Reload this Page >

Giverny in the Rain?

Search

Giverny in the Rain?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
fran

Giverny in the Rain?

I can't help myself. Have got to go to Giverny even though I only have 3 and a half days in Paris. In previous posts I was advised to take a tour to Giverney to save time. But the only morning tour I can find is a company called paris.trip. Cityrama and Parisvision have afternoon tours. Anyone familiar with paris.trip or know of another company with morning tour?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:49 PM
kam

It's very easy to go on your own by train. And, that way you can wait for a sunny day.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Howard

Since your time is limited, I think you're wise in taking a tour.<BR>Check out France Tourisme:<BR>http://www.francetourisme.com<BR>They go every morning except Monday (8:30-1:30). <BR>The bus trip is 45 euro.<BR>We opted for the minivan which was 60 euro. We thought it was worth the additional 15. For one, they pick you up at your hotel.<BR>Sure, you can take the train, but we felt it was too much of hassle, what with getting up early, taking the metro (with 2 or 3 connections) to catch an 8:15 train to Vernon and then getting a bus or cab to Giverny.<BR>We were very happy we took the minivan instead!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Paula

I have to say, the train was a hassle,plus getting taxi connections once there, and while I normally don't like groups, Howard is probably right and had we known, probably would have taken the minivan too.<BR><BR>Giverny is wonderful--even in the rain (which I can vouch for, 'cause it was raining a bit when I was there). Especially for Monet lovers!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Howard

One other good thing about the minivan is that it's not a big group. There were only five of us in the minivan!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Chet

Hi Fran:<BR><BR>Go! Go! Go! Rain or no rain. Giverney is wonderful!! I second the idea of a tour in a small minivan. <BR>Happy travelling, Chet

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:17 PM
fran

Thanks, everyone. I have reserved the minivan tour with France Tourisme to Giverny. I have wanted to go ever since I saw a Monet exhibit which came to Phoenix several years ago. Can't wait!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Howard

Fran, glad you took my advice. I hope you get the same driver we did. I believe his name was Sebastian, a young man who was born in the US. His father was a French journalist working here at the time.<BR>Our visit at Giverny was one of the high points of our two-week trip to Paris.<BR>I hope that you'll also have time for the d'Orsay and Marmottan museums.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:26 AM
led

The vibrant colors and smells of the Monet gardens at Giverny when drenched by the rain are asolutely heavenly! I took a minivan trip there, then returned another day to spend a night in the little hotel, then drove myself up the river to Auver-sur-oise for some incredible walking through the town where Van Gogh lived and painted during his last days.Also really worth a trip! For more info: http://www.auvers-sur-oise.com