Search

Globus Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globus Tours?

My grandparents and four other couples are planning a trip to Germany late next summer. They want to see the Oberammergau Passion Play and have looked at the Globus Tours. When my husband and I travel, we prefer to plan and do things on our own, but I don't think this is a good idea for my grandparents (and neither do they). They have looked into a 10 day tour with Globus that starts in Munich and ends in Frankfurt. Has anyone taken a Globus Tour? If so, were you pleased? What were the positives and negatives? Any advice you can offer? I want to help them out as much as possible so they have a good trip! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Globus is a mid-range, reliable tour company which will suit their needs. Have you looked into Insight tours? They are just a cut above, particularly in their choice of hotels. As with other tour companies, Globus offers many options for additional dinners and sightseeing. For example, that tour may include a side trip to Zugspitze, the highest mountain in the German Alps which is near Oberammergau. Your grandparents and their friends should be aware of these options before they go - most are worth taking since they may not be returing to the area again. Hope they enjoy their trip...
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM

I took a Globus tour to Egypt last year. Although not Germany, I am sure the level of customer service would most likely be the same. Pros - not having to worry about transportation, luggage handling, exhibit entrances (we went to the front of the line), good guides and drivers.

Cons - we had a firm time schedule, most meals taken at designated restaurants, not too much free time and the scheduled "factory shopping stops."I am usually an independent traveler, but this tour worked in Egypt.

Since there are 10 people going in your Grandparents goup, I think the tour would be the best choice. To do this independently, I can only imagine the discussions, "Where should we eat? What time should we depart? How long at this museum? On a tour, they would have a group leader who would take of any problems they might have.

Globus is a reputable company so I think it is a good choice.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Globus is fine. However they often place folks in hotels away from the town centers. And for a tour w/ them that includes a special event like the Passion Plays - it is very likely the hotels would be even more remote than usual.

If the budget allows, maybe look into some of the higher end/smaller group tour companies (Tauck, Elderhostel, etc.)
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I've taken one Globus tour and was not really thrilled with it. The hotels were outside of the towns. Unless you take a taxi in the evening you're stuck at a hotel with not much going on - no place to take a stroll in the evening. The food wasn't very good either and the tour guide was not very knowledgeable. I've taken tours with two other companies and was quite pleased with them. There were a lot of stops so lots of packing and unpacking and early starts.

I would look at other tour companies and compare.

Whenever you choose tours you need to be aware of hotel locations, how many included meals, how many nights in each town, what sights will you actually go into rather than just drive by.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM

You probably already know that Fodorites tend to be independent travelers. We like independent travel too but have traveled with Globus twice before and will again soon simply because (1) I did not want to be in charge of coordinating our little group of 8 while we travel.(2) I have became ill unexpectedly and was not sure how I would feel.
Luckily I am doing well now but nice to know I can hang back if I need to.

My past experience with Globus was good. Yes the hotels will be larger business type hotels. These will not be charming or quaint. But they are good quality places that are used to catering to tourists. I have spoken to many travelers who prefer Globus to Trafalgar & Insight. It is one of the better choices, unless you go to the very high end like Tauk, which is much more money. If you prepare, research and participate in your travel rather than just follow passively it will greatly enhance the experience as you already know.

Be aware that I prefer the "leisure" itineraries, because I do not like to be rushing from one place to another. For your purposes of the Oberammergau Passion Play I think this is a good choice and frankly easier since you have a group of 12.

By the way are you aware that if you have 8 or more people you can be considered a "group"? You can book yourselves directly with Globus in Colorado. If you do that they do offer compensation in the way of a discount on the land portion and a small commission (on airfare ) to the group leader. I am going to Spain in Oct with a group of 8. In my case I rebated all the commission & discounts evenly to my friends. We divided the savings up evenly between the 8 of us. We are a group of very close friends & everyone is happy.

The young lady I deal with is A'nedria Kaba
You might contact her to ask your questions. Very low key person, she is actually not a salesperson, rather a coordinator. She may also put you in touch with an area rep if you want that.
A'nedria Kaba at Globus
1-866-821-2752
her e mail is
[email protected]