Search

Glacier Express

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Rocky

Glacier Express

Are there photo opportunities on the Glacier Express and Bernina Express or do these trains whizz on by the glaciers, lakes etc? Are they worth taking? I am thinking of using the Swiss pass to see as much of the countryside as I can and hope to get a lot of photos. Thanks

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 08:55 AM
reg

Heres an idea...get off the train to take your pictures!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Ann

No, Rocky, you will not have any real photo ops from the train. Even though it is a slow journey, you'll still have only a few seconds to see/shoot the scenery. And no, you can't get off to take the photos as the previous poster suggested. But truthfully, the scenery is primarily for viewing, as you will be rubbernecking... do book the panorama car! An interesting note: on our recent trip home, just outside Chur, a rock came off the face of a cliff and struck the big window on the opposite side of our car, causing the British family seated there to literally jump up as if they'd been struck. The glass was completely crazed but did not shatter, although the conductor quickly moved them to another table/seats. She said it had never before happened. Sure livened up the trip!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Rocky

Thanks for the info. Is the view the same from the 2nd class section as the 1st class? I know it ia a little more crowded. I hope to spend 5 days in Murren, 5 days in Lucern, and 5 days in Lugano. Do you think I will get enough of a 1st time view of the Alps, mountainside and lakes without taking trhe Glacier Express? Thanks for your help.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
rick.steves

I highly recomend sticking your head out of the window at every photo op posssible. It makes for exiting footage that Fodorites cannot stand.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Judy

Rocky:<BR><BR>Took both the Glacier and Bernina Expresses earlier this month: Glacier from Zermatt to St Moritz in regualr 2nd class car and the Bernina from St Moritz to Tirano, Italy and back to St Moritz in panorama wagons. I travelled 2nd class, only diff between 1st and 2nd class is number of seats per car. Sometimes 1st class has larger seats, but this is not a problem as with airline seats. 2nd class seats are plenty big enough.<BR><BR>Yes, photos are possible from the trains, they are really "express" in name only, not great speed. If you want to take photos, get a regular train car, not a panorama wagon. The windows on the regular cars can be lowered for picture taking but the panorama wagons do not lower, so you have too much glare on the windows to take decent photos. I was able to get fabulous photos on both trips but had to compensate a lot for the window glare. Some photos I took from the door between the cars which had a window that lowered....anyhow, photos are doable. I used a digital camera and got instant feedback on photos so I could see how I was doing as I was shooting.<BR><BR>You can get on and off the trains to shoot photos (or hike, eat at cafe etc) but it is easier to hop on and off on the Bernina route. It is served by many trains during the day, just not all called Bernina Express", and you can get on and off anytime. Many hikers were doing this and several of my fellow passangers got off at Alp Grum on the way to Tirano (great view of glaciers there in Alp Grum)) and must have hopped onto the next train to Tirano as I saw them later in the day in Tirano itself.<BR><BR>Two things I would recommend:<BR><BR>1.I would advise skipping the dining car on the Glacier Express. The food was on par with airline food, need I say more ?? and the staff was too busy catering to the Japanese tour groups to give much attention to the non-group diners, of which there were very few. Better to eat at your seat.<BR><BR>2. If you want glaciers, take the Bernina Express, not the Glacier. The Glacier is a lovely route but the view of glaciers is possible only thru binoculars!! The Bernina will get you much closer to three glaciers, and you can see much more of them even with the naked eye. A zoom lens will bring then in beautifully!<BR><BR>BTW you will be taking a portion of the Glacier Express route going from Chur to St Moritz; the Glacier and Bernina Express routes overlap on this stretch.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you,<BR><BR>Judy from Germany

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Rocky

Thanks Judy- that was just the answer I was looking for. Great help

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Ann

Yeah, Rocky, I have to say that I would never tell anyone to take the G.E. for the experience, as it is slow and takes a long time. The only reason is really to get to Zermatt. The 2nd class seats are fine, but the view is not too great, whereas in the panorama car, you have a table with 2 seats on either side and our train, during high season, had only travel partners at 4-tops; others, like us, were 2 to the table, which was nice for spreading out a bit, reading during boring stretches, etc. It's a very relaxing way to travel, but not particularly exciting... Also should note that on the return trip, we brought cheeses, sliced ham, crackers and chocolates and bought wine/beer from the vendor on board. One dining car experience is plenty, but we did enjoy it as I noted previously.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Philip

I took some great pictures through the window on the Glacier Express. (Hopefully your camera has a fast speed). There were also a few times when the train came to a halt, but obviously you can't always count on that. It is definitely possible, but you have to be ready.<BR><BR>I think Judy was being too kind in saying that the food in the dining car was on par with airline food. At least airline food is hot. Take some food with you and don't leave your seat.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:09 PM
jw

Hi, Rocky. I think your itinerary outline is a dandy one if mountains and lakes are what you're after. No matter how much film you pack, you will need more to record the scenery from Murren, Lake Lucerne, and Lake Lugano. Having said that, do leave the camera in your room from time to time, so you can just spend time looking and memorizing the experience that pictures will never really capture. J.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Ginny

We went out of our way to take the <BR>glacier Express and paid extra and more for 1st class. What a disappoint! No panaramic car, expensive and bad food, no glaciers, a slow and not very interesting trip. I enjoyed several other train trips in Switzerland much more. Almost all the other trains were better and more interesting.