Going to Spain next week!

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Spain next week!

Getting a bit excited about my first trip to Spain and have a few last minute questions.

Itinerary: Fly into Madrid, spend 2 nights (really only want to see Prado, do some walking and experience nightlife so this should be plenty of time); take AVE train to Sevilla, spend 4 nights; taking Renfe train to Granada, spending 2 nights (already reserved Alhambra tour tickets); taking Renfe back to Madrid for night before flight home to USA (realize this is a long train ride, about 5 hours).

Questions:
Anyone have experience with the Hammam bathhouse in Granada? Website (http://www.hammamspain.com/granada/) looks like a nice, relaxing time but haven't heard any recommendations or review.

My AVE train tickets arrived with my seat and my companion's seats in different rows, which I thought was strange. How difficult will it be to switch seats with someone so we can sit together?

Are Renfe tickets easy to purchase same day at station?

Any restaurant recommendations from the crowd for any of the three cities? We love tapas and wine!

Any bar recommendations for watching the World Cup?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Anyone anyone?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Here are two tapas bars in Seville that I liked very much:

Casablanca..(do not have address; near Ameerican Express office)
Bodega Paco Gongora...Calle Padre Marchena, 1
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM

In Seville, I recommend Robles Tapas. The service and food were fantastic. We had the best olives ever and they had a great squid stew with peas (guiso de chocos). I don't have the address, but it's in the touristy area by the cathedral.

On Santa Maria Blanca, there's a place called La Mezquita where we had some yummy tapas, especially the pork meatballs in a smoky sweet sauce.

In Granada, do not go to Meson Andaluz (on a small street off Elvira). The food was so greasy and left me sick for the rest of the day. My digestive system couldn't handle all that olive oil!

Do go to a place called Antigua Castaneda on Elvira. We had the best house croquetas. Service was good and so was the selection of tapas.

Have fun!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:14 PM

If you like modern art at all, I suggest you go to the Sofia as well as the Prado--Picasso's Guernica is there, as well as some other great works--and it's near the Prado.

If it's not too late to change your tickets, I'd suggest an open-jaw--fly into Madrid and out of Malaga--so that you don't have to backtrack all that distance.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 11:43 PM

The Bathhouse in Granada: Very, very relaxing as you can imagine. Well worth the visit and I can recommend the massage too