give me advice

May 13th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

give me advice

I will go to U.K. this July and participate in Expat Explore' tour after staying in London for a few days. Please give me some advice. How's about Expat Explore? Does anyone join its tour before?
May 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM

http://www.expatexplore.com/great_britain/index.html

is this what you have booked?

if so, you're going to see a lot of the inside of the coach!

it is billed as "3 countries, 8 counties, in 8 days" on Day 1 you go from London, to Cambridge to York - and then you leave York the next morning, so the amount of time you get there must be very limited. another day takes you from Liverpool to Stratford, to Abergaveney, which is a very strange, and hardly scenic route.

there are reviews on trip advisor - have you read them?
May 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I'm really sorry winnie but this is not a very nice tour/itinerary. Make the best of it and assume you will come back again some day.

Usually I don't bad mouth a specific tour when someone has already booked/paid for it. No point in making them feel bad when there is no way to change/fix things. But this one is truly awful. There is one good day - the day you'll have free in Edinburgh - where you can get out on your own and explore. But the rest of it is really dreadful
May 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM

I had a Weslh acquaintance, who was born in Cwm, a mine town near Abergavenny. He used to say "If it's Tuesday, its market day in Abervavenny."

On a trip around England a friend of mine and Ihappened to be near Abergavenny on Tuesday. Sure enough, it was market day, very quaint.

Then we rounded a corner and encountered a brand new Safeway. Apparently Abergavenny had changed since my acquaintance's childhood.
May 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM

jj - we don't know that it's the tour that the OP has booked. but it was the only UK one I could find on the Expat Explore website.

i won't repeat how much i wish that people who start threads would post relevant links to help us out, cos the last time i did, it got me into a bit of trouble! [something to do with trains, if I remember rightly]
May 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM

You're right, we don't know for sure that is the tour. It seems to be, but maybe (hopefully) not . . .
May 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM

ooh -- just saw the prices. That is an awfully inexpensive tour £400-ish for 6 nights/three countries (oh, plus a compulsory £48 'Food Fund') and I can't find where they name the hotels.

winniewenyi: Please let us know which tour you booked.
May 15th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

I am sorry without detail. I have booked a 26-day tour of Ultimate Europe.
http://www.expatexplore.com/ultimateeurope/index.html
May 15th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

The following is their schedule.

Day 1: London - Dover - Bruges - Amsterdam

Depart London and catch a glimpse of the White Cliffs of Dover as you cross the English Channel. Next we stop for a short visit to the ancient city of Bruges, famous for many things including beer and chocolates. Arrive in Amsterdam and join us after dinner for a walking tour in the world famous Amsterdam 'Red Light District', which leaves the night open to paint the town red!
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Dinner)
Day 2: Amsterdam countryside tour
This morning our countryside tour starts with a cheese farm visit. Of course, the artwork is edible and the Dutch won’t let you leave before you realise there is more to cheese than cheddar. We then visit the famous fishing village of Volendam, before going to the windmill village of Zaanse Schans, famous for the making of wooden shoes, or “klompe”. Free afternoon to explore Amsterdam at your own pace. Perhaps take in a canal cruise, or Anne Frank's House, Dam Square, van Gogh Museum or maybe a bicycle tour.
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 3: Amsterdam - Berlin
Berlin has so much to show and offer, tonight you can enjoy and explore the cool, weird and wonderful bars and clubs of Berlin!
(Overnight hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 4: Berlin free day
We begin the day with a guided walking tour of the city and all its famous sites. the rest of the day is free for you to explore at your own leisure. Berlin is a mix of old and new, East and West! The city is one of few cities that has three UNESCO World Heritage sites, and the only city in the world with three active opera houses.
(Overnight hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 5: Berlin - Dresden - Prague
We start our Eastern European adventure in Dresden - try some of the local food like bratwurst over lunch time. Explore the sights off this former Eastern German city - restored after it's near complete destruction in the Second World War. Continue to Prague for a guided local walking tour and discover the cobbled stone maze of the medieval city!
(Overnight hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 6: Prague free day
Free day to explore the amazing capital city of the Czech Republic. Prague's famous castle has been the home to a Czech King, president and even a Roman Emperor, and it also boasts the largest castle area in the world!
(Overnight hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 7: Bratislava - Vienna
Explore the historic streets of Bratislava. Boasting amazing architecture, history and natural landscapes. Historically known for building VW cars, the manufacture of furniture, and musical instruments; if you listen closely, Bratislava has many interesting tales to tell. We continue to Austria's lively capital, Vienna!
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 8: Ljubljana - Venice
We drive through Austria today, crossing into Slovenia and the pretty capital city, Ljubljana. Our next stop is Venice, famous for water, romance and beauty, for an evening local guided tour of the city.
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 9: Venice
A great day to explore Venice on your own. We recommend a visit to the Island of Murano for a glass-blowing & lace making demonstration. Alternatively you can simply relax and soak up the sun on the sandy beaches at Jesolo or Lido!
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 10: Venice - Rome
We depart Venice and continue south to Rome. Join us this afternoon for a local guided walking tour combining ancient wonders with Renaissance master pieces. See the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Roman Forum and the Colosseum.
(Overnight resort bungalow)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 11: Rome and the Vatican City
Your free day to explore the ancient cities of Rome and the Vatican City, the smallest country in the world. The Vatican City is a UNESCO World Heritage site; the only site to encompass a whole country, and it issues its own passports!
(Breakfast)

