Search

Going rate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going rate

What's the going rate for a rental car in Spain. 2 weeks for 2 people with confidence of quality and reliability. Best and most dependable company.
BS
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:48 AM

this is like asking the going rate for a flight...deals change by the minute and depend on a million factors (what city, what dates, model, demand for cars during your visit, deals with "resellers", etc, etc, etc). you really need to just do some research on the net to determine the best deals for the weeks you will be in spain.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi B,

>What's the going rate for a rental car in Spain.<

What kind of car?

Check www.novarentacar.com
www.autoeurope.com
www.tigercarrental.com/
www.argusrentals.com/

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
rex

Please see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34848810

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I suppose my post was somewhat vague. But I'm not a professional poster and appreciate the critique of those that are. 2 people, starting in Barcelona and returning to Barcelona after 2 weeks. Traveling thru Costa Brava thru the Pyrenees to the San sebastian area and back. Usually rent a car that's comfortable for 2 with standard transmission and air conditioning.
BS
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM

i'm not trying to be rude but you are missing the point that it's totally irrelevant what someone paid for their car in Barcelona even a week ago. what is a good rate for today might be an awful rate for tomorrow and vice versa. it's all based on supply and demand over that time period and rates can change by the minute. you need to put in your dates and do your own research.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Well walkinaround.
If a tourist contacted me about a car in the US I might say the same concerning price. Shop around. What is more important is advice as far as dependability of franchises. There are rental companies that I would warn not to use because of bad records or those that don't stand by their product or have bad service records. There are the obvious Hertz, Avis, etc. where reputation is pretty good but one must seek competive prices. Really the dependability, helpful during auto problems and honestly of the rental agency is paramount.
BS
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM

We did a 2-week rental last year picking up and dropping off in Barcelona. We got a compact car (Nissan Micra) and paid (if my memory serves me correctly) around $400 Canadian dollars for the 2 weeks.

We reserved the car months in advance on the Europcar website. That was the best deal we found. You can also try Auto Europe and the major chains (although I've never had any luck with these).
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks pavfec

Just the type of info I was looking for.
BS
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:08 PM

use the links Ira gave you and you will find the right car for your situation.

Have a fun trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those that offered constructive suggestions. I booked a car today. Next is to find a safe, comfortable, relatively inexpensive Hostal in the Barcelona area to re-coop for a couple of days after our flight. I consider inexpensive as under $ 100.00. Anyone know of a nice village to town within taxi distance of the airport? The hostal guide seems to concentrate in the city of Barcelona.
Bs