Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Glasgow-area B&B/hotel recommendations, please...

Jan 10th, 2002, 10:10 AM
xxx

Hello.
I'm considering a short trip to Glasgow/Edinburgh for 5 days in February.

I'll be traveling solo.

I've done a search on Smoothhound for B&Bs/hotels in the Glasgow area but would welcome recommendations.

I'd like a room with en-suite facilities, color TV and breakfast included. Price-wise, I'd like to keep it around £30/night.

As far as location, I'd prefer something near the city center and/or someplace near one of the underground stops.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Jan 10th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Can

ttt

Jan 10th, 2002, 10:56 AM
ron

I would recommend the Town House Hotel, 21 Royal Crescent, Glasgow, G3 7SL I think it is in Smoothhound. I stayed there in October 2000; the price was £30 single and it was really nice. The only one of your criteria that it might not fit is location/transportation to city centre. It is in the West End on a bus route. I always walked but it was a fair hike to the city centre.

Jan 10th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Sheila

Try Adelaide's Guesthouse 209 Bath St, Glasgow G2 4HZ. Tel 0141 248
4970,fax 226 4247. About £30 single, £40 if en suite. This is a City centre conversion of a church hall, used to bring in revenue. Never stayed there myself but am told it's very good. No breakfast but you can get it from the cafe from 0745

Jan 10th, 2002, 03:30 PM
xxx

topping...

Jan 10th, 2002, 04:23 PM
frank

The Eurohostel is about £15/night, its in the city centre, fairly new, looks OK, never been inside.
Various sites have accom enquiries facilities for it, eg try the accom section of www.scotland-glasgow.co.uk.
The Holiday Inn Express in Saltmarket should be OK too.(not the other HIExpresses)
Try searching from the UK Yahoo (yahoo.co.uk)

Jan 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Dr. Betty

Dear Mr. or Ms. xxx,
A year ago, about this time, I was searching for a place to stay in Glasgow. We didn't stay in the city center, but stayed in New Town. While in the city, I was able to locate places I had considered, but didn't book, as well as locations that would be interesting for the next visit. I discovered the website www.aboutscotland.com which may offer some additional possibilities.

I would suggest that you consider what it is that you would like to see and visit within walking distance to your hotel/B&B and start narrowing down the options from there.
The Royal Crescent mentioned above is very central and has an elegant feel. Glasgow is a great city and all of its jewels are accessible through the Clockwork Orange underground.

Since you have but 5 days spread between Glasgow and Edinburgh, be close to what you want to immerse yourself in.
Have a Barkin' Time as the locals say (right Sheila?).

Dr. Betty