Day 12: Pompeii or Rome
Join us for an optional tour of Pompeii, famous for the destruction caused by Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD in the old Roman city. Or head into Rome to spend the day at leisure.
(Breakfast)

Day 13: Florence and Tuscany
Leaving Rome we head to Florence. On arrival you have a local guided city tour before having the opportunity to shop in, or just visit, the world famous leather markets. Spend the night in the heart of Florence, where the evening meal includes typical Italian cuisine. A great night to 'show your moves' at the 70's-styled local disco.
(Overnight hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 14: Pisa - Nice
Today we visit one of the most famous sites in the world for a photo-stop, the leaning tower of Pisa! We make a stop at the famous Fragonard perfumery before heading to our hotel on the French Riviera.
(Overnight 2* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 15: Nice and the French Riviera
As the saying goes: “It's always nice in Nice”. Your fee day: a great day to lie on the beach and follow it with a night on the town in glamorous Monaco or luxurious Monte Carlo.
(Overnight 2* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 16: Arles - Barcelona
Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site in Arles, often called the soul of Provence, this town on the Rhône attracts art lovers, archaeologists. Next we head to Spain and the energetic city of Barcelona, classified as one of the most interesting cities in Europe.
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 17: Barcelona
Your free day to enjoy the delights of Barcelona. You can visit the many famous sites, or simply wonder down the vibrant La Rambla - Barcelona's busiest avenue attracting 150 000 visitors a day is crammed with street artists, food stalls, markets and many restaurants! Tonight you can experience the Spanish nightlife for yourself in one of the many night clubs.
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 18: Barcelona
Another free day to continue your sightseeing in Barcelona. Or simply relax on the beach and work on your tan.
(Overnight 3-star hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 19: Barcelona - Avignon
Depart Barcelona and continue to the Pont du Gard to see the famous 2000 year old Roman aqueduct. Visit to the fortified town of Avignon and see the Papal Palace.
(Overnight 3* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 20: Geneva - Switzerland
A great day to experience the beauty of Switzerland! Enjoy a relaxing, scenic drive past Lake Geneva with free time for lunch in Geneva. We continue to the Swiss Alps where we stay in a typical mountain village in the heart of the Jungfrau region. One of the most-visited places in the Alps, it is also a World Heritage site.
(Overnight 2* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 21: Jungfrau, Swiss Alps
A free day to explore and take in the spectacular scenery. This is also a great day to visit Jungfraujoch where you can have a snow fight, even in the middle of summer, on top of the 4000m high glacier.
(Overnight 2* hotel)
(Breakfast)

Day 22: Switzerland - Liechtenstein - Munich
Depart Jungfrau for Germany with a lunch stop in Liechtenstein, the small country sandwiched between Switzerland and Austria. After this we arrive in Munich and finish off the day with dinner at a traditional beer hall.
(Overnight 2* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)
NOTE: Some tours have overnight stay in Nuernberg instead of Munich.

Day 23: Rhine Valley
This morning we continue into Germany, where your Rhine Valley experience awaits: Enjoy a drink as the Rhine River boat takes you to your hotel in the heart of Rhine Valley. Sights along the way include the most concentrated stretch of castles in Europe, vineyards, cliffs and medieval German towns. After dinner, why not go on a pub-crawl, taste the local German beers and enjoy the real hospitality of the locals and the pub owners, or why not take a relaxing stroll along the river and take time out to recharge.
(Overnight 2 or 3* hotel)
(Breakfast, Dinner)

Day 24: Luxembourg - Paris
One of Europe's smallest countries - it's Luxembourg this morning! We continue to Paris, 'The City of Lights and Love'. On your first evening, explore the city from the comfort of the Expat Explore coach on a guided coach tour, where you will be shown the sights of the city, with the help from your tour leader. Take note of all of the places of interest you want to explore on your own on your free day at your leisure; and afterwards indulge in the Parisian nightlife surrounding the Moulin Rouge and local bars.
(Breakfast)

Day 25: Paris free day
The whole day is yours! Why not cruise up the Seine River to the Eiffel Tower, see world famous artworks at the Louvre, head to Montmatre to see the Sacre Coeur, or go to Disneyland for the day. Ask your Expat Explore tour leader for more ideas and suggestions. The diversity of Paris means that you can admire famous artworks, visit historical landmarks, indulge in the finest French cuisine, check out the latest fashions, cover yourself in perfume or simply just relax in a café, all in one day if you wish!
(Breakfast)

Day 26: Paris - London
After breakfast it’s back to London via the English Channel and time to say good-bye to all your new friends!
(Breakfast)

And this is about accommodation.

TOUR ACCOMMODATION Comfort Tours Accommodation is provided in twin rooms. Singles travellers will be accommodated in same-gender twin rooms. In certain locations, particularly in Austria and Switzerland, a twin room is commonly accepted as referring to two separate mattresses and duvets contained in one large bed frame. Please note that in some places you may have additional beds, but we guarantee that you will only have 2 people in a room. This is as per your specific tour itinerary i.e. ferries on our Best of Europe and Europe with a Cruise tours have 4-share cabins with the option to upgrade to twin share. Please also note that in some properties, lifts may not directly service all floors and access to and from these floors may be by stairway only.
May 15th, 2012, 06:32 AM

No time to comment in full (catching a plane in about 2 hours)- but you got the answers you did because the thread is tagged for the UK so we assumed you were asking about a tour in England/Scotland.

You might want to start a new thread tagged for the countries the tour is visiting.
May 15th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank your kindness. At least, I know Expat Explore is existing. There are many scams online and I didn't know how to avoid. That's why I posted here. Moreover, I am very glad to meet some friends who are also interested in trip here.
May 15th, 2012, 07:42 AM

wow, winnie please come back and tell us how you get on, it looks like a lot of bus window to me. I think I'd sleep a lot and try to get out at night.
May 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM

That looks like spending money to sit by a bus window...26 days of that and I'd be certifiable. But I do hope you enjoy your trip.
May 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM

Depart London and catch a glimpse of the White Cliffs of Dover >>

the operative word being "glimpse".

dear winnie, can i urge you to look at reviews of these tours on trip advisor, before you book? [i only had time for a glimpse!] I'm astonished for example, that they take you to Vienna but you don't even get to spend a day there. The only place you get a decent stop is Barcelona, and by the time you get there, I'll be surprised if you know what country you're in, let alone what city.

and do you know where the hotels will be? often on these types of tours they are way outside the centre, making wandering around after dinner difficult and expensive. and the food, being ordered and prepared for a group, may not be the best.

what are they charging you for this, may we ask?
May 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Sorry to say - but I am fraid you are wasting all o fyuor time and money. With this tour you will see next to nothing and spend a huge amount of time just sitting (or probbly sleeping) on a bus.

I'm never a fan of tours - but this is possibly the worst I have ever seen.

If you can - cancel andtake the money and actually go see 3 or 4 places - not countries, but major places - with several days and perhaps a day trip from each.
May 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM

You want advice: don't take that tour.

What a nightmare.

You go across France both east and west on the bloody tour - that's the largest country in Western Europe and you drive across half the continent to dip your toe in what, ten major cities? Completely unnecessary and ill-thought out itinerary.
May 15th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Please listen to nytraveler and Big Russ and cancel this trip if you can. It is a very badly planned trip. So many places you are going, you will not be there at times when things are open for touring or when you can actually see anything. You are spending a lot of money to sit on a bus for hours when you could spend that same amount of money and really be seeing wonderful places.
May 16th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I feel very bad after reading all of your comments because I have paid it. I don't know how to describe my emotion now.....
I still appreciate your kindness.
May 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM

hey, you might make a bunch of friends on the trip who make it all worthwhile, I'd get very comfortable on the coach, sleep as much as possible and get out in the evening.
May 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM

winnie - I did one of these whirlwind tours with Contiki the first time I travelled and had a blast. You will spend a lot of time on the bus, but will likely meet some great people and you will see some amazing things - even if it is just briefly. It will make you want to come back to Europe for more!

Make the best of it and go in with a positive attitude and enjoy it! No point in feeling bad and disappointed at this point. Have a fabulous time and enjoy it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO