Reload this Page >

Going to Paris for a Week...Need Your Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:03 PM
prettyfatgirl

I am going to Paris for a week in December. I have sooo many questions!!

What is the average temp in Paris in early december?

If I stay in the area 18 (that is the section number shown on maps), is that very unsafe? I grew up in some rough areas, so I feel somewhat street smart.

Also, how long should I plan in between connecting flights when I come back through customs?

How long is the train ride from Paris to London? Where can I find the website for info on it?

I am sooo sorry for so many questions. I am just clueless about the whole thing.

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky you!!

Average temps in Dec are somewhere in the 40's, I believe.

The 18 arrondisement- it all depends on the area..not my favorite but I am sure there are others who have stayed there and will have good advice for you.
It is a good area to browse and sightsee though.

I have never flown to Paris and had to connect, don't know that one. But Customs can be a breeze or a b-tch so try to keep a good amount of time between..

EuroStar is 3 hours. www.raileurope.com

You won't be clueless for long!! We were all clueless once, some of us still are LOL

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Assuming you are coming back through customs and immigration into the US, and that is where your connecting flight will be, help us help you by telling us what airport. The layout and logistics are different in different places.

Also, should we assume your international flight and domestic flight are not on the same airline? Because if you book it as one ticket, with the same airline or partner airlines, then they have some responsibility to you if the international flight is delayed and you miss the connecting flight. If they are two separate tickets, you could have a problem if you miss the 2nd flight.

Also, when in December? Around the holidays will be very busy and take longer. Without knowing anything else, I would say 2 hours would be the absolute minimum between flights. More would be better.

And FYI, the "areas" in Paris are called "arrondissements" and are generally referred to as "the 18th" etc.

Give us more info, we can help!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM

The 18th is a setting for the movie, Amelie. We stayed in Montmartre area and had a wonderful time. It is not near the downtown major attractions, but it's a short subway ride away. There are some places nearby that can be a little seedy, but no one will really bother you. Where exactly are you thinking of staying?
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:39 PM
prettyfatgirl

More Info....Thank You Everybody!!

I will be leaving from sfo in early december. I am worried about customs on my way back....which will be probably through nyc or newark, nj or dallas, tx.

i am considering buying my tickets thru travelocity or expedia......different airlines for connections, but the tickets are bought together.

i forget the name of the hotels i have seen, but they are in my price range...around 56-65 bucks a night...all
in the 18th.

another question....will i need snow boots? what the heck are those? we don't get much snow in california.

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM

Customs in March going through Newark took a long time, the lines were very long. I would have been nervous if I had a connecting flight in less than 2 hours. All of our connecting flights were about 4 hours apart..plenty of time to find our way to gates and relax while we waited to board.

Hotels in Montmarte tend to be less but those prices are really low! Do give names .

I think just plain boots will be enough. LOL snow boots most likely will not be required..although it might / probably will rain a bit at least.
Just take warm clothes, layers, scarves, gloves and thick socks

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM

If you can buy it as one ticket (i.e., the airlnes are "partners&quot, you're better off. As Scarlett said, 4 hours is a good amount of time. Better to have more time than less for the connection. It's winter, flights get delayed, etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:46 AM

$56-65 US dollars?
Those prices aren't just low, they are scary.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
prettyfatgirl

Why are they scarey? I saw them with Expedia.com ?

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM

That price in Montmartre really might be scary. I would look for something in the 1-8 arrondisements. These are more central and will be MUCH easier for a first timer to get around in. And I think there may be some in that range. But remember, that amount of dollars is 40+€ and that is really low.
What is your total budget?

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM
prettyfatgirl

my total budget for hotels is about 500-600 dollars. but i will also be traveling to london for 2 or 3 days as well.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:08 AM

so that's up to 10 nights in London and Paris for a total budget of $600, or about $60 per night?
I think you should concentrate on hostels or B&Bs, because at that price level, hotels in Paris and especially London could be very unpleasant.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:10 AM

For Paris, take a look at the
Tinquetonne. It might be just slightly over your budget, but not by much. It's in the 2nd district, much preferable imo to the skankier sections of the 18th.

Why are you considering booking through Expedia, especially when you seem to know little about the hotels they are offering?
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:24 AM

I've just checked on the other OP postings. I'm outta here.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:33 AM
prettyfatgirl

Why is there such animosity? I don't get it.

I am asking questions here because I am clueless about the issue. I am just trying to get as much information as possible so that I can make an informed decision.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:46 AM

You might talk to a travel agent. They usually have agreements with some hotels for discounted rates. When I used a travel agent to go to Paris, I paid quite a bit less for the room, but of course I had to use their "contracted" hotel.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:02 AM
prettyfatgirl

Thank you so much! I am going to talk to one tomorrow.

I appreciate all of your help. You guys (and gals) are wonderful !

I actually wrote to a hotel using a french translation program online. I feel like I am in my high school french class all over again.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Check out the hotels you've chosen on Tripadvisor.com and see what other people may have said about them.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
LTR

Are you leaving from the Los Angeles area? We had a great non stop flight package plan last April through Air Tahiti Nui that included the hotel. They said the hotel was in the 9th, but it was probably more like the edge of the 18th. It was 1/2 block from the D'Anvers metro stop. We never felt uncomfortable coming home late, but I have the philosophy that you should always be aware of your surroundings.

At $599 for flight AND 6 nights hotel, it was a real bargain. The airline was great, the hotel was clean and quiet, the free breakfast was ok. If you are looking luxury, it wasn't, but if you are looking for convenience to metro, and a bed to sleep in, you might want to check it out.

Their non package flights are more expensive, and other hotels are different prices, but you might want to check it out and compare.

If you want more info, let me know.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM

By the way, you can buy a pocket size English-French electronic tranlator at an electronics store such as Radio Shack. Takes time to use them, but they are occasionally very helpful.