Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Ambiance - Apt rental co. - Anyone know of this?

Sep 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello

Have come across this Paris apartment rental company through a search engine. It hasn't been mentioned on any of the Fodors threads which is unusual. Also I have picked one apartment for a short term let and in my dealings with the owner she has requested 50% payment on booking and full payment 1 month before arrival through Paypal, cheque or wire transfer.
Has anyone experience of this company and is this the usual schedule for payment.
I would appreciate any help you can give as I have never rented an apartment before!
Sep 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Never heard of it, but yes, those terms are very usual. If you look at any other apt websites for Paris, you can compare and see that. Also, if you read any threads on here, you would probably hear about terms like that.

I looked at their website, and I wasn't impressed myself. They are a couple of folks in Texas trying to make money by listing owners' apartments and they don't have that many. They don't appear to really be in this business professionally, and I'd be concerned about that. As well as who would be responsible for problems. Their website doesn't show any rental terms, either (such as deposit, and the terms you cited above) -- at least, I couldn't find them. I don't think this is very professional, myself, and wouldn't rent from an organization who is so secretive or unprofessional about contracts, rental terms, etc., or just how to run a business. They advertise on their website that owners can just contact them to have their place listed, they seem to just be an advertiser. Their photos are really bad, also, and they don't have a very broad selection of apts, which isn't surprising, but I only saw expensive ones in places like the 7th or 4th arr.

Out of all the places you could find to rent apts in Paris, why go with some folks you've never heard of who aren't even a rental agency and no one else has ever mentioned, either. Okay, maybe I'm out of it and others know of them and you can read about them elsewhere, I've just never heard of them.
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I haven't run across those listings before. It appears to be like VRBO and several others that connect you to individual owners.

As for your other question, yes, 50% on booking and the balance several weeks before arrival is quite common. We've rented something like 20 houses and apartments in France over the last decade and that has been the arrangement with almost every one of them.

This is what you should typically expect when renting:

- the owner will send you a rental agreement which you will sign and return to them. They will sign it and send you back a copy.

- you will likely pay 50% of the rental on booking and the balance before arrival.

- your rental agreement will spell out exactly what is included, such as local phone calls, TV, internet, and post-rental cleaning. (Some owners add on a separate cleaning fee.)

- some owners (I would say most, now) ask for a refundable security deposit of several hundred dollars or euros. I have always been successful in either offering cash on arrival, which they return when I leave, or a personal cheque in my currency, which they hold uncashed until I leave.

- be sure to look for the features you think you will need before committing, such as clothes washer and dryer.

- be sure to ask what kind of local support they offer: will someone meet you at the apartment to hand you over the keys and to show you how to work the appliances? Will someone be available if you wake up to discover there is no hot water?

- it is a good idea to research the owners and the location before committing. Your question here is a great start. Look, too, on slowtrav and try googling a phrase like "rental apartment rue XXX Paris" to see if you can find any related postings anywhere.

- do not hesitate to ask the owner for references. I have three times been contacted to ask if I would provide a reference to a prospective tenant.

Good luck.

Anselm
Sep 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Meant to add: have you looked through this thread for other ideas, agencies, and booking sites?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

AA
Sep 21st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina and AnselmAdorne for the advice and pointers and just taking the time to reply! I have been onto that fodors thread already - my big problem is there are 7 of us and it is quite difficult to find apartments for that number in a good central district at a reasonable price. I have now had correspondence from the owner direct and received a rental agreement to fill out and return. It looks in order but I will do a further Google to say if anything turns up.