Going to Nice, France with boyfriend

Jan 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Going to Nice, France with boyfriend

My boyfriend and I are going to Nice for a week. We love art, delicious food & wine, and small, interesting, & unique spots/things to see/do. We don't want to do anything too touristy and really want to get a taste of the South of France. We are in our 20's and are open to exploring the city. What do we have to do? Where do we have to eat, shop, go, etc.?
Jan 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

(We also love music!)
Jan 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM

We loved the market in Nice and the old town (I can't remember if that's got a specific name).

From Nice, we did day trips to Eze and Saint Paul de Vence both of which are very touristy but still worth seeing because of their beautiful views, especially Eze, and it seemed to me that SPDV was full of art galleries.

I envy you your trip!
Jan 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM

You'll want to visit the Fondation Maeght near St. Paul de Vence for its modern art. Nice also has a lovely Matisse museum where the original furniture is at times placed next to its painting.
Jan 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM

The Chagall museum in Nice is extremely good, and there are Dufy paintings in the Musée des Beaux Arts. There's also an excellent modern-art museum, and it's near a local favorite for seafood, the Café de Turin

The market in Vieux Nice is on the Cours Saléya, a large plaza between the Promenade des Anglais and the old town. A restaurant there that we liked a lot is La Voglia--great Italian food. At the opposite end of Vieux Nice is another good restaurant, L'Ecurie; it has a nice mix of Niçoise and Italian food, including petts farçis, little veggies stuffed with rice and ground meat.
Jan 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
spk

Thank you all so much. We are in the middle of our trip now. We have already been to the Chagall and Matisse museums, the market in Vieux Nice, and ate at La Voglia and loved it all. We are planning our day trips now. Loved your suggestions. Thank you all!

akarasyk