Reload this Page >

Gimmelwald - Any Feedback?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:49 AM
David

Greetings! My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. We've heard some raves about Switzerland's Gimmelwald (Rick Steves), and were wondering if anyone had any experiences and/or opinions about same. What can one do while in Gimmelwald? Also, any ideas about lodging? Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:01 AM
ajs

David,<BR><BR>Here's my take:<BR>Gimmelwald, while very beautiful, is very sleepy, and it's position on the ledge over the Lauterbrunnen Valley is such that a massive stone edifice blocks much of the view of the Jungfrau range. Since, to me, that view is THE reason to be in that area, I suggest you stay in Murren, just a short hike away. You can easily walk down to Gimmelwald any day you choose, and the walk back, while uphill, is a paved road and not that steep. That's how we did it, and were very happy with our decision. Enjoy!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
Wayne

Gimmelwald is a prime example of the disastrous results of Rick Steves' recommendations. It's way too small to handle the kind of human influx that it sometimes experiences. We can only be thankful that it is somewhat isolated and therefore not completely overwhelmed by hordes of tourists; but there are more there during the summer than the little village can handle. Yes, it's cute, but there is nothing much to see that couldn't be seen elsewhere, and nothing to do at all except hike or sleep. My suggestion is to stay away from Gimmelwald and give those poor residents a rest.<BR><BR>If you want to stay in a mountain village where there is something going on (and where there are also loads of tourists) you can try Wengen or Murren. For a little less tourist congestion, go over to the next valley west of Wengen to the villages of Adelboden or Kandersteg.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:28 AM
Bob Brown

Gimmelwald is pretty, but very small.<BR>I have visited that valley 3 times and will be there again in a little over a week. Gimmelwald as far as I am concerned is a place to get off of the Luftseilbahn before you get to M&uuml;rren.<BR>The trail to the Kilchbalm starts there, which is about the only attraction I have found, other than some small accommodations and a place or two to eat.<BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Linda

Just got back from the area on Friday. We stayed 3 nights in Murren. It was our first trip to the area, and I read MANY accounts of where to stay, where not to stay. <BR><BR>We loved Murren, it is very quite, and peaceful. GREAT, breathtaking views! We stayed at the Hotel Alpina. We paid 150 francs a night, which included breakfast buffet (Cheese, bread, cereal, cold cuts, fresh yogurt, coffee etc.) The views from our balcony were unbelievable!!! I also want to tell you about the service we received!!! Roger, the owner, and his staff - Carla, Diana, and Agrapina were EXTREMELY helpful and professional. They went out of their way to help us, and accomodate our needs. (One night we were over 30 minutes late for our dinner reservation. They were already cleaned up and set up for the next day's breakfast, yet they served us with a smile!)<BR><BR>Our only concern with Murren was that is was a genuine Swiss village, with only a handful of souvenir shops. However, we were able to satify our "cheesy" shopping needs in Lauterbrunnen, in the valley, and Wengen on the other side of the valley.<BR><BR>Also, if you plan to stay in the area for several days, look in to getting the Oberland Train pass. This way you can see all the towns in the area, and save yourself some money.<BR><BR>Good Luck and have fun!<BR>Linda<BR><BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
yeagermeister

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Austria/Southern Germany this December. We have also heard the raves about this small town and were planning on driving out there before wrapping up our trip. We've been on numerous web sites and EVERYONE says how much of a "must see" this place is.<BR><BR>These posts are the first we've seen that would make us second guess that and we're VERY intrigued. We would be traveling WAAY out of our way to get there and would cut it out of trip if it wasn't worth the travel time.<BR><BR>Anyone who has more to add to this subject PLEASE keep the info coming.<BR><BR>This forum has been a great help and has influenced our travel plans tremendously!!!!<BR><BR>Thanks for the help!<BR>Yeager

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Linda

In Response to Yeagermeister - I understood we were discussing which location to stay at while in the Bernese Oberland area, not whether this region is/is not a must see. <BR><BR>1. In my opinion, (I have traveled all around Europe over the past 15 years), this area is a Definate MUST SEE, sometime within one's travels. It is simply beautiful, and a wonderful place to spend time during a honeymoon!!<BR><BR>2. As for Gimmelwald, Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald, Lauterbrunnen, etc, some villages are in the valley, some are higher in the mountians - each person has to make a choice on what's right for himself/herself.<BR><BR>I have not been to Austria, but have been to Germany a few times, including Munich. We liked those locations too. We enjoy traveling through cities, shopping, watching people. This area in Switzerland however, is more focused on nature and nature's beauty. <BR><BR>Like I said before, I think it would be a wonderful place to spent time on a honeymoon (or just to relive one!!) <BR><BR>Good Luck,<BR>Linda

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:26 PM
ajs

FYI, this link has a great perspective of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, complete with labels. It's picture #3.<BR><BR>http://www.hpphoto.com/home/viewMyAl...oll_id=1798214

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 04:08 AM
mbln74a

Hi, ...Gimmelwald. We have been to this area many times & get a kick out of walking down to Gimmelwald & seeing the Hotel sign in 2 directions, but that is about it. Your age & your comfort zone would determine whether or not you'll enjoy Gimmelwald. Personally my age & comfort zone rule it out..but it is a beautiful site & a walk from Murren should be on your agenda. Plus the area is so gorgeous, it hardly matters where you stay, as long as you can see the mts.<BR>Not sure this helps, but it is a try. Do look at www.twenj.net.<BR>Have a great tirp. Linda