert-Mutualit&eacute;; Noon-3pm/7pm-midnight daily; 85-92f per entree, prix fixe 200f; AE, DC, MC, V) works hard to popularize Lebanon's savory cuisine. In a room lined with photographs of Lebanese architecture and scenery, you can relish their refreshing taboul&eacute;, and their creamier-than-thou baba ganush and hummus. Follow any of these with excellent roasted chicken; minced lamb prepared with mint, cumin, and Mediterranean herbs; and any of several kinds of tagines (clay pot stews) and couscous. Reservations recommended.&quot;
http://www.frommers.com/hangingout/p...013024689.html

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Here're a few more suggestions from Things to Do in Paris (http://www.thingstodo-paris.com/broc...p;ITEM=21#23):

&quot;North African &amp; Middle Eastern

The Latin Quarter is a good area for couscous and tajines as well as meze. The Mosqu&eacute;e de Paris complex, to the east of the Latin Quarter, includes a North African style salon de the, open 9am to 11.30pm daily, and a restaurant (tel 01 43 31 38 20), with excellent couscous and tajines, open for lunch and dinner to 10.30pm daily. Both can be entered from 39 rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire.

Al Dar
(tel 01 43 25 17 15, 8-10 rue Frederic Sauton, 5e, metro Maubert Mutualit&eacute. This Lebanese restaurant has lunch menus, &agrave; la carte main courses and the plat du jour. It's open for lunch and dinner till midnight daily. The excellent deli section, with little pizzas, sandwiches and stuffed grapevine leaves, opens 7am to midnight daily.

Founti Agadir
(tel 43 37 85 10, 117 rue Monge, 5e, metro Censier Daubenton). This Moroccan restaurant has some of the best couscous, tajines, and pastilles on the Left Bank and there are lunch menus. It's open for lunch and dinner to 11pm, Tuesday to Sunday.

Koutchi
(tel 01 44 07 20 56, 40 rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 5e, metro Cardinal Lemoine). The decor of this Afghan restaurant is reminiscent of a Central Asian caravanserai. Specialties include Afghan salads, meat dishes and desserts. It's open for lunch weekdays and for dinner to 11pm, Monday to Saturday.&quot;
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM

One more and then I'm finished!
Nomads, 45 rue Descarts 75005 (I think they have karaoke too according to les Pages Jaunes!).