Give us a clue

Feb 16th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Little Cricket

Give us a clue

* fun-loving seniors leaving for Munich, Salzberg & Innsbruck on March 17 from Wisconsin.
We heard there's a nice beerhall(not a Tourist hangout) near the R.R.Station in Munich We also would like to know places to see and EAT that are ethnic and good. We like to enjoy the native activities in these cities and stay away from the TOURISTAS.
Advice appreciated.
J.J.W.

Feb 16th, 1999, 01:23 PM
wes Fowler

The beer hall you're looking for is NOT the Hofbrauhaus listed in most tourist guides and laden with TOURISTAS as a result. The beer garden/hall you should look out for is the Augustiner Grossgaststatten, on Neuhauserstrasse 16, the broad pedestrian avenue leading from the train station to Marienplatz. Augustiner is Munich's premier beer; the beer hall has a quiet beer garden in its rear. You realize, of course, that "ethnic" food from a Munchener's perspective is going to be at McDonalds. If you want good Bavarian dining consider Hundskugel at Hotterstrasse 18. It's been serving Bavarian food for over 300 years and should be fairly expert by now. The Max-Emanuel Brauerei at Adalbertsrasse 33 is about as old and equally genuine. To do like the natives, go to the Viktualienmarkt off Marienplatz and shop for the makings of a picnic lunch.

Feb 16th, 1999, 01:28 PM
elaine

wes, I'm in awe. Is there any place you don't know about?

Feb 16th, 1999, 06:17 PM
Denise

Agree with you Elaine, perhaps wes should start a Fowler Forum. We gain so much info from him.

Feb 17th, 1999, 05:37 AM
dan

I must admit Wes, I am constantly impressed too. Maybe we should start an "Ask Wes" section on Fodors. Take his suggestion and go to the Viktualienmarkt for a wonderful experience - try the Weiswurst, but you must eat them before noon according to Munich tradition. There are also many little food shops for pastries and other goodies that you can just pop into for a quick bite.

Why would someone from Wisconsin be interested in beer? Just kidding - I used to live in Wisconsin. My professor was very into wines, and we went to wine tastings all over Germany, Hungary, and the Czech Republic.