Edinburgh, Scotland. Hotels <= £100 GBP

Mar 18th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Edinburgh, Scotland. Hotels <= £100 GBP

I will be searching through the forum archives too but in the meantime does anyone have any recommendations for favourite hotels in Edinburgh?

Up to £100 per night per room (including breakfast if possible). The more central the better, if not central then please give advantages/ disadvantages of location.

Many thanks indeed!
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM

When?
Mar 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Does it have to be a hotel??? I stayed in a lovely B&B and it was as nice as a hotel and a good location I felt. We went during the Festival last summer.
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:00 AM

The hotel Ibis in Hunter Square is about as central as you can get starting at £50 per night (twin/double ensuite), a little more in the high season. Breakfast is extra. It's a basic but clean & adequate chain hotel and the location right on the Royal Mile can't be beat.

I've also stayed at the Rosebery Guest House in Rosebery Crescent near Haymarket Station, not quite as central but still easy to access all the main attractions in town, at the time it was £25 per person per night, but as we were there 10 years ago it may be a bit more now. It's a lovely converted townhouse and full breakfast was included.
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo: Not sure when - this query is on behalf of friends who would like to plan a weekend away but are flexible on dates. If you have any recommendations which fall within the budget in low season but not in high, would still be interested.

Siobhan: B&B recommendations also very welcome, thanks.

Daisy: Many thanks.

Thanks all!
Mar 19th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Kavey, the Apex in the Grassmarket is where to go. You CAN get deals on better places, but for central, and value, you can't beat it.
Mar 19th, 2005, 04:17 AM

The Castle View guest house (B&B) can be had for £100 or less, I think. We stayed there for £100 for three last summer.

Pros: very central location just a block off Princes St. in New Town, and a great breakfast. Nicely decorated rooms, if a bit small. Our room was very quiet, but it faced away from the street.

Cons: four or five flights up the stairs; it's on the upper floors of a Georgian building. They require you to pay in cash.

It's my favorite of the various places I've stayed in Edinburgh and I'd certainly go back.
Mar 19th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, passing it all on.
Mar 19th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I wanted to book the Apex for a couple of nights next month but the price was well in excess of £100 per night (at least for our nights), so have booked the Ibis instead, for around £70. We've stayed at Ibises (Ibii? Ibot?) before and have been more than satisfied. The "when" obviously reflects Edin. hotel prices' volatility depending on proximity to certain events in late summer and late December.
Mar 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo!
Yes they'll need to make sure they are aware of the dates of Edinburgh's big events...
Mar 19th, 2005, 09:23 PM

Hi all

I'm the friend on whose behalf Kavey posted the initial request. I want to thank all who have made suggestions so far, and add a few more details to answer some of the questions that have arisen.

I'm planning a trip for my husband and myself. He has never been to Scotland, and I've only been briefly on business. I've settled on Edinburgh as it has a castle (I enjoy castles) and the Whiskey Heritage Centre (he's a whiskey drinker). The trip will be a long weekend, probably Friday to Monday, and I'm thinking probably June or July time (I'd like reasonable weather but I don't want to get caught up in the festival).

We'd like to find somewhere to stay (B&B/Guest House/Hotel) with its own parking, but close enough to the town centre/castle to enable walking to those places. My budget is up to £100 per night for the two of us, but I'll happily not spend that much if there are good lower cost options!

It's a celebratory trip - I did very well at work last year, so I'd like it to be a bit of a treat for us both

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll "Google" the recommended places so far and check them out If the addition of my details prompts any more suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Hugs,
Artoo
Mar 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM

Hi, Artoo. Email me for some documents on things to do in the city.

I'd suggest June for your dates. Watch your spelling of "Whisky" if you're googling.

Have a look at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society web site. http://www.smws.com/

They do public events and, frankly, the experiences is far better and less touristy than the Heritage Centre thing.

I still think you're talking the Apex if you can get a rate. I have recently so it IS doable.
Mar 20th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Ha ha I like the nick name. Is that from Artoo-Detoo?
Mar 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Sheila, I've sent you an email for those Edinburgh documents which you kindly offered I've had a quick look at the SMWS site and that looks interesting too.

Apex have some good rates on short breaks up to the end of May (typical!), I'm wondering whether to hold off and see if they announce short break rates for June, or whether I should call and see what they would offer at this point.

Kavey - the nickname is derived from Ruth2, R2, Artoo - comes from marrying a man whose sisted has the same name as me, making life very confusing with my In-Laws!

Hugs,
Artoo.
Mar 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Artoo, of COURSE! Duh! Forgot about that. Floyd reminded me...

Look fwd to your report on Edinburgh and the Apex. My family visit to Edinburgh when I was a kid ended only an hour after arriving when it was discovered that our petrol tank was leaking and we were towed all the way home to Luton. Sigh.
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:16 PM

Kavey, we stayed at the Old Waverley on Princes Street across from the Gardens last May for under 100 GBP including tax and breakfast. I had booked it online. A couple of weeks before our trip, I saw the room for less on lastminute.com and contacted the hotel. They gladly adjusted the room rate for us.

Our room had a view of the castle (I had requested this when booking) but was a little loud at night (we always take ear plugs) with the windows open. It was sunny and in the 70's the day we arrived and everybody was laying out in the park with their shirts off. The next day, it was windy and in the 50's.

Staff at the hotel was friendly and we would definitely stay again if the price was right.
Mar 24th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Betty!
Mar 24th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Ruth, surely it's easier now that R1 has married... did she take his surname?
Mar 24th, 2005, 04:03 AM

Kavey,

We stayed in the high season for about £100 for B&B in this place http://www.cluaran-house-edinburgh.co.uk/find.html. I was surprised as we booked last minute but the place was a fab lovely old house and the owners are really nice. There is a lot of calligraphy about the house as the husband has a business in this as well. Only advice is ask for a room upstairs as we had a beautiful room but it was beside the breakfast room and we had a few lates nights during the festival. May not be a problem for you but just be aware. Its walkable to the grass market/castle and nice by the meadows to wander the small shops.

I have found deals on the Apex City in the Grassmarket a while back through www.laterooms.com but lately its gone higher.

Also I have stayed at the Castle Guest house on Castle Street but NOT the Castle View which after dealing with them 2 years ago I will never book them even if its the last place in Edinburgh. I booked Castle View on Laterooms.com well in advance...I ended up finding a room at the apex for a tiny bit more so I went to cancel...the woman basically said I could not cancel or they would charge me 1 night...this was not stated by late rooms or their website and it was 2 weeks in advance. I called late rooms.com and the customer service person was Scottish and told me she could not do that and that I should call and ask again to cancel and mention some consumer act or group that states she cannot do this in Scotland...(sorry so vague but it was 2 years ago) Maybe Sheila will know about this group/act. Well she roared at me...but eventually said forget it and did not charge me. I was never rude and I did not say I was moving to a better place just that circumstances changed and I will not be in Edinburgh etc. I was absolutely gobsmacked and she should not be in the business if thats how she deals with people.

That's my little rant for the day! Have a lovely trip Kavey and let us know what you get up to.

S
Mar 26th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! This isn't for a trip for me but for my friend, Ruth! I'm sure they will have a great trip!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO