Good base for Pueblos Blancos?

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good base for Pueblos Blancos?

As part of our upcoming trip to Spain the end of March, we want to spend 3 days in Pueblos Blancos area to explore the villages, do some hiking, and just relax in the countryside. I have been hearing that Ronda is getting pretty congested with tourist traffic, and may not be the best place to drive in and out of every day. How about some of the other smaller towns, or even a rural b&b. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:38 AM

If you want a relatively untouristed area and some pretty challenging hiking, check out the Alpujarras. The white towns perched precipitously on the steep sides of the mountains are very picturesque and yet not remote. Do a search on this Forum and on Google to find other info and places to stay.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

anyone else?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM

zootsi,
If you want to do hiking in the Pueblos Blancos of the Arcos to Ronda, Serranía de Ronda area, then stay in Ronda, Arcos or Grazalema. Yes, Ronda is somewhat congested during the day with bus tours and parking is tight, but it quiets down considerably at night. "Alavera de los Baños" is below all the congestion, near the Arab Baths, and it's more of a casual B&B type atmosphere.
But if you're looking for an inexpensive rural inn where you can hike in the Parque Natural de Grazalema, you can find it in my favorite little pueblo blanco, Grazalema at the Puerta de la Villa
www.grazhotel.com (hotel or apartments) or the Villa Turística de Grazalema (apartments)
www.tugasa.com
There's also El Horcajo below Ronda on the way to Grazalema and within the northern border of the park (but beware the road down to it!) which is used by hiking groups such as Camino Tours.
www.elhorcajo.com

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM

I would be surprised if traffic is a problem in Ronda at the end of March. Ronda has one saving grace however - the underground parking lot in the middle of town. I've never had a problem finding a place.

An alternative near Ronda is Benoajan. Try the Molino del Santo. [do a search]Run by an English couple, it is popular with Brit hikers and naturalists. They furnish trail maps etc. Do a search.

As noted, Grazelema is a good alternative. I don't recall anything in El Bosque. You might also look at Zahara de las Sierras. I'd be surprised if there were not something there.

Re Alpujarras: Not a bad idea. Try the villages above Lanjaron: Capiliera, Bubion, etc. Note: It may be cold at the end of March in the high country. There is snow in March, but I am not sure how long it lasts. BTW: if you are squeamish about driving without guardrails, cross the Lanjaron road off your list.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:11 PM

zootsi,
There are alternative lodgings in many of the pueblos blancos. Yes, there are inexpensive places in El Bosque, in Jimena de la Frontera, in Zahara de la Sierra, you name it... It really depends on how much you want to spend.
In Zahara de la Sierra, there's the very inexpensive "Marqués de Zahara" right in town on the main drag and the "Arco de la Villa" closer to the castle in ruins, with great views.
In Jimena there's the "Hostal El Anon"- (see www.andalucia.com/jimena/hostalelanon)
I personally don't find El Bosque to be one of the most enchanting of the while villages, but there's lodging there too, the very inexpensive "Las Truchas", also a member of Tugasa. See www.tugasa.com
You have almost a dozen options in the white villages between and around Arcos-Ronda, not even to mention the multiple options in Arcos, such as El Convento, La Casa Grande, Marqués de Torresoto and Haciendo El Santiscal, a cortijo outside of town.
Have fun choosing!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:18 AM

Hi zootsi: for more info on pueblo blancos - try www.rusticblue.com and click on "where". Lots of pictures and maps.Also a good choice of hotels.I am leaving this a.m. for Spain.Will be in that area for a month.
Have a great trip!