Going solo to Capri? Bad Idea?

Apr 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Going solo to Capri? Bad Idea?

Hi

I need help deciding what to do re: my up-coming vacation. I was suppose to go to Capri with my husband this June/July. He is not going now and I don't want to lose the airfare. Alitalia will not allow me to change my desination. We were there a few years ago on a day trip and fell in love with it. Has anyone been to Capri alone and will I feel uncomfortable being there after the day-trippers leave? I know that there will a lot of homeymooners. I looked into Positano but they are mostly booked. My other option to forfeit the ticket and re-buy and head to the French Riviera. Alitalia won't even let me change or pay the $200 fee. It's a wonder that they are still in business, such jerks.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
ira

Hi S,

Capri will be just as lovely solo as with a TC.

Take plenty of pix to (a) let DH vicariously enjoy it or (B) let the dog know what he missed.

Apr 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

You can stay on the mainland if you don't want to go to Capri for the full time. I have been solo in that area and it is wonderful and so have many other posters from here (Sorrento, Positano, etc.) I would go to Capri solo in a heartbeat!

Go!
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I'd go solo in half a heartbeat!
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Yes, I'd have to say that's a no-brainer-few places more lovely than Capri-I traveled all over the Amalfi Coast by myself (well, I wasn't always by myself, I did do the "dolce vita" thing on the back of a motorcycle around the cliffs and beaches of Sorrento!) BUT I did go off day-tripping by myself around the coast, and loved it. You will too.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Some of my favorite trips have been solo - I would say definitely go for it! Sounds like heaven to me - getting to go somewhere with only yourself to please as far as what to see and when to see it, but then again, I guess I'm selfish
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I've never traveled solo, and would be apprehensive about taking such a trip; however, Capri will be wonderful - you can almost bank on it.

My husband was very sick one year when we were planning a trip to Italy, and he almost didn't go. He was still sick, but decided to go for it and was very glad he did.

I hope your husband isn't in the same predicament.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:46 PM

travmimi, you mean you would go after lub and before dub? lol. Me too actually.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM

SeaUrchin - LOL yes I certainly would
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Hi Stone,

My last trip to Italy was solo for 3 weeks. 6 days on the Amalfi Coast including 2 nights on Capri. No problem!

Go, have fun!
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Hi Stone

I was in your same situation a few weeks ago except my trip was to Florence and Rome. I went alone and had a wonderful time. It will definately be a different trip going alone but it's quite liberating and it's something you will always remember.

Go and have a great time!
Jun 4th, 2007, 07:55 AM

There is a lot to see and do in Capri/Anacapri in the daytime. I think it will be fine to travel there alone. But the evenings are really for couples. Everyone gets paired up, even the kids & teenagers. Although there are people who sit in the square and drink alone, etc. you may find it just a little bit awkward in the evening. If you can, I would recommend bringing someone else along or having dinner earlier in the evening in Capri.
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM

stone1, I read on another post that you ARE going this June/July.

Did you decide to go it alone?