Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Europe - and Pregnant!! Any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are planning our last hurrah (only kidding) in September. I'll be 5 months. Baby is due in January. Dr OKs it for now, if anything goes wrong we can always cancel, but for now it's full steam ahead. We're planning on London and Paris, 3 nights in each. I haven't had any sickness yet, and by then, any that I do have should have abated - but this is the first, so please tell me if I'm wrong about that!!

Has anyone travelled overseas while pregnant, and do you have any advice? I'm fairly active so I can handle lots of walking, but I'm a little nervous about bathrooms, snacks to take along, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM

I traveled to Italy twice while pregnant, in my fourth and fifth months.The second trimester is usually considered the best time to travel but of course no one can predict how you will be feeling at that time. Keep well hydrated on the plane and get up and walk frequently. I wouldn't worry about bringing snacks unless there is something specific you must have and it can't be purchased in either London or Paris. I always found an afternoon nap/rest with my feet up in the hotel room to be necessary, so try and reserve the most comfortable hotels you can afford.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:45 PM

Most of the cheese in France is unpasteurized, and therefore you should not eat it unless you are certain that it is pasteurized. If you are really hankering for some brie in France, the supermarket brand President is pasteurized, or at least was so 2 yrs. ago when I was in Paris with my pregnant daughter.

Paris is a wonderful place to shop for some special baby clothes! I recommend Tartine et Chocolat, Jacadi, Bonpoint, and Petit Faune, and Catamini. And Galeries Lafayettes dept. store has many baby boutiques within its baby section.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:13 PM

I travelled Europe while 4-5 months pregnant. Good advice above re rests and water (you can drink the water in Paris and London).

Toilets are hard to find in France, so NEVER pass a toilet - especially if it is free. Good places are art galleries, museums and dept stores. Otherwise you'll have to buy a drink in a cafe to use theirs, but you probably want to sit down and rest your legs anyway. You pay more for a coffee if you sit in Italy - can't remember about France. I found it a wonderful way to pass a pregnancy - drank apple juice instead of wine.
Bon Voyage!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:20 AM

I traveled to London, Brighton, and Paris for 3 weeks when I was 5 months along with my daughter (who is about to graduate from high school!).

Every pregnancy is different, so the best thing you can do is listen to your body -- some gals need a bathroom every hour (I wasn't one of those, fortunately), others do need to put their feet up or even nap after lunch. All we can say for sure is: stay hydrated, listen to your body, and have a great time!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:43 AM
ira

Hi 4sammy,

The sidewalk toilettes in Paris cost 0.40 E. You must have EXACT change.

Keep a supply of 0.05, 0.10 and 0.20 coins with you at all times.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:26 AM

I always want to write in when I see this question but never do...my experience travelling while pregnant was horrible and probably not the norm. But it was my first pregnancy...I was having a very normal pregnancy...everything was by the book. On a flight back from Bermuda (maybe it was the triangle) I had a placental abruption upon landing (I was 5 months pregnant). Almost lost our little boy and relaized at that time what a tragedy it all could have been. I would NEVER get on a plane again while pregnant..IMO any trip is just not worth it.

Go with your gut (no pun intended) if it feels right go - my situation is rare but be aware that problems can happen abroad, at home or even "in the air", upon landing...be prepared. But if you do go - rest rest rest while you're there and drink drink drink water.. good luck.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:50 AM

I've travelled while 5 and 6 months pregnant (overseas; to NY since I live in Europe) and never had a problem. Healthcare is good in London and Paris should there be an emergency. Good advice from Grandmere about shopping. Also, should you need clothes for yourself, there are branches of Formes in Paris and London; very nice maternity wear.
Just a 'toilet' tip; I often just walk into any grand hotel; there are always toilets near the conference/meeting rooms or near the restaurant. Just walk in as if you belong there, and they will never question wether you are actually staying there (especially in large hotels). And they would certainly not stop a pregnant woman. In London, Claridges in Brook Street has particularly nice toilets (on the ground floor). In Paris, try the ones at Costes on Faubourg St Honore; it's straight ahead when you enter the hotel, then at the end, in the bar area, there are steps on the left leading down to some very nice bathrooms.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 03:53 AM
awbaker

I also travelled during the second trimester of both my pregnancies -- 1st time to Japan, 2nd time to Paris. I felt so good during my 2nd trimesters. I never felt tired like I did in the 1st & 3rd trimesters. I did have a scary moment on the flight over to Japan -- I started feeling a tiny bit crampy which made me panic. Nothing was wrong, but it was a very scary feeling.

