Going through customs?

Search

Going through customs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going through customs?

We're travling from LAX to Dublin with a stop in Chicago. Will we need to recheck in our bags at any point? What about the return? I'm trying to give us enough time during our layovers if this is to occur. Last time we went through Canada and it was a nightmare! but I'm wondering if we will go through this in the U.S. or if our bags are checked in through our destination. And if we don't need to, is an hour layover going from LAX and stopping in Chicago enough time? or should I seek out a 2 hour layover just in case. Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM

In all cases like this with me i've always had to retrieve my bags in the first stop in US - Chicago in your case, go thru Customs then re-check them onto the next plane. I know of no exception to this policy even if the plane you're on is continuing on to your destination.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM
sandi

If both the LAX/ORD and ORD/DUB are written as one ticket, your luggage should be checked thru to Dublin. While 1-hr is a nice layover, should your flight out of LAX be delayed, and if you have to change terminals, this might very well be cutting it close.

On the return, you will clear immigration and customs at your point of entry - Chicago. Here, even if your luggage tags are marked thru to LAX, you'll collect your bags from the carousel, then recheck them. There is usually an area right near the carousel where you can do this. The bag will then be put on the same connecting flight you'll be taking to LAX.

And again, you should allow sufficient connecting layover for arriving in ORD, clearing customs, rechecking your bag, clearing security and connecting to LAX flight - 2-hrs. minimum.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Okay, so we only need to worry about our return then coming back into in the U.S. from Dublin? Because the return flight has us stopping into Chicago for 2 hours, but our layover going from LAX to Chicago is an hour. I just want to make sure we have enough time.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM

tlucey, I too, with a ticket straight through, have never had to retrive my luggage and recheckk them in the US. For example, SFO to JFK and then on to Milpensa Italy. But that was always on one ticket.

If I were you I would call your airline and ask them, just so you know for sure.

BTW, I never like like a one hour span between flights. What if your first flight is late arriving? It happens often. I would allow more time.

I agree with what Sandi advised you. But I would ask the airline, if for no other reason you feel relaxed leaving on your trip. Have a wonderfull time
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM

No need to recheck bags in Chicago on your outbound regardless of whether you have one ticket or two tickets or if the flights are on different carriers as long as the 2 carriers have an interline agreement. The only time you run into the recheck issue is usually when you're using a low cost carrier for part of your itinerary. The hour layover could pose a problem if your flight from LAX is delayed. I usually give myself a little more time if there's only one flight option to my destination city that day.

On the return, immigration/customs is at your first point of entry into the US. Two hours should be enough time and if you miss your connection, as long as your flights were purchased as one itinerary, you'll be accomodated on a later flight into LAX.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 05:16 AM

Does your return flight touch down in Shannon? If it's Aer Lingus, it will. You will clear US immigration in Shannon on the way back. You have to take all of your carry on items off the plane (but the checked luggage stays), go through immigration and then reboard the plane.

They moved US immigration to Shannon many years ago because it was costing the airlines so much to return illegal immigrants to Ireland when they were refused entry into the US.