Glacier Express - Help!

Search

Glacier Express - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glacier Express - Help!

I am confused about this. According to SBB, there seems to be standard trains running on the Glacier Express route (Brig to Chur). They are called Regio (one of trains is named R 558.)

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe...fasScrollDir=1

Are these trains covered by Eurail Pass? Or do we still have to pay extra surcharge?

Also I already reserved for Golden Pass. Is Glacier Express so much better that it's worth to ditch Golden Pass and lose reservaton fee?

I appreciate any opinion.

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM

This topic was covered fairly extensively just in the past few days. I'm not sure if the search function is working well enough to bring it up.

You can take other trains which will be totally covered by your Eurail Pass that DO travel the same line as Glacier Express. Personally, although I've done it a couple times, I don't get all the hype about the Glacier Express, and you may just want to take another train on the same route. I don't quite understand your question about Golden Pass vs. Glacier Express as they are two different areas. I'd think it depends on where you're staying and what you're trying to get to.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Unless things have changed, which is possible, the route between Brig and Chur is run by the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn (THAT has NOT changed)which does not, as I recall accept a standard Eurail Pass. What they WILL accept is a SwissPass, otherwise you may have to pay a supplement. I'll try to do some checking on this and re-post.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

I didn't know it was discussed and i stil can't find it.

Actually, Golden Pass is more convenient for us. But since Glacier Express is so famous, I thoght if I should tweak the schedule to take that instead of Golden Pass. So I'm asking opinion of those who have seen both scenery.

BTW, we are taking Bernina Express next day.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Go here for the fare information..notice the box at lower right which speaks to fares and cards accepted.

I was slightly incorrect..the MG Bahn only goes as far as Disentis.

As to the scenery...it is fairly spectacular, especially in the area around Andermatt; ;lots of switchbacks, dramatic rises in height, and spiral tunnels.

Better than the Golden Pass? Personally, I think parts of the GE route are more spectacular and some less.

If you only do the Bernina and the Golden Pass I think you'll come away satisfied.

Note that if you do the Brig-Chur route on "regular" (non GE trains) you may have to change.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Sorry..here's the URL:

http://www.mgbahn.ch/travelinformati...leundfares.php
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Eurailpasses valid only from Disentis to Chur or St Moritz, not on Disentis-Brig-Zermatt and fairly pricey. Swisspasses cover all. Personally i feel Glacier Express is overblown - and a long, for many tedious 8-hr marathon run with fairly similar scenery the whole way - nice but boring to many i've seen on the train after a while.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM

theilian,

I've taken all three. I'd rank the Golden Pass and Bernina Express routes with or above the Glacier Express. I agree with the comment that the Glacier Express is kind of plodding. Plus, the Eurailpasses work with the first two.

However, if you're taking Bernina Pass trains the next day, the Glacier Pass route hooks up directly to the Bernina route, whereas the Golden Pass is several hours away.

If you do take Bernina, don't skip the beginning segment from Chur to Pontresina/St. Moritz.