Glossglockner High Alpine Road

Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Glossglockner High Alpine Road

We will be in Munich/Salzburg area in late September - early October and would like to know exactly where to go to start the Glossglockner high alpine road. We will have a rental car.

We will spend 6 nights in Munich, 4 nights in Grassau in Chiemgau and 6 nights in Schönau am Königssee. Based on where we are staying, from which city would be the best to take the ride? I can't seem to get my head around where the scenic ride starts. I have downloaded the PDFs from the official website, but I'm still lost.

How much time would be reasonable to take the ride and enjoy stopping to "smell the roses?"

Any information would be most appreciative.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:45 PM

This is the second time that I am trying to respond to your query. Hopefully it gets posted this time.

Grassau is your best bet. From there to Buchs, close to where the Grossglockner Hochstrasse starts, is about 120km, all on good roads.

Specifically: From Grassau, from the traffic circle in the village, take the short cut to Piesenhausen, Marquartstein. Shortly before before M., this short-cut ends at the B-305 highway. Take it south through M., to Unterwoessen (that’s where I am originally from), to Reit im Winkel. Save Reit for another visit, instead, before you get into the village, there is another shortcut on your left that by-passes Reit and takes you back to the B-305, coming from Reit.

Your are now on the Deutsche Alpenstrasse, the German Alpine Highway network of especially scenic drives. Follow it in the direction of Ruhpolding, Berchtesgaden. Watch! Just before Ruhpolding, shortly after Fritz am Sannd, the B-305 turns right. You don’t want to go into Ruhpolding, but stay on the B-305. About another 10km, the B-305 is joined by the B-306, coming from Inzell. At that junction, turn right and continue on the B-305 toward Berchtesgaden. After about another 9km, you come to Schneizlreuth. The B-305 turns left, you turn right heading toward Lofer . The highway is the German B-23, later it becomes the Austrian B-312. Just on the outskirts of Lofer, you turn left onto the B-311. Follow it through Saalfelden and Zell am See to Buchs.

It’s difficult to give you a good estimate how long it will take you to drive the Grossglockner Strasse. That deopends a lot on the traffic and the amount of time for your ohhhh and ahhhhs. My suggestion is that you drive it at least to the top and assess your timing, keeping in mind that you have to get back to Grassau.

While in Grassau, aside from the Chiemsee and King Ludwig’s palace on the Herrenchiemsee Island, there are a few other nice outings: Reit im Winkel can be visited as part of a nice loop. Drive to Reit as described above. Continue through Reit and on to Koessen/Tirol. In Koessen, at another traffic circle, watch for the signs to Streichen, Schleching. Right at the Streichen border crossing is a sign for the Streichen Kapelle, a real old chapel. You can drive almost to it. From it you have a nice view of the mountains of the Achental (valley of the Ache stream). There is a chairlift in Ettenhausen, along the way to Schleching. From Schleching you drive back to Marquartstein, etc.

Between Reit and Koessen, on your right side about 3km out of Reit) , is a sign to the Peternhof. This is a nice resort, with a good dining room and great view of the Wilde Kaiser mountain.

Close to Grassau, on the way to Prien (Chiemsee), near Rottau is a nice restaurant up along the side of the mountain It has a great view of the Chiemsee. Can't recall the name right now. The Grassau locals can direct you there.

In Aschau, west of Grassau, a gondola lift takes you to the top of the Kampenwand. Also well worth the trip for the views.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Treplow! I was about to answer you on my Germany post and then saw this one. I posted twice because I forgot to add both tags the first time.

This morning I mapped on Google, the loop trip through Reit im Winkel as you had suggested on my post on the Germany board. The trip looks great! Now on this post you have added even more!

We stayed in Grassau (Sporthotel Achental) in 2009 and did visit the Herrenchiemsee Island, although it was a bit rainy and gloomy. We may or may not visit it again.

I was trying to map your directions on Google to the Glossglockner. You stated: "Follow it through Saalfelden and Zell am See to Buchs." but when I plug in Buchs it comes up in Switzerland. I went back to the PDF map and it shows Bruck. Is Bruck what I should be looking for?

Husband and me both love mountainous/beautiful scenery as well as taking lifts up mountains, and you have helped us immensely.

Thanks again,
Lydia
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM

Yes, it'a Bruck. Sorry, my fault.
Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the great information!
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:33 AM

Hi there, we had a great trip a few years ago, here are my notes about the day we spent on the Grossglocknerstrasse:

The highlight of our trip was the day we drove the Grossglocknerstrasse. It took us all day, we started from Zell am See, drove towards Bruck and bought picnic lunch supplies at the Merkur supermarket, which had a good selection, then drove on to the toll booth. The hefty fee of 28 euro per car was worth it to us.

There were lots of (very fit) cyclists and loads of groups of motor cyclists too. All along the road are places to stop, cafes, toilets, picnic tables, viewing areas etc. The views of the mountains were really awesome. Drove along towards the glacier and wondered where to stop, when suddenly we found ourselves turning into a multi-storey carpark! Up and up and on the 4th level, parked on the top (for free) to take in the glorious glacier views. Two marmots playing in the sun attracted a huge crowd of onlookers. A really good, though tiring, day. Note that if you go back towards Zell am See on the other road, via Matrei, there is a tunnel with a toll of 10 euro but it seemed quicker to return that way.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-villages.cfm

Kay
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM

We started at Zell am See, stopped off at Heiligenblut because it was so beautiful... and I can't remember exactly where we exited. It may even have been Heiligenblut. We were driving straight through to the Dolomites that day.

I don't know when the passes close for the winter. September should be OK, not sure about October though.