Reload this Page >

Romantic Paris Hotels around FRF 800

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 05:51 PM
David Pay

We're looking for a "romantic" hotel in Paris with rates around FRF 800. <BR> <BR>From guide books and web sites (including http://www.paris.com/HOTELSINPARIS), I'm down to five choices: <BR> <BR>Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (in the 4th) <BR>Hotel de la Bretonnerie (in the 4th) <BR>Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg (in the 5th) <BR>Hotel Grandes Ecoles (in the 5th) <BR>Hotel de l'Abbaye (in the 6th) <BR> <BR>We're first time visitors to Paris, and we'll spend 5 nights there. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have anything to say about these hotels? Any other suggestions in the price range? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Dave <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 08:54 PM
Donna

All of those places are perfectly fine. Recommend you go with whichever one is closest to the nearest metro stop. After being out and about all day, an extra block or two to your hotel is a long, long walk.

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 07:59 PM
David Pay

<BR>Thanks, Donna. <BR> <BR>I'm hoping that one or two of them might exceed perfectly fine and be an anglo's dream of his first visit to Paris. But being near the metro (and therefore being less cranky at the end of a long day) definitely adds to the romance! <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 01:04 AM
sue

Caron de Beaumarchais is supposed to be divine. We've tried to stay there, but haven't been able to secure reservations. Donna's right. Stay central and near a metro.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 07:47 AM
Dave

<BR>I tried to reserve at all five places, but could only find room at Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg. My fingers are crossed that it's a good place. <BR> <BR>It's close to the metro, too. <BR> <BR>Sue, did you stay anywhere that fits the bill? <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 08:40 AM
John

Dave, I found the following review for your hotel. Rates were quoted as $140 for a standard double and $175 for a superior double. Appears to be ok. <BR> <BR>"Situated in a very quiet street near the gardens of the Luxembourg,this hotel, opened in 1995 is a real success! Rooms are on the small side but elegantly decorated. The locations makes this a <BR>great place to stay in the Latin quarter, (it was in that building that <BR>Sigmund Freud stayed during one of his lenghtier stays in Paris). <BR> <BR>Located right right across from the garden of the same name, it also has a sauna for guests and two interesting larger rooms opening on the street. The staff is always very helpful." <BR> <BR>Here are a couple locations on the net you may want to browse for hotels. Plenty of pictures and many very nice hotels, some cheaper than the one you selected.(just copy and paste the addresses into your browser's address location box and press enter). <BR> <BR>http://www.france.com/travel/hotels/PHG.html <BR> <BR>http://www.lycos.com/wguide/tools/pg...75&wwdoctype=2 <BR> <BR>Here are just a few examples of what is available in Paris at some really outstanding prices and there are many others. <BR> <BR>Saint Dominique Hotel .... double $90 with bathroom or $98 with shower <BR> 62 Rue Saint Dominique <BR> Paris 75007 <BR> Phone: 01-47 05 51 44 <BR> Fax: 01-47 05 81 28 <BR>http://www.lycos.com/wguide/tools/pg...75&wwdoctype=2 <BR> <BR>The Hotel Saint Dominique is centrally located in a quiet area, with many <BR>shops, bistros, cafes and restaurants in the vicinity. Situated on Rue Saint <BR>Dominique, between the Eiffel Tower and Les Invalides, a few steps away from the Siene, tourist spots and business districts, the Saint Dominique Hotel is set in a converted convent with a flower filled yard. Offering 34 charming rooms, all furnished with TV, mini-bar and telephone with direct outside line, it is sure to make your stay a pleasant one. <BR> <BR> <BR>Timhotel Invalides .... double is $133 <BR> <BR>35 Boulevard De La Tour <BR> Maubourg Paris 75017 <BR> <BR> Phone 01-45 56 10 78 <BR> Fax: 01-47 05 65 08 <BR>http://www.lycos.com/wguide/tools/pg...75&wwdoctype=2 <BR> <BR> <BR>Timhotel Invalides is a limited service, first-class hotel. All rooms are well <BR>equipped with colour television, direct-dial phone, radio and hairdryer. The hotel offers laundry service and room service with limited hours only. Safe deposit boxes are available. <BR> <BR> <BR>Tulip Inn Elysees Foch .... double is $100 <BR>51 Rue Lauriston .... close to the Arch de Triomphe <BR> Paris 75116 <BR> Phone:01-45 53 04 70 <BR> Fax: 01-47 55 81 69 <BR>http://www.lycos.com/wguide/tools/pg...75&wwdoctype=2 <BR> <BR>The Tulip Inn Elysees Foch is a first-class hotel in a quiet location. The hotel has a garden in the harth of the hotel. The Tulip Inn Elysees Foch <BR>offers express checkout, 24-hour staffed front desk and travel services. Fax <BR>and photocopying services are available as well. Other amenities include a <BR>bar, cable TV, concierge, direct-dial telephone, iron and safe.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Bill Higley

Dave, for a better rate, you may wish to contact the Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg directly. I have a confirmed reservation for a "deluxe double" at 840FF/night. I think that's a little lower than the rates I've seen posted on the various websites. I haven't stayed there before but Sandra Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" gives it a good write-up. The only negative I've found on this hotel was doing a search on this forum. There was a message from someone back on 11/98 who was not happy with the J du L and was complaining about the Fodor's recommendation. I'm not sure why, but I'm tossing that one in the sour grapes pile. The author sounded as if she was expecting the Ritz. I think I'll see for myself because the location seems to be great. Oh BTW, the phone for the hotel is 331-40-46-08-88 and fax is 331-40-46-02-28. Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>-bmh

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 03:36 PM
Dave

<BR>Thanks Bill. <BR> <BR>I have a "Double Room with Bathroom" reserved that I booked by fax. I might see if they have a "deluxe room" available at the end of May. <BR> <BR>Dave <BR> <BR>