Glencoe area B&B

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glencoe area B&B

My wife, teenage son and I are planning our trip to Scotland in late May and June. We have had trouble finding a B&B for the Glencoe area for one night, Wed., 5/30/07. We will be leaving the Stirling area the day before and will be headed to Skye the next day. Do you have any suggestions for the three of us for one night? We like family rooms or two rooms if need be. Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Where have you looked? Have you been in touch with the Highlands and Island tourist board? This is probably part of the May Bank Holiday-school vacation period that creates problems, but there are tons of places in the area. You could go on to Ft William (not far).
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

I have contacted six or seven discussed here and other websites and all were full or had no response to emails. We may just go and find something after we arrive. I was just a little worried about three of us for just one night. Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are leavig Stirling/Callander in the a.m. - you really don't need to stop over before you get to Skye.

Callander to Glencoe visitors Center is about 50 miles of good open road. Then from Glencoe to Mallaig is another 60 miles w/ only a small section of slow going. So you would have plenty of time to see the Falls of Dochart, Glencoe (have lunch at the Clachaig Inn) , Glenfinnan and get to Mallaig by late afternoon/early evening. And it will be daylight until nearly 10 p.m. so you be on Skye long before dark

I'd add that extra night either to the Stirling are or to Skye.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM

I have a friend who lives in Glencoe village and has a holiday cottage, I am not sure whether they do long lets or b & b. I will email her and get some details for you. Schnauzer
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM

I'd be a bit careful if you're planning to drive through to Skye in one day as suggested. The road is not great Stirling - Fort William should take you about 3.5 hours but you need to add on for all the traffic at that time of year ( which is the best to see Scotland). The road is very slow due to the caravans and there is road works in Glen Coe where they're replacing a bridge at the moment.
Try B&B's in Ballachuish. It's just down from Glen Coe and on the sea.
Make sure you book - it's the year of the Highlands and everywhere is going to be packed!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:12 AM

d1carter, if you are still interested in Glencoe accommodation here is my friends website. Or at least you can access their cottage from there. www.countryholidays2007.co.uk and it comes under Lochaber,Loch Ness, The Great Glen & Wester Ross. They have a Gold Award so it can be found in that section as well. It is called Fir Cottage. I think it may be two nights minimum. The view of the loch is as beautiful as it looks, I have been there - magic. Hope this helps. Schnauzer

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Janis gives you good advice about not actually needing to stop. But if you still want to stay in Glencoe, I was going to suggest staying at the Clachaig Inn where Janis recommends you have lunch.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:04 AM
Pausanias

We stayed in a triple at the Clachaig Inn two or three years ago. The food is pretty good, the ales are excellent, and they sometimes have good music in the pub. If your son is under 18 you can hear it from the restaurant/lounge.

There is a short walk from the inn to scene of the infamous massacre. If you have more time the visitor center outlines all the major routes. Even if you are not dedicated hikers try to get in a bit of hill walking in the highlands and on Skye. It's really a high point -- maybe even the point -- of a trip to the region. If you can't, don't worry, it still looks beautiful from the road.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. We will keep trying to find something in the Glencoe area. We still have some time. Thanks Schnauzer for your help. I looked at the site and it looked great, and if we had more time we would give a try. We are really passing through Glencoe area and we just want to break up the drive. If all else fails we will drive on to Skye. Thanks again. We may have more questions as we get closer to our trip.