Globe Theatre seating

Apr 27th, 2001, 11:26 AM
cordelia

Globe Theatre seating

Can anyone tell me the best seating location at the Globe Theatre? I will be with my elderly parents, they're not interested in being groundlings. Would you suggest center or left/right of center? Lower gallery? Middle gallery? Why?

Thanks!

Apr 27th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Shakespeare

The Globe theatre is an accurate reproduction of the original. Thus, by modern standards, it is very uncomfortable, particularly for the elderly. Whether standing as a groundling or sitting on one of the hard benches (rental pads available for extra $$), for a couple of hours, is not enjoyable IMHO. The novelty wears off pretty quickly. If really you want to see one of Shakespeare's play, go to Stratford.

Apr 27th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Amy

The Regent's Park outdoor theater is a lovely place for Shakespeare. (I hope they still have this!) The seating is not luxe, but not bad, either.

Apr 27th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Olga

I know you are not even considering the option of being a groundling, but for everyone else here: do not do it!!! Seats are not much more expensive, and after a full day's walking, it is horble to stand on your feet for FOUR hours (the productions are not abridged)! But it's definitely worth going (if you sit down) - we saw Winter's Tale and it was wonderful.

Apr 27th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Kathy

Unluckily, we were unable to get tickets for the Globe when we went to London last summer, but during my research this was the advice I found.
First, the accoustics are better on the lower center or upper gallery. Second, rent a cushion - the seats are hard and wooden. Third - there are no backs to the seats so if you need support for your back, get seats on the back row of whatever gallery you are in so you can rest your back against the wall. I am sorry I don't have the website for the Globe at hand, but they have a diagram of the seating that you can click on and see what the view of the stage is from that area. Perhaps you can search for the sight, or someone else may be able to post it.

Apr 27th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Kathy

I wanted to add something to my last post. I agree with SHAKESPEARE. If you want to see really good Shakespeare see the Royal Shakespear Company in Stratford. They used to do winter performances in London, but I think I read where they are going to be based in Stratford year-round now. The experience of seeing Shakespeare in an authentic setting is great, but I think it may be pretty uncomfortable for an elderly person.

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Deb

Cordelia,

You might want to check out the Globe's website. It includes seating maps and locations. I found it quite informative. It is at
http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

Apr 27th, 2001, 04:26 PM
li

We went to two performances when the Globe first opened in 1997. The first night we satin really uncomfortable seats and the second night we stood. When I ordered the tickets in the US from Ticketmaster (or was it the other 1-800 ticket co), I was not warned about the seats. I wish I could help you,Cordelia. My only advice is to make sure you know what you are getting and get it in writing if possible. The groundlings can get quite rowdy.
The best Shakespeare,however, is RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon. The theaters are pleasant and the acting can't be beat. We plan to go back to Stratford to see RSC, but will not go back to the Globe.

Apr 27th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Martha

Cordelia -

I loved seeing a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre - a replica of what the theatre would have been like in Shakespeare's day. True - it is a little rough, open to the weather, hard wood benches with no back. I think it was well worth it - the performance of Julius Caesar I saw was very entertaining. Any seat in the center sections would be great - I was in the first row to one side and was 15 feet from the stage. It's a small, intimate theater - so there's really no bad seat. Take cushions with you, or rent them there.

Martha

Apr 28th, 2001, 03:02 AM
cordelia

Thank you all very much

Apr 28th, 2001, 04:49 AM
nospam

When does the season run at the globe?