Gnomes in London?

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnomes in London?

Hi everybody!

We'll be in London for 2 weeks in November, and I thought it would be fun to buy a garden gnome while I'm there. I'm looking specifically for gnomes in the same style as those featured in the movie "The Full Monty." I haven't had any luck finding gnomes in the right style on the net or here in the Boston area.

The problem here in Boston, I suspect, is that it's too urban to have any good sources of tacky lawn stuff. I might run into the same problem in London, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen garden/home shops in London selling gnomes.
I don't have a lawn or a garden, but I do have the perfect niche in a stairwell waiting for a gnome...

TIA
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Don't know where in London but there is a lovely shop in Ironbridge on the banks of the Severn with dozens of every size and shape. Have you seen "Amelie"? A gnome is featured in one of the Fawlty Towers episodes also.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
motorgirl. Several years ago. here in a burb of Boston, a guy stole his aunt's gnome and photographed it around the world, sending post cards from it. After the trip it was sent home in a limo with a bottle of champagne. The nephew was all all the talk shows including Letterman and the Today show. I suspect this inspired the writer of Amelie. Only last year, dozens of kidnapped gnomes were found in a forest clearing in Belguim where there is a gnome club.So maybe try our yellow pages> I'll repost if I find anything for you. mimi in Boston
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:11 AM

You might try the Conrad shop. I believe they used to have them. Otherwise, the CASA chain in France has them at the moment
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:18 AM

www.freethegnomes.com
this is the club I mentioned.
www.krupps.com has a selection as do dozens on google for "garden gnomes".
bon chance!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:25 AM

I think I saw garden gnomes at the local Walgreens recently. (I may be incorrectly assuming that Walgreens is a national chain). Don't know what material they were made from. Probably not as exciting as picking one up in London (but a lot easier to get back to your garden).
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Lots of gnomes on ebay. Much easier than carrying them back!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Bootman4U

Buy one at Target, pretend it came from London, and scratch out the "Made in Taiwan" marker on the bottom!

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:16 AM

if you'll have a car you can buy one here.
http://www.gnomereserve.co.uk
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM

If you're a typical visitor, your quest is likely to be in vain.

Gnomes are for suburban gardens. The British term for the place you buy them is "garden centre" - by definition, a kind of store that's located where land, and car parking, is cheap. London's periphery and provincial England temm with them, but few are handy for a visitor in a Central London hotel, dependent on public transport. There are a couple in the centre, and you might have fun with Yellow Pages when you arrive.

Or try the gardening depts at Harrods and Selfridges. The major Home Improvement chains (B&Q and Homebase) stock them sometimes. I can't think of any B&Q branches near the tourist trails, but you might try Homebase in Warwick Rd, London W14.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Whatever you do, don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties.

It's not big and it's not clever.