Globus or Trafalgar Tours

Jan 17th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Joe

Globus or Trafalgar Tours

If you have travelled to Spain, Portugal or Turkey with either Globus or Trafalgar Tours during the past year, what was the experience like and would you recommend these companies. My wife and I are planning a May vacation.

Jan 17th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Al

In 1996, my wife and I traveled all around western Turkey with Globus. We have the highest praise for their guide, drivers, bus, hotels, meals, itinerary, etc. They kept every promise...plus. It was not our first trip with Globus, having gone with them to eastern Europe the year before.

Jan 28th, 1999, 06:50 PM
BEATRICE METZELAAR

TRAFALGAR TOURS MISREPRESENTS THEIR TOURS IN PUBLISHED LITERATURE: HOTELS ARE SECOND RATE AND IN REMOTE LOCATIONS, NO COFFEE AND THE FOOD INFERIOR, BUS SEATS PROHIBITED FROM RECLINING, TOURS INCLUDE NOTHING BESIDES TRANSPORTATION AND LODGING, STATED CITY TOURS IN EIROPES' MAJOR CITIES DO NOT EXIST. ASTA, USTOA, BBB, N.Y. GOVT., ETC. DO NOT ENFORCE TRAVEL MISREPRESENTATIONS LAWS. CAVEAT EMPTOR! YOU'RE TRAVELING ON YOUR OWN!

Jan 28th, 1999, 08:36 PM
Erni Hirsch

We have reservations for the Cosmo's Spain & Portugal in March. Since we plan to spend a few days in Madrid on our own and follow the tour with a week on the Costa Del Sol, we found that ittinerary covered areas that we could not see on day trips from Madrid or Marbella. Also the price was unbelievably reasonable. It was important to us that we spend 2 nights in most places so that we actually had time to enjoy the destination rather than the bus.

Jan 28th, 1999, 10:23 PM
Gerald Kallan

Has anyone had any recent experience with Trafalgar's hotels on an European tour? We've been considering a major 10-country trip and none of the hotels are listed in Fodor's but Trafalgar lists them as "First-Class" or "Superior First-Class."
In London, it's the Grosvenor Thistle (what or where is it, and what amenities are there?), the Novotel in Amsterdam, the Mercure Koblentz, the Post Hotel Weggis at Lake Lucerne, the Grauer Bar in Innsbruck, the Radisson SAS in Salzburg, the Golf Residence in Venice, the Grand in Assissi, the Holiday Inn in Naples, the Cicerone in Rome, the Grand Meditteranneo in Florence, the Aston Golden Tulip in Nice, the Metropole in Lyon, and the Sofitel Porte de Seres in Paris.
If anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with any of these hotels or with Trafalgar's tours, please post a message. Any information would be appreciated. This is a first-time major trip for us and a very anxious message posted on the forum concerning Trafalgar has frightened us somewhat.

Jan 29th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Marion

Took the Globus Italy tour in late Sept. (Rome, Florence, Venice). What you need to be aware of is that these tours use large coach buses -- which can not go to the central portion of most older European cities. Therefore, hotels are NOT CENTRALLY located. Having been to Amsterdam on our own, we would very much want a hotel in the city, for evening strolling along the canals & stopping for coffee at one of the sidewalk/canalside cafes (weather permitting)

Also, for Globus 99% of the included meals are at the hotel (no menu choices) -- and our local Friendly's serves a better meal than the Sheridan's in Italy did. By the way, the tour opertor doesn't eat with you or eat what you are served!!

The tour operators want you to take the "optionals" -- ours especially seemed to feel that no one was competent to go on their own or should be permitted to. Morning tours often started late or dragged on and on and on to include shopping stops... The afternoon "free" time was in reality only an hour or so --think high school field trip of the mid-50's and you have the ambience. Personally, I could cope with poor/bad food but the lack of quiet, do-our-own-thing time was very very distressing, especially since we had selected Globus for their brochure's statement of almost every afternoon free.

However,our driver was great and it did provide wonderful transportation from one city to another without having to rely on public trains or buses.

Wish these land tour operators would take a lesson from the way Cruise ships handle their customers -- much more adult attitude.

Jan 29th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Amy Wetherbee

I went on a couple of tours with Globus a few year ago. It is a good tour in that it takes you to alot of places, but the bad thing is that the hotels are out of the way and not always of the best quality.

The tour guides sell "extras" to get you into town, and then it for shopping or to have an hour of time to visit.

Also the guides are never around to assist you if you have a problem. They disappear as soon as the bus parks at the door of the hotel.

The tour may sound cheap, but in the end you actualy pay more for what you actually get.

I would recommend a tour that includes most things. The tour I went on last year was with Tauck. They look expensive, but everything is included in the price(except airfare of course).

They may look more expensive, but with Globus you may end up paying more anyway because of all the "extras". The hotels are centraly located and the meals are good. The tour guides are excellent, and the bus drivers are among the best.

I have'nt been to Spain, Portugal, or Turkey, although I am hoping to travel there soon. So I can't tel you about that. Good luck on your travel plans. ..............

Feb 1st, 1999, 11:29 AM
Beth

We had the same experience on Globus as Marion. The hotels are all out of the way, and mostly second class. The Novotel in Amsterdam is way out of town, and inferior, in my opinion. We had a terrible hotel in Oberammergau, Germany and were up all night with a German wedding. Our tour guide said that the hotels there have a greater responsibility to the community than to the guests (who are paying the bill), and that it is more important for them to please locals than the tourists. Guess they figure we won't be back soon! Our guide was very arrogant and quite the salesman when it came to the extras. We were discouraged from going on our own to do anything, and were not given any suggestions for dinners, etc. other than the ones with the group. The meals were as stated, in the hotel with no choices. We felt like cattle being herded!! The night out at the lido show in Paris was the biggest rip-off!! It was about $130 per person and we could hardly even see the stage. The food was terrible. We all laughed in our group about how bad it was!!!! We did get to see a lot of things, and our driver was excellent. It was nice not to have to mess with luggage!!!! Hope you enjoy your trip. I don't mean to be so negative, just truthful.

Feb 2nd, 1999, 04:56 AM
judy

We enjoyed our tour with Trafalgar very much. We decided on the more expensive tour because of the hotels, but realized that we probably got the better tour guide, driver, bus and service. It is well worth the extra money. We won't go for all of the extras next time, though.

Mar 17th, 1999, 12:59 PM
Joe

Joe: Why dont try Petrabax Tours from
Madrid. E-Mail address is www.petrabax.
com and the phone 1-800-634-1188
another address is [email protected]
Try. Victor