Good Coffee In Rome?

Search

Good Coffee In Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Coffee In Rome?

I need some education, but first let me confess my sins: I don't like expresso and I sometimes go, gasp... to Starbucks for a latte.

Where can I get a good cup of American style coffee? Not too strong, but not too "sissified" either.

Any neat cafes to try or great locations to sip and watch the world go by?

And I'm willing to expand my experience a bit - any local brews that I might learn to like? How should I ask for it?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Hi, Degas-
First off,it's espresso,no "x."
If you ask for caffe,that's what you'll get.

A caffe lungo is an espresso with extra water,more like American coffee.
If you ask for Caffe Americano,you will probably get something like a lungo.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Get ready for "not much" in the cup...like about 1/3 of an inch of liquid...although I suspect it depends on what you ask for. The "1/3" thing happened to me on the train between Milan and Rome....I kept wondering if someone had been drinking out of the cup before they gave it to me!!

Why would you go to Italy to get "American style" anything?????
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Caffe Americano is what you want. Or caffe latte if you want milk instead of hot water.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM

degas,

Whatever you do, don't ask for a "latte" unless you want a glass of cold milk. It's "caffe latte".
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Coffee is good everywhere in Italy. It is a religion. Warning: If you choose to "sit and watch the world go by," you will probably double or triple the cost of your coffee since table service is extra. Don't buy your coffee at the counter and then sit down--it doesn't work that way. Buy it at the counter, drink it at the counter.

If you like a Starbucks latte, try a cappuccino or caffe latte.

I also suggest you try an espresso, just to see what it's like in Italy. Keep in mind that Italians will add plenty of sugar to theirs--no need to drink it black.

What cities will you visit? Give us an idea so we can suggest locations.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will be visitng Pisa, Orvieto and Rome.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM

When in Rome, you absolutely must try espresso at Cafe Sant' Eustachio near the Pantheon http://www.santeustachioilcaffe.it/
It will convert you into an espresso lover. I would spend a few more coins to sit down and include people watching with coffee drinking.

Anna Roz
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Hi degas, do order Cafe Americano. And I too personally feel it is worth the extra money to sit at an outside table and drink my coffee while I "people watch" and soak in the scenery. Have a wonderful time in Italy!!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Tazza d'Oro in Rome, near the Pantheon, has wonderful coffee and a great atmosphere. I had my mid-morning coffee there everyday while visiting Rome.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 PM

Hi Degas -

I think you should really try espresso done right. That said, I totally understand the need for coffee like you're used to - my DH's only complaint about Paris was how "go#*$@dam hard it was to find a cup of coffee in the morning."

The rest of the day, he wanted to swim in strong French coffee. In the morning, he wanted Folgers.

Try both!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:20 AM

degas,

Didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't sit down for coffee . . . just gave that info because many first-timers complain about being "ripped off" for a cup of coffee when they sat down. It's not a rip off--the difference in prices are posted, but most visitors don't notice or understand what the sign means.

In Rome I would choose a cafe in front of the Pantheon or in Piazza Navona. I love a real Italian espresso--it's the first thing I do after I arrive, find my local bar and have a stand-up caffe with the locals. Later in the day, it's sit-down cafe time.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

All I've drank before in Italy was cappuccino. I used to hear that the italians didn't drink those after 1100 or so, but maybe I can still get one in the afternoon.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM

degas-
It's interesting to hear what Italians do and don't do.I've read and heard many of them! I also had heard that Italians don't drink cappuccino in the afternoon,but having spending a winter's month in Rome last year,I can tell you that when they're cold,they do!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I second the Cafe Sant'Eustachio recommendation. So yummy and such a great place to people watch.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM

there is a saying...

"when in Rome..."
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM

In a thread on the SlowTalk board, several Italians posted they do have cappucino after 11 AM. However, what's typically not done is to have cappucino as part of or after lunch or dinner. But they might have cappucino for a mid-afternoon break, maybe with a pastry. I don't know personally, but I do know that no one batted an eye when I ordered cappucino at 4 PM in Florence.

Degas, when you say you don't like espresso, but still like Starbucks latte, you must mean you don't like espresso on its own. Another thing you could consider in Italy is a latte machiato, which has more focus on the milk than the espresso.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM

ttt
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM

I find the Italians are worldly enough not to be shocked when someone orders cappucino at any time of day. I like one after dinner instead of dessert sometimes, so I order it.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM

I've always found the real Italian cappucinos to be warm in temperature, never very hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -