Going to Krakow- Need help!

Aug 26th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Missy

Going to Krakow- Need help!

I am traveling to Krakow in October. I am traveling with my father. We are looking for a quiet, clean hotel. Anyone have an idea? The guides suggest the Rezydent. Anyone been there?

We are planning on taking walking tours on our own of the city and the Schindler tour.

We'd like to be able to walk.

Aug 26th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Linda

You will enjoy Krakow! The city is not that big, the old town section is most interesting, Wawel Castle, the old Jewish sector, and the salt mines just outside town. You can take a city bus tour to Auschwitz/Birkenau camps for about $28. Be sure to go to Zakopane (small resort village in the Tatras Mountains about 2-hour bus ride from Krakow). You catch the bus next to the train station and it's about $9. Zakopane is nice, you can go up the mountains, shop the shops & eat good food.
For hotels, try hotelsinpoland.com or polandhotels.com for information. I stayed at the Polonia because it was inexpensive but nice, 2-minute walk from train station and 3-minute to old town. They have nice amber jewelry, crystal, etc.

Sep 1st, 2001, 02:29 PM
Virginia

Unfortunately I don't know hotels there but have been often, as I have a friend there. Definitely stay as close as possible to the center--you want to be inside the Planty, a park that rings the city, and ideally close to the Sukiniecza (this is spelled wrong), the market square.
Be sure to go see the Leonardo painting which is in a tiny museum. Painting--Lady with an Ermine.
If religion or Polish history is meaningful to you, try to get to the shrine of Czestochowa, the Black Madonna and major icon of Poland (and a major icon of world Christianity), credited with many miracles. It is at the monastery at Jasna Gora. It is not a secret destination, literally millions of Polish people make pilgrimages there in August.
If you go, find out where the picture is on display--it is ceremonially opened and closed at different times in the day. Jasna Gora has a web site.

Sep 1st, 2001, 08:32 PM
travelman

To Missy. Hotel Rezident is a fine place right of the main square.A bit too expensive for my blood ,but a great choice in great location.If you have more questions just leave a message here.Travelman

Sep 2nd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Frances

We stayed at the Pod Rosa which is on the Ulica Florianska and I doubt you'd get anywhere more central.The hotel was perfect for what we wanted and had astounding breakfasts with lovely apple cake!

Sep 2nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
carol

We stayed at the Pod Rosa, also. Worked great. Also, second Leonardo's painting of Lady with mink/weasel. Loved Krakow.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
noname

We did not enjoy Krakow. It is dirty and very poluted. Zakopane is OK but it became too crowded in July.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 03:07 PM
sarah

Have not stayed there myself-but somebody on Fodors recently posted a recommendation for Hotel Batory in Krakow. On the website it looks good -www.hotel-batory.pl. I do not agree with the above posting Krakow is not polluted and it's possibly one of the cleanest cities I have been to in Europe! I am sure you will have a great time it is a lovely city.

Sep 2nd, 2001, 09:25 PM
alan

Hi We were in Krakow about 4 yrs. ago, didn't find it dirty at all. People have got to remember that the government inpower for 45 yrs. did not do much for the environment. I seen many closed, rusting factories and smokestacks in the countryside of eastern europe. Back to your question. We stayed at the Europejski, it is near the train station and was very reasonable. We drove and it also had a parking garage which is very important. Visit Kazimierz, it is the old Jewish area and historic. We walked there from our hotel, a long walk but worth it. We took a tour offered by the Jewish bookstore in the square, it had to have been better than the Orbis tours. We took a tour to the salt mine with Orbis and the tour guide most have been one of the old communist tour guides, not much information on what really occured there, especially during the Holocaust.
enjoy your trip
alan