rome to lake como- train travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any information if taking a train from Rome to Lake Como area is feasible? Type of train,transfering,cost? We're planning this for late October. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Yes its feasible.

Trenitalia has a good website. Also, I somtimes use http://www.deutsche-bahn.co.uk.

You will train from Rome to Milan. and transfer to regional train bound probably for Varenna, on Lake Como.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM

My advice is to forget Lake Como in late Oct. It will be shut down and cold.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM

My advice: Listen to Bob.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree slightly with the "shut down and cold" description. Yes, hotel and restaurant options will be limited, but there are hotels/restaurants open year-round in Bellagio, more in Varenna and many in Menaggio. Weather could be cool and rain is a possibility, but we've been to the mid-lake area a few times in the last week of October and had beautiful weather for all but one day out of about 12.

But would I travel all the way from Rome to Lake Como in late October on the chance that the weather will be good enough to enjoy the area? No. I would go to Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast, two other places where we've had good weather at the end of October.

Nevertheless, if this is your last trip to Italy for the rest of your life, take the train from Roma Termini to Milano Centrale. Change to a train bound for Varenna-Esino. The journey will take, depending on the trains you choose, six or more hours. When you purchase your tickets, buy the return ticket from Varenna-Esino to your next destination because the Varenna station is unmanned. Go to www.trenitalia.com to get the train schedules.