Glasgow - cheap sleep?

Search

Glasgow - cheap sleep?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glasgow - cheap sleep?

Hello all you lovely Glaswegians. Londoner wanting to stay two nights, 7 &amp; 8 March, with cheap boyfriend. Do you know of any small hotels or B&amp;Bs that aren't too horrible but are very inexpensive? Central, please. Many thanks for any help<BR><BR>Kate
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:45 AM

I'm not a Glaswegian, but I can recommend the Sandyford Hotel, on Sauchiehall Street in the West End. http://www.sandyfordhotelglasgow.com/<BR><BR>No elevator to my room on the top floor, but rooms were tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean, breakfast (included in the rate) was good and cooked to order, and staff were very friendly and helpful. Good pubs and restaurants just down the street, a few blocks from Kelvingrove Park and Gallery, and about a 20 minute walk from city center.<BR><BR>Good feedback from others on Rants &amp; Raves here.<BR><BR>If you want to be downtown, there are several other hotels under the same ownership/management - you could inquire about them via e-mail.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:17 PM

I took a look at my favorites, and believe that the Townhouse Hotel (West End, just around the corner from the Sandyford - 21 Royal Crescent, Glasgow, G3 7SL, Telephone: 0141 332 9009) is part of the McMillan group, as is the more central Merchant Lodge (http://www.the-merchant-lodge.sagenet.co.uk/)
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi Lesli<BR><BR>I'm so sorry I didn't reply to thank you early. The cheap boyfriend booked somewhere *okay*, but I've made a note of your posts and will be looking them up next time - and there will be a next time. So thank you so much for your answers which were really very helpful. many thanks.<BR><BR>Kate
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:00 AM

You're very welcome. Hope you and your boyfriend have a great time. I loved Glasgow and am hoping there will be a &quot;next time&quot; for me as well (though I have much further to travel than you London folk.)
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Hello Kate,<BR>I would recommend the Heritage House Hotel in Glasgow. It's only a few minutes from the Hillhead Underground. It's been recently redone, and I was surprised by the size of the rooms. The staff is very pleasant, and they are excellent about replying to e-mails. <BR><BR>Here's a link to the hotel:<BR><BR>http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/a05834.html<BR><BR>They are showing a rate of &pound;52 for a double en-suite, but if you mention you saw their site on Smoothound, they'll knock 10% off.<BR><BR>Hope that helps...
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

BritishMusicFan - but that's exactly where we stayed! Thanks for the recommendation, I exactly agreed with you. Really large room. And I really loved Glasgow.