Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Giverny in the end of October. What was your experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Nina

Please share your experiences about your visit to Giverny in the end of October. We are interested in a weather you had, a number of tourists, places to eat and stay overnight, other things to do beside visiting Monet place and American Museum. How would you chose to travel from CDG to Giverny without going to Paris? <BR>From Giverny we are thinking about visiting D-Day beaches. How far it is from Giverny?<BR><BR>And how long is a drive from the beaches to CDG?<BR>We have 6 days only.<BR>Thanks you

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:55 AM
Anthony

Without traffic, it is about an hour driving to Giverny from CDG. It is another 2 1/2 hours to Omaha Beach. You have to leave extra time particularly to get out of Paris.<BR><BR>In May we drove from CDG to Bayeux in Normandy. With all the traffic near Paris it took us 4 1/2 hours. We are experienced travelers and knew we had to cope with jet lag so we took it easy.<BR><BR>The Giverny Gardens were very crowded in May. They will be less so in October but the floral splendor will be highly reduced.<BR><BR>In my view trying to do too much on a trip is always a mistake. To illustrate, we plan to visit Provence in September. In the past we have always flown in to Nice then driven for 2 1/2 hours to St. Remy. This time we are flying in to CDG, boarding the TGV speed train for Avignon that will leave us 20 minutes from our hotel.<BR><BR>So consider rail travel then getting a car in Rouen. From there to Omaha Beach it is about an hour and a half. <BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Tony

I doubt Giverny would be worthwhile at the end of October. It is a place to visit when the gardens are in bloom. Monet's home and the American Museum are interesting, but in my opinion not worth the time unless the you also get to see the gardens in their full splendor.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sally

Go to the Giverny website. I think they have photos of what is blooming for each month they are open.<BR><BR>I have been there in late May and in the middle of October. It was beautiful and full of flowers both times- actually more in October because they were still setting out bedding plants in May.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:46 PM
kam

Was in Giverny in October, 1999. There were still some flowers in bloom and the house was lovely, but it poured down rain for the whole time we were there and we ended up drinking coffee and shopping in the little souvenir shop. I believe it was the second week of October. Rained terribly in Paris as well. We do a lot of traveling for business in October and at some point during that month the weather will change quite a bit in Europe. It's always a crap shoot as to which week the change will come. Good luck---maybe Chartres as an alternative?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Lucy

I was in Giverny for a day trip just last October (albeit early in the month) & I was amazed & delighted to find the garden in full bloom with every colour of the rainbow. The weather was fantastic while I was there & there were no big crowds to deal with - a wonderful experience!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
Dayle

We visited Giverny on a Cityrama 1/2 day tour during second week of October. The gardens were lovely and after 4 days of heavy rain & wind in Paris, our afternoon in Monet's gardens was actually partly sunny! The big bonus was that our tour bus group was the only one there so we had it all to ourselves.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Nina

Thank you all for sharing. We'be there October 20th

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:54 AM
Nina

Also any ideas on a place to stay and some things to do? Are there any hiking or walking paths? Thanks again