I was one who constantly needed a restroom handy, and I didn't seem to have a problem finding one in Paris. My husband was happy stopping at the many cafes on our walks to museums.

The above-mentioned baby clothes brands/stores are good. I'll add Petite Bateau to the list. The pajamas and onesies are fantastic. But I never bought clothes for my babies until my 8th or 9th months. It was just a crazy superstition thing.

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:22 AM

My friends who have had kids here in Europe say that French pharmacies sell some excellent creams for the "heavy leg" feeling during pregnancy. They said the creams really helped them. Also, phermacies sell some wonderful baby products--baby shampoos, lotions, etc.
Cache-Cache is another French clothing line for mums to be.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 04:57 AM

4totravel, I'm glad that your scare had a happy ending. I don't think you're wrong to bring this up, and it's not the first time I've heard of it happening.

Doctors always say there's no evidence that fying is hazardous, but it seems to me that the studies that show that it isn't have not yet been done. I had a placental-problem scare myself right after a flight (one of my other pregnancies) and the doctor who saw me never even knew that I'd just gotten off a plane when it happened.

Back when I was expecting my first, in the 60s, doctors actually recommended wine for pregnant moms, it wasn't until the late 1970s that fetal alcohol syndrome was even reconized. If it took them thousands of years to put together the risks of alcohol, we should not assume that the risks of flying have bene figured out -- you can't get the right answers without asking the right questions!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Anonymous - wow - I have never heard of anyone else having a problem with flying until I read your email...that is truly very interesting. I never thought to do any research on it...but I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that what happened was caused by the plane coming in for a landing and the pressure in the plane or something to do with flying.

The interesting thing about what happened was because we were coming in for a landing no one could come over and help me (not that they could do much anyways.) People all around my husband and I were calling for the flight attendants - getting up out of their seats to get help and the FAs just told them to get back in their seats. I often thought that if you were having a heart attack on the plane during take off and landing no one would come to help you. Although because of the emergency nature we did get right up to gate (the pilot had just announced we were going to be awhile - then got back on and announced we were cutting the line).
But, thank God above, I certainly did have a happy ending - thank you.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What a bunch of great responses. 4totravel, that is a very scary story; I will definitely keep it in mind. But as long as my doc thinks things look good, I will probably still go...

And what great notes about the shopping. I hadn't even thought of the cute baby and maternity clothes I can buy while I'm there!!! I will bring this list with me.

Any more? Keep em coming..
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Traveled to Europe (London, Bordeaux and
Vienna) when I was 5 mos. pregnant, and
to Hong Kong and Bangkok at just 7 mos.
Agree that second trimester is the safest
and most comfortable time. However, every
person is different, and so an evaluation of
your health and the advisability of travel
by your own M.D. is critical. One thing I do
recommend (although airlines vary on their
policies) is to take a letter from your doctor
with you (written and signed within 2 weeks
of travel), noting that you have been examined and that in his/her opinion it is
safe for you to travel. Very rarely are these
letters required, but once in a while you get
a gate agent, etc. who might cause a problem/delay. Better to be completely prepared!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 01:20 AM

That's good advice from boonie; I've heard of pregnant women being stopped from boarding without a doctor's letter. The check-in staff can't always tell how far along you are, and don't generally allow women more than 7 months pregnant on a plane without a doctor's letter.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 11:50 AM

My wife has been to Europe while pregnant twice. Both times she was in her second trimester...the safest time according to her OB/Gyn. I can't say it was a piece of cake. She had to slow down considerably from our usual pace...long train rides (more than a few hours length) made her sick...she could only walk half the usual distance...she avoided wine and coffee...and the ubiquitous cigarette smoke was a definite problem. She needed a midday rest...and didn't stay up late. We slowed down considerably for the second trip and stayed just in one city and took a few day trips. She has already told me she wouldn't travel such a distance again while pregnant even if the doc says its okay. There's just too much that can go wrong.
And by the way, your Europe travel habits will likely change drastically after you have kids, unless you're willing to leave them with somebody else for a week or two. We're not willing to do so. So for us this year, its the Florida Gulf Coast.