kate

Glacier 3000 dining

Has anyone been there for lunch? thanks

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Me

It's really cool.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:27 AM
jj

We went to the selfservice place (there is a restaurant where you are served just above) some years ago, when we were skiing up there. Had just a hot soup and some cheese, because we did not want to miss the best snow conditions of the day. Sorry, can't remember the prices, but as usual, they are higher in those places than down in the villages.<BR>It's a long trip up, but you might know that. Next to that, I suggest you have a nice breakfast that day, otherwise you might feel sort of dizzy at 3000 m. Just speaking of experience. Have fun! Suggest, you only head there on a superbe and clear day, otherwise, it's waste of money and time.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:38 AM
xxx

Was up at Glacier 3000 this summer - also grabbed a bite at the self-service place; it's quite nice, maybe there's even a sit-down restaurant inside (it's all a very modern complex). Don't think you'll be disappointed by the food. <BR><BR>Agree with the prior posting - don't go up if it's rotten weather (unless you like it that way, who knows about people's tastes...). It's a great place to grab a few (sun)rays on the terrace with a hot coffee or tea and dessert nearby; you can snow-shoe on the glacier, or take a dogsled ride as well, led by a rambunctious team of huskies. If you take one of the later gondolas down, you can probably ride with &quot;team&quot; - they'll huddle into a corner, practically on top of each other. Quite a sight...

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:38 AM
kate

Thanks for the response. Any idea of the drivetime from Geneva and Zermatt?

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:02 AM
xxx

Let's see, you should count:<BR><BR>From Geneva to Col du Pillon (the bottom station for the gondola up to Glacier 3000): drive time about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs., depending on how fast you drive. Believe you take the autoroute until Aigle, then up ascending on the Col du Mosses until it splits for Col du Pillon. <BR><BR>For Zermatt to Col du Pillon: probably about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. maybe a bit more. You have to allow train time from Zermatt to Tasch, assume that's where you're parking your car. Then it's a drive down one valley, an easy glide in the Valais toward Aigle, and again up...<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Andre

Kate,<BR><BR>If you're headed to Zermatt, I wouldn't go out of my way to see the Glacier des Diablerets (&quot;Glacier 3000&quot - the Gornergrat, Sunegga/Unterrothorn &amp; Klein Matterhorn are at least as spectacular.<BR><BR>Glacier 3000 is really worthwhile for people staying in the Gstaad area and wanting to get a taste of the &quot;real&quot; Alps.<BR><BR>From Geneva, you can head to Chamonix for just as spectacular scenery on the Auguille du Midi, Mer de Glace or Brevent in far less time (just over an hour). That said the drive from Geneva to Les Diablerets is absolutely beautiful.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Andre

Kate,<BR><BR>Just reread the thread and realized I hadn't really answered your questions:<BR><BR>1) It's a leisurely 2 hour drive to the cable car base station at the top of the Col du Pillon (Pillon Pass). I would say about the same distance (perhaps a little longer) to Taesch, where you park the car to get to Zermatt.<BR><BR>2) As you may have gathered from my previous post, I wouldn't recommend the Glacier as a lunch stop on the way from Geneva to Zermatt. Aside from the fact that it's a major detour (over 1 hour extra driving), the rapid and repeated changes in altitude could really tire you out. A good lunch spot would be Martigny (catch a great exhibition at the Fondation Gianadda: http://www.gianadda.ch/e/expos/index.html) or Sion (pretty old town dominated by 2 castles and surounded by vineyards).<BR><BR>3) Finally, you don't mention what season you will be driving the route - the Pillon Pass is quite treacherous in winter (they don't remove snow/ice as aggressively as on more major roads).<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:24 AM
kate

Andre - your suggestions are well taken, we just thought the idea of having lunch on a &quot;glacier&quot; would be fun. I'll check the other locations you mentioned-as always, thanks everyone for all your input. Kate