Good, cheap eats for teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you recommend any fun and inexpensive restaurants for teens sightseeing in Rome and Florence in August?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM

This is a general piece of advice:

When one's away, one cannot be bothered with trying to locate specific recommendations, unless of course they're unique Michelin starred places (which is rarely the case). Rome and Florence have thousands of restaurants, so you're best to look at menus, and try to make sure it's not packed with American tourists, but locals instead.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
rex

I don't think that with teens, there is even much point in making a decision based on whether you see any/many tourists eating there. I've virtually never seen a restaurant with more than one or two tables of American tourists - - so what? Anyhow, chances are that you wouldn't distinguish tourists from Poland or Australia from tourists from Milan or Naples - - when you're in Rome and Florence, in any case.

It's true you will see hundreds of restaurants, just walking around, in a quarter mile circle of wherever you are staying, and many have their menus posted outside on a stand, or at the front door, for you to look at. Teens are quite capable of being allowed to pick their own restaurants, based on looking at menus and the plates of other customers (there are so many outdoor places in both cities). Let <i>them</i> explain the menu to <i>you</i>, and tell you why they want to go to one place versus another.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Count me as another person who doesn't plan out restaurant ahead. I just keep my eyes open during the day for things that look interesting to return to in the evening. While touring I try to plan ahead and start looking before I am famished to avoid bad choices.

I think getting the teens in on picking places is a great idea.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:40 PM

You don't say how old your teens are but if &quot;old enough&quot; you might consider letting them head to the Hard Rock Cafe Roma (I'm pretty sure there is such a place!) and you two head elsewhere. We did that several nights with our 3 sons. It worked well.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I'll concur with the others. There is little point in trying to plan out restaurant stops in a city the size of Rome or Florence. Presumably, you are savvy enough to look at restaurant menus and decide if they are good for your family. You can consult guidebooks ahead of time, but just look at menus and make a decision. This level of detail for trip planning is really not essential.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:51 PM

The hard rock cafe in Rome is on via Veneto, across the street from the U.S. Embassy, adjacent to hotel Ambasciatori!. I florence I would recommend Il Latini.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi jrpfeiffer, I think Italy is one of the easiest places to feed teens. And don't teens eat a lot!! Don't forget the gelato, LOL.

I also have no idea of the ages of your teens or whether they are male or female.

I will say this, teens love pizza and Italy has lots of pizza. Most teens love pasta also and well...you know, Italy and pasta.

If you have a 13 year old girl you will probably not want her out on her own. But if she has a say 17 year old responsible brother or sister with her it should be fine. If you have teens that are 16 through 19 I think letting them go off on their own so they can choose where they want to eat while you and your spouse enjoy a restaurant you have chosen is just fine. Especially if they and you have cellphones. You will find teens all over Italy and especially in Rome and Florence on their own, without parents around,just enjoying la dolce vita. But of course only you know how citywise, streetwise and independent your children are.

Regarding sightseeing. I assume your children are computer savy. I would have them do research as to what interest them. Get them involved in this trip. And again, if their ages are appropriate etc. they could explore one site while you two explore another. But only you know what you are comfortable with. Hope you and all your family have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:12 PM

I agree with Iloveitaly about Italy being one of the best places to find food to please teens. My son was not a teenager yet when we visited Rome. But he sure was a fussy eater. However, pizza Margherita and spaghetti ala vongole really interested him. Also McDonalds served fritto misto which he really liked alot. I know, it's McDonalds, but no McD's at home serves fritto misto!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:09 PM

We loved our first trip to Italy last summer, with our 2 teen daughters, age 17 and 18, and our young adult son.

We tried it both ways...randomly selecting restaurants based on what looked good at the moment, and hunting down restaurants that had been recommended.

In every case, in Rome especially, all of the recommended restaurants were VERY VERY worth hunting down, and had great prices, great food, and great atmosphere. HOWEVER, the restaurants we just spontaneously chose on our own turned out to have BAD FOOD for worse prices!!!

Therefore I recommend taking a list with you. Figure out which areas you will be sight-seeing in, and bring along recommendations for those areas. Also you need a good map of Rome, with an index to streets and piazzas.

We happened to have brought our Rick Steves Italy guidebook with us, and I had left many other guidebooks at home which I had used as reference material. After finding out the hard way that Rick Steves recommended restaurants were better and cheaper than the ones we chose on our own, we unanimously voted to stick with Rick's recommendations!

Getting recommendations from other travellers on fodors is also a good plan. the only problem is, they might not be able to help you locate their favorite restaurant. Whereas Rick Steves does have some helpful hints to locate his recommended restaurants.

We ended up ripping out the restaurant pages out of our guidebook and carrying them with us! Don't be afraid to do this. If you take a return trip to Italy your book will be outdated anyway so you will need to buy a new one. But save the pages for your trip report when you return!

I did find one recommended restaurant for Florence from a fellow traveller on fodors, who gave some instructions for how to find it, and I was able to locate it luckily and it was excellent for example. But many people might be vague about restaurant locations.

I wouldn't get stuck on hunting down just one particular restaurant, but it really helps to have a number of good restaurants for the areas you are planning to visit. Then if you can't find one, you can head for another on the list.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I want to add one more thing. You might wonder why you can't just pick out a good restaurant on your own in Rome? You will probably end up making the mistakes we made...you will choose the ones that are most obvious, on big piazzas, which you can't miss, with a fellow standing right out in front beckoning you over. Well, those are the worst choices!!! They are the tourist traps.

The best restaurants will be the little one just around the corner, in a less touristy location, and nobody will be standing outside beckoning you in, because they are too busy serving great food to their local customers, who are smart enough to stay off those touristy big piazzas!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM

Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Meat and potatoes or vegetarian. One choice could be food stalls in area markets. Another suggestion; shop food stores for take-away food and then picnic. Let us know what you find.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Perhaps rather than recommending particular restaurants, it might help to offer some guidelines for dining inexpensively but well. Here are some ideas:

= Don't eat at a place right next to a famous tourist sight. Walk a few blocks down a side street and you'll be sure to find a less expensive place with better food.

= Drinks and sandwiches at bars can be an inexpensive choice. But if you sit down at a table, chances are the price will double. Eat and drink standing or carry away your sandwich to keep costs down. You'll also be mingling with the standing locals if you do so.

= Watch for self-service restaurants, featuring a hot table and a variety of choices served cafeteria-style. Great quality and low cost.

= Coca-cola and other typical American soft drinks can be quite expensive in Italy. Choose beverages wisely.

Anyone else?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your great comments. Very helpful. My four teens, by the way, are young women, ages 17-18 and just graduated from high school, on a self-guided trip through Europe before heading off to college this fall.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM

When my teens would crave for Coke in Italy, I bought the liter bottles in a grocery store. They were not expensive. Everyone was happy.