Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going London to Cambridge, Leeds, York. Where else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Leslie

In mid-February, we're renting a car to head north from London, ultimately returning the car to Heathrow.<BR><BR>I would like to see Cambridge, York, & Leeds Castle. Can you suggest any other good towns to visit enroute to these? Have already been to the Cotswolds, Warick, Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Bath and seen Blenheim Palace.<BR><BR>We love castiles and stately homes, pictueresque villages, or places of historical significance. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.<BR><BR>Leslie

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:05 AM
David

I will be in this area in June, and I too am interested in the same type of things.<BR><BR>Does anyone know if the cathedral in Ely is worth a look? Is there anything else to see in Ely or nearby? Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:18 AM
ron

Leslie, you do realize that Leeds Castle is south of London and no place near Leeds in Yorkshire? David, Ely Cathedral is definitely worth a visit. There are other medieval buildings around the cathedral and the tourist office used to be the home of Oliver Cromwell when he was a young tax collector. The other obvious place to visit would be Lincoln (cathedral, castlle, magna carta), on your way to York. Somewhat less obvious would be Norwich (cathdral, lots of old churches, market, neat industrial museum).

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Paeony

Hi. Sadly February isn't a great time to visit because the countryside will look forlorn, but I'm sure you'll have a good time anyway.<BR>As someone else said, Leeds Castle is nothing to do with Leeds - it's near Maidstone in Kent (to the south east of London). Personally I think Leeds Castle is very overhyped.<BR>OK, I've finished being negative. Now for the positive! <BR><BR>If you're going to York then you'll be passing near the Peak District National Park, and Chatsworth House is a must (do double check it's open in Feb - unfortunately lots of these stately homes don't open until April). The Peak District is picturesque and has countryside walks and lots of lovely towns and villages such as Bakewell (home of Bakewell Tart), Matlock, etc. Plus caves and mines.<BR><BR>Also, if you're going to York then above that are the Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Moors, North Yorkshire (and places like Whitby Bay where the legend says Dracula arrived in a storm - you can view the bay from the ruins of the abbey above this seaside town). <BR><BR>Re Norwich, well I'm from there so of course I'll say our cathedral is wonderful! Plus there is loads more to see in Norwich (beware our one-way system when driving!). Ely Cathedral is also good although it doesn't have a lot else around it apart from Ely and flat land.<BR><BR>I'm not sure when the snowdrops will be out this year. It's usually early Feb. At their peak you can walk amongst acres of them at Walsingham Abbey in North Norfolk - it's a a lovely place to walk at the weekend and Walsingham is a very old, quaint town with lots of ancient religious connections (pilgrims still come to the shrine).<BR>If you like old quaint towns then places like Lavenham in Suffolk would appeal (not too far from your Cambridge route).<BR><BR>To be honest I don't really know where to begin. There is so much you could do along your route. You need a good guide book. The main guardians of old houses/stately homes etc. are The National Trust -www.nationaltrust.org.uk and English Heritage (they'll have a web site too). But do check opening times as few are open over the winter.<BR>Sorry to be so vague. You're covering a vast area with loads of possibilities. Have a great time.<BR>Paeony

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Davidx

As an Oxford graduate I do not mind you going to cambridge - but you should see Oxford as well. I live in Yorkshire and I have done some notes which I will try to send by e-mail.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Marla

Have you been to the Cambridge American Cemetery outside Cambridge? We were there last October---beautiful place with a lovely chapel where over 3,000 American soldiers killed in WWII are buried. It's very similiar to the huge cemetery in Normandy, France. The cemetery is three miles outside of town and worth a 30 minute visit if you're going to be in the area.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:05 AM
David

<BR>Paeony, my rough itinerary in June is Norwich 3 nights, Ely 1 night and Cambridge 2 nights.<BR><BR>In Norwich I'm leaning towards the Central Guest House for location and value, any suggestions? And can you recommend a few "don't miss" things to do in Norwich? <BR><BR>Now if I can just have the Central Trains behave the 2nd week in June!<BR><BR>Davidx, I'll give Oxford its due next time. <BR><BR>Leslie, sorry for intruding on your thread so much.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:14 AM
janis

As the others have said - Leeds castle is not on your route since it is southeast of London. But not to worry - the grounds and setting of Leeds is wonderful but the Castle itself is not much - especially in comparrison to other places you will see.<BR><BR>You don't say how long you are taking for your road trip. But assuming you have a week - here are my suggestions:<BR><BR>head into Suffolk/Norfolk NE of London and spend a day/night exploring the area around Norwich and the Wash. Then up to York for 3 days - one full day for the city and the rest for Castle Howard (not to be missed!), the north Yorkshire moors, Whitby and Robin Hoods bay, Riveleaux Abbey, etc. Then south to Cambridge and Ely for the last 2 days before heading back to LHR. <BR><BR>This is a fairly leisurely itinerary and you will see some fabulous places. The windmills and sea coast in Norfolk, Yorkminster and the Shambles, Castle Howard, the Moors, Cambridge, Ely Cathedral and too many others to list. True - you won't get to the Peaks or the Yorkshire Dales - if you are taking more than a week these could easily be included by extending the loop.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:16 AM
elaine

Leslie<BR>I've been investigating visiting Cambridge and Ely recently.<BR>Ely Cathedral sounds wonderful.<BR>I hope to be there in mid-Feb myself, and<BR>I've found out that there is a daily tour at 1:30pm of Cambridge city and the colleges. I don't know if there are other tours during the day during the winter.<BR>You can emial to [email protected]<BR>Ely Cathedral offers tours at 11:15am and 2:15 pm, at least on weekdays.<BR>You can email to<BR>[email protected]

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Leslie

Thank you all for this wonderful information! We only have 4 days, so we will have to make some choices. <BR><BR>David, Elaine: have a great trip.<BR><BR>Pity about Leeds Castle. Oh well, maybe next trip.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 09:17 AM
janis

Leslie - With only 4 days you can certainly see Cambridge/Ely and York but not much else. <BR><BR>I would head out of London straight north to York getting there by mid-morning, and spend 2 nights there. The first day for York city center. Then on the 2nd day drive out to Castle Howard (100 times better than Leeds castle so you won't miss out). It is where Brideshead Revisited was fillmed. After visiting the castle and gardens drive out into the Yorkshire countryside. If you are interested in James Herriott, Thirsk is where his real vetinerary practice was and you can visit it. <BR><BR>The next morning drive south to Cambridge via Ely. Visit Ely Cathedral and then drive over to Cambridge. Walk around cambridge and maybe drive out to the American Cemetary. The last day take a walking tour of Cambridge and visit some colleges. then it is not a bad drive back to LHR - about 60+ miles.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Leslie

Good advice Janis. I'm starting to wonder if it might not make more sense to take the train from London to York. Perhaps stopping for a day and overnight in Cambridge. Can we get around York and Cambridge without a car? I find we could then rent the car in York for the next two days?

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Jan

Please be aware that Castle Howard does not reopen for the new season till March 15th. Check their web site for more details. Also most National Trust properties are closed in February.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Brianh

You would certainly be better off without a car in Cambridge. Public transport is good with plenty of buses from Cambridge railway station to the town centre. From there you can easily walk around the colleges, take a guided walking tour or hop on a sightseeing bus. Ely is only about twenty minutes from Cambridge by train. Apart from the catherdral you can see Oliver Cromwell´s house, which also contains the tourist office. Ely is a pretty little market town.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:05 AM
janis

Oops - I completely missed the "mid-February" part. yes - Castle Howard is closed until Easter. Don't worry about the Nat'l trust properties. In 4 days you wouldn't have much time to squeeze many in anyway. The train works fine for this trip because both York and Cambridge have good connections. But with only 4 days and wanting to make the most of your time you'll probably do a little better by car. You will a lot more flexibility. And the train connections to LHR are not that great - from the north you'd have to go into London and then transfere from Kings Cross to Paddington to get out to LHR. All in all, a car would be more convenient. <BR><BR>The itinerary I suggested still works despite Castle Howard being closed. Other places in/near York that are open include Byland Abbey, Rievaulx Abbey, all the sights in York. If you wanted, you could spend 2 full days in York since there is so much to see - but one days works as well since it is so compact.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 09:42 AM
John

With only a few days, I'd suggest checking with your rental car agency and see if you can pick up the car in York and drop it at LHR for minimal or no charge, thereby allowing you to take the train to York (zoom) and see York without the hassle of the car, then collect it for the drive south. Actually, for just another half hour or so on the train, go on up to Durham (on the same LNER main line) for a visit to the awesome cathedral (leave your bags at the station) then return a couple of hours later to York, etc. The northbound drive from London to York on the main roads is boring, trafficky, and a waste of your scarce time.<BR><BR>Ely and Lincoln are well worth visits, but after York (and especially Durham) you might be a bit over-churched. Consider roaming for a day in Suffolk (around Lavenham) for idyllic countryside and villages.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:07 AM
ron

I would agree with much of what John says. I would add, however, that the southbound drive from York to London on the main roads is also boring, trafficky, and a waste of your scarce time. So I would take the train both ways. And, if you are buying advance purchase train tickets, the return trip is essentially free. Also, enquire before you assume that you can check your luggage at train stations. Post Sept 11, I have been in train stations, e.g. Cardiff, that had (temporarily?) discontinued their left luggage service because they lack X-Ray capabilities.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Leslie

Thank you, all, again. This is tremendously helpful!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Bob McARA

There is no castle in the city of Leeds which is 20 miles from York but it does have the Royal Armouries which is a new world class museum and well worth a visit