Giverny—Done it on your own w/o car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cadogan guide says there are buses and taxis from Vernon to Giverny, but.... Has anyone actually done it that way? Any tips on logistics, etc.?
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Hi LVSue<BR>I did the trip via train and bus last October. It is very easy - the bus schedule pretty much coordinates with the train. See the Giverny website -giverny.org for bus schedules and you can go to sncf.fr for train schedules. As a solo traveler, I did not check out the taxi which I think would be too expensive. Giverny was wonderful even in October and the museum down the road was fabulous too.<BR>Mara
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:21 AM

i took a taxi from the station to Giverny. I was told a taxi would be better because the bus would take 30-40 min, the taxi was 10 min. I arranged with the driver to pick me up at a certain time in order to catch the train that I wanted. I was going solo and on a tight schedule and I did not think the taxi was that expensive. I think it was about $18 round trip, that was in 2001.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 12:02 PM

I've been there twice. The first time we took a train from Paris to Vernon and then walked. I found a &quot;hike&quot; described in a book and we hiked across the bridge in Vernon, and followed the path of former railroad tracks and then up through a woods and down into Giverny from above. We had a hard time following the route, and the whole hike was maybe an hour and a half. After visiting Giverny we took a bus back to Vernon, but one didn't show up as scheduled (they didn't know why at the entrance to the museum) so we had to wait about an hour and a half for another one, arriving in Vernon just missing a train and having to wait about an hour for another one.<BR>In fact most of the day was spent &quot;waiting&quot;.<BR><BR>The next time we rented a car for the day, driving out from Paris early in the morning, having breakfast in the garden across from Giverny. Later we went to Honfleur for lunch after driving out to Etretat to see the cliffs, and also stopped in Pont Audemer late in the afternoon for a snack, before driving back to Paris arriving about 9 PM. <BR><BR>The day with the car far, far, far surpassed the day by train, hike, and bus -- and we accomplished so much more.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 02:03 PM

I did it by train and taxi from the Vernon train station. It was easy enough. I suggest allowing about half an hour or more lead time on the taxi picking you up. Perhaps it works just as well to call when you are ready to leave. I am not sure how well this works because I don't know if the personnel at the desk at the entrance will call for you or if the taxi company speaks a few words of English.<BR><BR>That was the only snafu in our trip. The taxi just did get there in time to return us to the station.<BR>
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the valuable info, Mara, garybear, Patrick and Bob! Being scared to drive in France, we'll probably go the train/taxi route, unless we get really brave and do train/bus. Thanks, Mara, for the bus schedule site. Patrick, your day sounds lovely—wish we could afford a chauffeur!<BR><BR>I just love the new feature on Fodors where you can find your old posts. I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to do much internet.<BR><BR> just love the new feature where
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM

I might offer another option: We booked a minivan. They picked us up at our hotel, drove us to Giverny (while we sat back and relaxed) and after a visit of a few hours, he drove back. The cost was $60 per person. We thought it was money well spent. We were originally going to take the train to Vernon. We decided against, when we realized that we'd have to get up very early to catch the train (changing metros twice to get to the station); then, if we missed the train, we would have to wait quite a while. So, we opted for the 8:30 minivan pickup at our hotel!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:38 PM

HowardR-do you recall the contact for booking the minivan tour and how recently did you do this ? Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't drive due to a diisability, but my husband who is not that brave a soul found it ok driving outside Paris once he gained his confidence. To have your own car means to also see the American Museum down the road from Monets, where all the American Impressionists are on exhibit and lunch there or also at the Anciente Hotel Baudy, a resto/museum where once these Americans lived. And anothe very nice restaurant is &quot;The Jardins de Giverny&quot;also a charming hotel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:02 PM

Austgrapes, we took the minivan last May. <BR>The tour company was France Tourisme on 33 Quai des Grands Augustines<BR>Telephone: 0-820-34-37-62<BR>Fax: 01-53-10-35-36<BR>Website: http://www.francetourisme.fr<BR>email: [email protected]<BR>Our driver's name, I believe, was Sebastian, and he was a delightful host.<BR>There are other companies which also have minivan trips.<BR>We were very happy we decided to do it, as the day before we had a most tiring trip to Versailles. And, the Giverny was a delightfully relaxing day. We think it was perhaps our favorite day during out two-week trip. Needless to say, we loved Giverny!
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:43 PM
ed

We took the train that leaves St Lazaire at around noon and then caught the bus to Giverny about ten minutes after arriving in Vernon.,<BR><BR>Going back to Paris is a bit less convenient because the train is late in the afternoon.<BR>.