Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good beach walk on Cote d'Azur, and best scenic drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are headed to the Cote d'Azur in May, and are staying one night in Cassis, and several in Roquebrune Cap Martin. We love to walk and hike, and are wondering if there are any long beach walks anywhere around these areas? I know Roquebrune is not on the beach, but what about from Menton or other places? Seems like I read something about a walk from Villefranche to St Jean Cap Ferrat?

Also, is the drive from Cassis to Menton very scenic along the water, or would it be better to go up and over the top, along the hilltowns? (or is there even such a route?)

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Last summer my Mom and I went to the south of France for 10 days and walked a ton. We were amazed by all of the walking trails along the beach. We stayed in Menton, but took day trips almost every day. One day we walked from Beaulieu Sur Mer to Cap Ferrat and it was beautiful. If I remember correctly the path was paved the whole way and of course the scenery is gorgeous. In Menton there is also a really long boardwalk that goes on for longer than we ever wanted to walk (I think I read somewhere that is goes all the way to Monaco).

If you buy the Rick Steves book on Provence and the French Riviera he gives lots of walking options in that area.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM

bookmarking

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ZoeB. I think that is what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have an idea of the prettiest scenery from Cassis to Menton? Is it along the coast, or a different way?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Hi

the coast road Cassis - Menton is pretty after Frejus. There is not much traffic generally in May, but it is slow !

On the other hand, you don't see much from the motorway.

So why not allow a full day, use the motorway to Frejus, then follow the coast ?

Bonne chance

Peter
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:45 AM

As Peter has said, take the autoroute from Cassis to Frejus, then the N98 along the coast (La Corniche d'Or - one of the world's most scenic drives) to La Napoule/Mandelieu. With stops, this will take an hour or more (there are nice secluded bays which are gorgeous for swimming and snorkeling).

Then take again the autoroute and leave at Nice Airport. Just before the airport, go again on the N98 and drive along the beach of Nice. In Villefranche, climb up the D133 to the Moyenne Corniche, the N7. Stop at Eze. From Eze, take the D46 or D45 up to the Grande Corniche. See La Turbie. From there, continue to Menton.

See www.viamichelin.com and zoom in.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM

You can walk along the coast from Cap Martin to Monaco. The walk begins at the west end of the parking lot in Cap Martin and is called Promenade Corbusier (sp?). We did it last week....it's approx 5 miles and has incredible views. There are steps involved if that's a problem.

After about 4 miles there is an accessible train station at Cabbe (sp) if you want to end the walk there.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 02:28 AM

You can walk around Cap d'Antibes from La Garoupe Beach near Antibes. Take "Sentier Tirepoil ", then "Sentier des Douaniers".
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help. I've ordered Rick Steve's book for walking itineraries, as well as copying suggestions from here. I've also have checked out viamichelin.

I can't wait (and it's still over 3 1/2 months away!)