Glasgow restaurants?

Nov 9th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Ray

Glasgow restaurants?

I'll be in Glasgow soon for a Celtic match, and was looking for restaurants suggestions. Must be casual, as we'll be in jeans having come directly from the match, but we still want good food. Price isn't a concern.

Nov 9th, 2001, 01:09 PM
xxx

For quality Glasgow?s probably better than Edinburgh. Nairn?s "TV chef quality, Scottish produce simply cooked"
One Devonshire Gardens- ?contemporary, vogueish and stylish?
The Ubiquitous Chip- in Glasgow society for serious people watching
Rogano- THE Glasgow restaurant

There are lots of others but I have restricted myself to the ones I know about. There are in addition some great Indian restaurants- the Ashoka West End (watch out there are others with similar names) and the Shish Mahal are but 2.
There are some great Chinese too. My favourite is the Loon Fung in Sauchiehall Street.

Nov 9th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Michelle

If you like fish, there's an excellent (and popular) fish restaurant in the basement of the Art House hotel.

Nov 12th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Ray

xxx--will I be out of place in jeans in any of those places?

Liam-thanks for nothing. You must be a Rangers supporter.

Michelle-thanks.

Nov 12th, 2001, 01:16 PM
xxx

Probably in Devonshire Gardens- the restaurant is called the Amaryllis- and Nairn's. the others take smart casula, but if you're going to Rogano or the Chip, you should book and check at the time. Enjoy!

Nov 12th, 2001, 05:41 PM
frank

If the game is at Parkhead, note that Amaryllis is is way out in the back of the west end, you could starve by the time you get there.
Try Gamba in the city centre if you like seafood.
The Rogano is also in the city centre, but has been going downhill for years IMO - the manager left recently.Best thing about it is the art deco bar.
Michelle's choice (Art House Hotel basement, city centre-there is also a sushi bar there), is good, great food & service, wide menu though mainly seafood & cheaper than Gamba but not as good.
You would be out of place in Gamba & Amaryllis in jeans, but OK in the Art House - the clientele is younger & more informal.Its also an excellent hotel.

Nov 12th, 2001, 06:38 PM
John

Can any Glesga locals report on the status of the Shish Mahal? I'm one of the thousands of people who were introduced by the Shish to a level of Indian cooking that I didn't know existed. Lordy, what a great place. Tell me it's still going strong and still a great place?!

Nov 13th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Hugh Killin

Hi John

The Shish Mahal in Park Road is indeed still going strong although these days it has much competition. Glasgow now has many excellent Indian restaurants.

The Shish closed down a couple of years ago for a refurbishment that seemed to take forever and its regular customers, myself included, were seriously worried that it had closed down for good. We were all mistaken. It came back better than ever and remains one of the best tandoori houses in Glasgow.

I'm now showing my age when I say that I remember the restaurant when it was known as the Taj Mahal!

Nov 14th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Ray

I think Shish Mahal wins, assuming I can wear jeans there. Unless the person who's getting me the Celtic tickets has other ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated.