Going rate to unlock GSM Phone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - I think I understand all my options for mobile phone service on our upcoming trip to Scotland from searching this site and others. Pretty much would like to go the pre-paid SIM route.

I currently have a Tri-Mode Motorola V180 GSM phone from the former AT&T wireless. I'm pretty sure it is locked, and can not get the unlock code from Cingular. We would like to have a phone for local calls while in the UK (don’t need a lot of minutes) and to make a few calls back to the states. My current plan is at $2.30/min while in the UK.

So, . . . if I get to the UK and buy a pre-paid SIM and find out that indeed the phone is locked, . . . what is the going rate to have some one unlock it? Is it easy to find people that will do this service? Also, . . . is it possible to purchase a low cost (maybe used?) tri-mode GSM there as a second alternative. Again, . . . don't want to spend a ton on this, . . . but at my current rate, even a couple of 10 minute calls with be over $40.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:54 PM

I found this site, but can't vouch for it, that offers to provide you with the unlocking code for a v180 for US$20:
www.gsm-software.com/unlock/unlockmotorola.html

Another site, however, casts doubt on whether remote unlocking of Motorola phones is feasible - they claim it has to be done over the counter:
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...aunlocking.htm
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM

If you want to get an unlocked phone in the UK, I found a great deal thru carphone warehouse. I think their stores are all over the UK. Actually there are lots of different mobile stores in the UK.

Best deal was a simple unlocked motorola (no camera, just the basics) for 50 GBP with 50 GBP credit on the card. Very cheap to call US, just 5 pence/min, 15p for UK calls. So if you use up the credit, basically you've gotten the phone for free.
Downside: This SIM card can only be used in UK. The UK service is trying to add roaming but not possible at this time. SIM card expires 60 days after last use. Credit is not supposed to expire but I don't know how you use it if the # is gone.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Or, you could get one of those £10 Orange deals and have one of the high-street wheeler-dealers unlock when you buy their SIM.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h.../pay_as_you_go
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 06:22 PM

As I have noted, many stores along Oxford Street offer to unlock phones for £8...your phone is pretty old and your current carrier could probably provide you with a Nokia 3220 triband for free...the only thing is that it will not have 900 but several carriers in the UK offer gsm service on 1800.

The carrier referred to earlier in the thread is Mobile World which is offered by Carphone Warehouse and believe it or not, the cost listed for calls to North America is correct...5p/minute...can't get much cheaper than that....the sim pack itself can be had for about 10 quid (my friend got one for 5 quid in February with 10 quid of credit bought bringing the total package to £15 but that would represent what...300 minutes of calls to North America...down side as noted no roaming with the card and it expires in 60 days of disuse but you really hardly can do better than that even with a calling card (for the anti mobile crowd)...imagine 5p/minute to call North America...15p/minute to call other UK landlines and mobiles.

You can buy their cheapest phone with the package and do quite well...or you can buy an unlocked true gsm mobile (900,1800,1900) on several sites including ebay for around $100 US...or you can wait till the UK go into a mobile phone store and find great deals on used unlocked phones.

The Orange offer Robespierre refers to here is also a nice offer but Orange charges 20p/minute to call the US and the first 3 minutes of use to landlines in the UK is 25p/minute after that for the rest of the day 5p/minute...orange allows roaming and takes 180 days to expire...not a bad deal but the best by far right now is Mobile World.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - lots of good options here!. I do like the Mobile World SIM option for £15 w/£10 credit - and I don't really care about roaming or time period (I will be a one time use for 2 weeks in Scotland). Only thing I could not confirm is coverage map - I looked every where. Anyone know if their coverage is good (doesn’t have to be great) in Central Scotland?

So, . . . it sounds like for around £25 I can either get my phone unlocked & a MW SIM, . . . or get a new/used phone with a SIM. This is exactly the information I was looking for and exactly where I felt I needed to be to make this a viable option. I guess I'll head to Carphone Warehouse as soon as we land in Scotland and see what they can do. I am assuming they can unlock phones there as well.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Actually carphone warehouse, I believe, being an agent of the major phone companies will not unlock phone (it may be part of their agreement)...you will need a store front type place..

MW is an example of the new breed of mobile phone companies called virtual companies...they don't have their own towers but piggy back on the towers of another network. As I remember, MW uses O2 towers so the coverage will be the same as O2-UK which ispretty good throughout the UK....

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:53 AM

BTW you can check carphone warehouse's web site to get some idea of current specials and what they offer but bear in mind what's available on the net and what's available at retail stores sometimes is not the same.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Cool - thanks. O2's coverage did look good for central Scotland.

And thanks for letting me know that Carphone Warehouse likely will not unlock my existing phone for me. I'll either get it done somewhere else in advance, . . . or go the used/new route with them.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:22 AM

"The Orange offer Robespierre refers to here is also a nice offer but Orange charges 20p/minute to call the US and the first 3 minutes of use to landlines in the UK is 25p/minute after that for the rest of the day 5p/minute..."

Yes. That's why I suggested getting it unlocked for use with someone else's SIM. The handset is £9.99, folks.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM

xyz123 is correct about carphone warehouse not unlocking your phone. But they will sell you the mobile world SIM card which you can use if you get your phone unlocked. You can even do that in the US before you leave.

Just to clarify my previous post. The cost of my ENTIRE package (phone + SIM card) was 50 GBP.
I think carphone warehouse had new phones for 20-30 GBP which came with 10 pounds credit already. But look carefully at the service provider. They sell service with O2, orange, Virgin. You'll have to specify that you want the mobileworld service.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM

brentp -

Your question has lots of different answers, depending on where you want to call and for how long. If all you want is service within the UK for a little while, look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/m9lwg
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Last September, I purchased a very basic phone from a Virgin Megastore in the UK (London) for £19.99. It included a Virgin SIM card with £5.00 credit. Worked great.

They didn't have this phone on display. I told the salesguy I was just looking for a cheap phone and he told me about it. It's a Siemens A57. This was cheaper than anything I was able to find at the other phone shops.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. Lots of options. I really do like the Mobile World SIM rates (for calls back to the US + local calls in Scotland).

So, . . . I will try to get my phone unlocked (either before or when we get to Scotland) and go that route. If I'm not successful getting my phone unlocked - I'll see what I can pick up for a low cost new/used/refurbished phone at Carphone Warehouse with the MW SIM. This would give us 200 minutes worth of calls back to the US (more than enough).

As Kayb95 pointed out, . . . a good back up plan will be one of Virgin Mobiles reconditioned phones & SIM (with £5 of credit) which start at ~ £20. This would limit us to 25 minutes of call back to the us – but we could always add more if needed.