Search

Going to Rome!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Enzo

Going to Rome!

I will be travelling to Rome this August and will be staying in rome for a couple of nights. I was wondering if anyone has any information regarding a half decent place to stay. I've already been warned about the Terminal Stazione and the hotels in the area, but it appears that it has the cheaper hotels. I am travelling with my wife and two year old son, so safety is my big concern. We want a central location since we will be walking to most of the tourist traps. We want to see Trevi fountain, the Colosseum, the Vatican and the Spanish Steps among other sites. I wouldn't mind paying up to $120 American ($200 Canadian) a night. Or am I just dreaming? Thanks

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Ed

That's not the high end of the price scale, but not at the bottom either. <BR> <BR>FYI the areas to the west and north of the train station are not bad at all. <BR> <BR>You'll find several recommendations in and near your price range (below and above) at www.twenj.com/romehotel.htm Be sure and see www.twenj.com/romehelloitaly.htm as well. <BR> <BR>Note that virtually all the best value-for-money accommodations are small properties ... make your reservations early if you're picky about your choice. <BR> <BR>Don't know what tourist traps you'll be walking to. If you're talking about Rome's sights, they're hardly traps ... just among the most memorable sights in Western civilization. <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 02:32 PM
Cathy

Enzo, <BR>When I was last in Rome we stayed in Hotel Napeolon on Pzz Emmaneul and there were several families with small children staying and they all seemed very happy with it. The entrance to the hotel is at the entrance to the Metro ie it is very centrally located and relatively cheap with lots of good traditional local restaurants used by the locals. It might be worth checking out. Otherwise check out Ed's site - it is excellent. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 05:13 PM
howard

Whoever warned you about the hotels near the Termini has given you a bum steer. The area is safe and close to public transportation. True, there are more ideal locations, but we were not inconvenienced at all, and again, felt it was a safe area. Reconsider that location, especially if the price is right.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 07:20 PM
Margo

Neighborhood surrounding <BR>Stazione Termini <BR>There are some great hotels located on both sides at good prices. Most of these hotels have been newly renovated into modern comfortable hotels. If you are looking for old world hotels with Italian flavor, then you need to stay near the historic center and be willing to pay more lire for less comfort. The south side area of Stazione Termini is experiencing a restoration comeback, but it is still filled with fumes and noise from heavy traffic of buses and cars. The north side has really been improved tremendously over the past couple of years. It is a true renaissance in the making. Although both sides of the station are relatively safe, I find the north/right side/track 1 (the Russian & Turkish embassies, government offices and many banks are located on the north side) to be more appealing than the south/left side/track 22. As I mentioned in the introduction of this book, I don’t consider any city in Italy including Naples to be as dangerous as New York City (where I was born and raised) or Los Angeles (where I currently live). There are a lot of people constantly hanging out around the train station as well as plenty of police officers (including undercover police officers). I walked around the entire area late at night by myself and never felt threatened. Your biggest concern should be the pickpockets when you are in the Termini train station or on Via Giovanni Giolitti which parallels the station. But then, they are everywhere in Rome, especially at the Vatican and Spanish Steps. Also, pickpockets disguise themselves as nuns and priests around the Vatican. The only down side to staying near the train station is that you are forced to catch the metro, bus or taxi back to your hotel in the evenings after visiting all the sights and the wonderful, energetic historic center. <BR>

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Linda

Stay away from Termini. It isn't dangerous in the American sense, but it is sleazy. Not far from Termini, but closer yet to the Collosseum is the Duca d"Alba Hotel. The rooms are quiet, very clean, marble bathrooms and the staff is first rate. Check out the price, but we found it more than reasonable for Rome ([email protected]). They include an excellent breakfast. Enjoy

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:43 PM
howard

Once again, based on our experience, I must disagree with what I feel is an exaggerated negative view of the Termini area. As Margo explained earlier on this post, the area has improved. Not only did we enjoy our hotel, but the surrounding area was convenient for restaurants, transportation and other services. And, we felt perfectly safe coming back at night on the Metro and walking 2-3 blocks to our hotel. While not at the center of things, we found it convenient enough to walk to many of the sights including the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

Old May 5th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Denise

We just returned from Italy one week ago. We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo located in the Campo di Fiori area, which is central to everything. The area is very safe. We paid $130.00 for three(13 year old). Perhaps it would be cheaper for a toddler. The room we had was clean and decent. However, half the hotel is renovated and the rooms are very lovely with new marble floor throughout. This rate did not include breakfast, but everyday there is a large fruit and vegetable market two blocks away. We would buy bread at a great nearby bakery and pick up fresh fruit. I really liked the area as it was a short walk to everything and had many restaurants in the area. I would also contact the Albergo Sole in the same area. We also considered this hotel, but opted for the less expensive one (a difference of about $20.00). If you are interested I can look up the email and FAX numbers. I can also give you the name of some great restaurants to go to. Ed's site is also very helpful. Both places are recommended there. <BR> <BR>Good luck. I envy you! <BR> <BR>Denise

Old May 6th, 2000, 08:34 AM
celeste

I agree with Denise re Hotel Smeraldo, there is nothing special about it, but it has clean rooms, central location, polite, responsive management and reasonable price ($115 for 3 people).

Old May 6th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Ishoo

Absolutely nothing wrong with the area west of Termini, stayed for nine days in March, and was pleased with restaurants, transportation and convenience. However, don't think you will find much for $120.00 especially during Jubilee year. Keep in mind that many Romans go on holiday during August and many places will probably be closed. Of course they may forego vacations to take advantage of all the tourists expected this year. Enjoy your stay, Rome is a fabulous city to visit.

Old May 6th, 2000, 09:08 AM
scigirl

Hi! Just back from Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Des Artistes (06 4454365). It is about 5 blocks from Termini, off the track one side (north). It is very clean, has very friendly staff, is close to the Metro and to the main station. We had no problem with the area, and walked around quite safely at night. There were many restaurants and hotels on the streets nearby. Over Easter Sunday we paid just about 125.00 a night for a large double with shower (newly renovated - we may have been the first people to use the room). The (English speaking) staff was very friendly and helpful. Room includes breakfast (juice, coffee or hot chocolate, rolls, jam, etc.). Becuase of new windows traffic noise was blocked and the room was quiet. <BR> <BR>We found the hotel over the internet and booked that way without problem.