Glasgow places to eat

Search

Glasgow places to eat

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glasgow places to eat

I am taking my husband to Glasgow for his birthday early in March, does anyone have any recommendations on places to eat? We're pretty flexible, but we do like good food
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Rogano or the Ubiquitous Chip
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:03 AM

We had an excellent dinner at the Millenium Hotel on George Square in March 2003. The glass-fronted dining room is right on the square.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM

Hi Pamstravels,

Try this link for details of Glasgow restaurants;
http://www.travelscotland.co.uk/guid...ow/glas_20.htm

I would think that most people would go with Sheila's two recommendations and maybe also The Buttery. Both the 'Chip & the Buttery are a little bit out of the way, however, so if you're confining your trip to the City Centre then my vote would go the Rogano.

Jim
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM

We've stayed at the Millenium Hotel and used the train station almost next door (if my memory serves me correctly) to get to the West End.
From there it was a very short walk to the Chip, and also a great Indian restaurant on the same side of the alleyway. Can't remember the name as it was a few years ago, but at that time it was the best Indian meal we've had.
It was quite hard to get in without a booking but we managed in the end. Hope someone can come up with the name
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 01:27 AM

I'm unclear about the location, but probably the Ashoka?
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Yes Sheila, I think this must be the Ashoka Ashton Lane (one of a number of Ashokas in & around the city). One thing Glasgow isn't short of is good Indian retaurants.

angel_UK, you're also quite right - you can take the Underground from Buchanan St. (right next to Queen St. Railway Station, which in turn is next to the Millenium Hotel), travel a few stops to Hillhead and then a couple of minutes walk to the Chip. If Pamstravels doesn't mind venturing out of the City Centre then the Chip is an excellent choice.

Jim (p.s. Sheila - not at Parkhead today as babysitting :-< )
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay so I'm a Shish Snob going way back. (Shish Mahal, Park Rd. near the Uni.) But not alone; see http://www.hindustantimes.com/2003/J...6,00430005.htm
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:08 PM

If we're doing one-upmanship in Glasgow Indians, the one I used to like was the one just south of the Mitchell Library that you can see from the motorway. Can't remember the name. just up from the Bon Accord

And there's a terrific Chinese at the west end of Sauchiehll Street which is worth a return visit.

Jim, I have a staff member who has a season ticket at celtic park who was trying to convince me that Lent starts next Thursday. Apparently, there's a home match on Wednesday night, so it doesn't count

And written thanks for my adopted home team's robbing of points off the opposition this afternoon, will not be necessary
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM

I think that would be the Koh-I-Noor, Sheila. It's actually still trading under that name, but from what I gather it's a pale imitation of its former self.

The Shish (I think, actually in Gibson St.) seems to be generally reputed as Glasgow's first Indian restaurant, although I don't know for a fact if that's the case.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM

Still can't remember the restaurant name, and the name Sheila gives doesn't ring a bell - maybe they've changed hands.
All I remember is left from the station,left into the lane leading on to that strip of restaurants and bars.
It was the end restaurant on the lefthand corner before you join that row if that makes sense?

Anyway JJBhoy, you wouldn't have liked it - the staff were all Rangers supporters
My husbands cousin plays for Hibs btw, sorry!

My team have just beaten Swansea today in the F.A. Cup and are through to the 1/4 finals!! Yipee! What a fantastic day we've had
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:09 PM

angel,

On the contrary - the way things are going this season there's nothing I like better than meeting up with Rangers fans! I have many Rangers supporting friends & they all tell me that they've haven't seen so much of me in years.

I also have a soft spot for Tranmere, as my best mate's cousin (Stephen Frail) used to play for them.

All the best,

Jim
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Smith's, in Candleriggs. (citycentre/merchant city)
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Hi Jim

I remember Stephen Frail well, what's he up to these days?

My husband's cousin is Steven Glass from Hibs (formerly Watford,Newcastle and Aberdeen of course).

Nice to hear you have a soft spot for my club! My daughter went out with the lad who won the Cup game for us yesterday, for over a year.Sure Stephen Frail will remember him. What a small world

P.S. sorry to everyone else for hijacking this thread and turning it into a football post!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:11 PM

angel,

Stephen Frail got his coach's licence last year & is now head youth coach at Greenock Morton. It's a few months now since I spoke to him, but I bumped in to his Dad the other week & apparently he's doing well. I'm very well aware of Steven Glass - an excellent player who has had terrible luck with injuries. Hopefully he can get back on track at Hibs.

Better go now before we are accused of conducting personal correspondence on these boards - as if we would!

All the best & good luck against Millwall in the next round.

Jim
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Jim

Thanks a lot for the info and the good wishes!

Sorry again for the football mentions, but we did manage to squeeze England, Scotland and Wales into the conversation so it was travel related

Any further football related comments can be sent to: angel(name of my ground)at aol dot com.

Best wishes

angel
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM

Amen on Ashoka. We ate at the west end location just a few days ago (we were visiting from Michigan). The food was absolutely unbelievable. I'd return immediately should we be fortunate enough to have another visit to Scotland!