Search

Gites

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gites

Has anyone had any experience with a good organization renting gites? Need one in Provence area in May, 04.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:46 PM

The official gites site is <www.gites-de-france.fr>. I found it to be more than a little clunky and was frustrated by the quality of the pictures and the dearth of descriptions. For the past three years we have been renting through the rental by owner websites (particularly, www.holiday-rentals.com and www.frenchconnections.co.uk) and have found them to be very satisfactory.

We've never asked the owners for references from other renters, but that would probably be a good idea. So far, we've rented six different properties, and although there are some we have preferred over others, none has been a total dud.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:54 PM

I seem to remember my parents used Gites de France for years but did it the old fashioned way (paper brochure!)

They got some fantastic places and really enjoyed it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:55 PM
AR

I don't know where you are from, but the best brochure available in the UK (and on-line) is Brittany Ferries (www. brittany-ferries.co.uk). They have excellent gites at the best prices.
As they can be accessed on-line, I don't see why you can't browse their "holiday" section and even book?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:03 PM

You can try the following:

Alastair Sawday's website which is:
www.sawdays.co.uk

also:

www.coquelicot.com

also, ask Ursula Mouton at her email ([email protected]) about her newly-opened house in Mons.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:07 AM

i have also gone thru gites de france and found that a lot of gite owners in provence have their websites, which is great for descriptions. i just booked thru gites de france a gite near dijon. hopefully it will be as charming as the one we had in provence.

here's the site to that gite. it was centrally located between carpentras and outside of pernes les fontaines (a very nice town - the visitor's center has self guided walks you can take to the various sites. wonderful trompe l'eoil facades!

http://www.lanesquiere.com/heberg.html

the owner isabelle speaks flawless english as well.

have fun!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:38 AM

The internet sub sites for Gites de France vary in quality quite a bit. For some departments they are excellent, for others they are quite clumsy. I guess they didn't have the same people design them all
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:42 PM

I have booked houses in Aude (Languedoc) for four years; three years from English speaking owners (all thru the internet); last year I did it thru the Gites-de-France website; fortunately, the service for the Aude Department is very, very helpful. They speak English, and all went very well.
I rented a house in Caunes Minervois (which it seems is where Rick Steves takes his tours) and I had four bedrooms, linens provided, for under $400 a week...no phone, but a wonderful old house with view and garden behind.
I have run into problems with the Ariege Gite-de-France website, and would deal with the HQ in Foix, if I decide to rent one in this department.
I would also suggest checking Clevacances, as they handle rentals also.
Sites seem to be in French (also) but the brochures are free, where the Gites-de-France books must be ordered and paid for.
I am already planning my next trip (Spring 2004) and yes, I am looking online, and if it is in Aude, would have no hesitation in doing it online again.
They sent the contract by airmail, and I sent it back, giving credit card number. They offered booking insurance, which I took, since I was booking well in advance. I won't bother next time. I was given discounts on local historical sites (all the Cathar castles) and a free admission to the Imagin@arium in the Cite at Carcassonne.
Since I am so in love with the Languedoc-Midi Pyrenees, I have no interest and no info in other areas, but
do check out all the other listings...
there are so many rentals available, not just Gites-de-France, but so many companies that list...I have used the search with department and rental or vacation ("aude rental", etc).
Good luck...if you have questions about Aude, Ariege, please ask. I am not an expert, but I am learning...
lakin
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:47 AM
Buzzy

There are a multitude of websites and brochures selling holidays in France but I really don't think you can beat the Gites De France organisation when it comes to cost. You will find that almost all English owned properties will be as much as 3 times the price for a similar standard of accommodation to that available trough Gites De France.

My advice is to decide on your budget and where you want to go. To search properties in your chosen area with a minimum of 3 epis classification and then marvel at the prices compared to the others out there. You may find that if your budget is generous you can rent an exceptional property for the same price as a very basic let booked elsewhere. Good luck. I spent last summer in two Gites, have another picked out for next year and have just booked Christmas in a beautiful riverside gite for just 225 euros or £157.00 at current conversion rates.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:21 AM

We have stayed in several gites rented through the gites de france organization over the years and never been disappointed. I certainly am happy that most gite regions now are on the internet. We stayed in a converted mill in the Provence area between Salon de Provence and Aix en Provence which was a perfect location for our needs. I found that enough information is given in the description to evalute the gite, keeping in mind it is likely to be in a rural setting so if a large city dwelling is your choice the gite may not be your style. We enjoy the homes that are typical of the region we are visiting and very unlike our home in the US, for us that is the charm of a gite stay. In 2004 it will be the Rhone-Alps area, can't wait. You will find that Provence is a wonderland, enjoy. Deborah