Reload this Page >

Go figure...I was wearing shorts and Teva's in Italy and

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 06:59 AM
gb

I was wearing shorts and Teva's in Italy outside our hotel and a woman came up to me, and asked me for directions in Italian! And it happened again a second time in Italy, and once in France. <BR>My two cents on the "dress code" after my recent visit is that most any clothing or shoes are okay. In the cities, during the work week, women are certainly more dressed up with skirts and pants, especially in Italy. Sandals prevailed on women this summer. If you really want to blend in, rent a motor scooter, and wear heeled sandals while driving it! But, at the tourist sites, shorts, pants, skirts, dresses, sandals, sneakers, Mephistos, etc. were everywhere. Unless a person spoke (at a tourist site), I honestly could not tell an European from an American most of the time. (The exception was in teenage tour groups were everyone wore nearly identical Reeboks or Nike, A&F -tshirts, and shorts.) Also, I wore a black, almost knee length skort with a skirt panal in the front, and it was acceptable at the Vatican. Many churches allowed me to wear knee length black shorts, but absolutely did not allow women to wear sleveless tops. If you want to wear shorts (and it is very hot), carry a pareo since they are very much in style and cheap.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Diann

We are just back from Italy and found that much of the advice we had sought in the various travel books was not accurate...the women in Italy are gorgeous and in the hot summer weather are wearing the sexiest low cut tops and dresses, or tight slacks with heels, etc. I felt like such a hick, whereas here in Boston I probably would be considered fine, even "tasteful." Ladies, bring your tiny dresses and tops and be proud. At the Vatican, cover your knees and shoulders and you'll be fine! My children complained that I made them bring clothes that were too sensible!!! In the end, they wore their short shorts in Rome and felt completely comfortable. I would not have worn shorts, but only because the women are indeed fashionable and wear for everyday things that I would consider here in my staid part of the world more suited for parties.