Gifts to say "Thank You"

Search

Gifts to say "Thank You"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts to say "Thank You"

The owner of the hotel we are staying at in Venice has been extremly helpful in making various reservations and answering our questions. We'd like to take something from the US as a thank you for all of their help and wanted to get some ideas of things you guys have taken.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Hello rohani, this question of yours has been asked before and most posters here feel that it is not necessary to take a gift to someone who is in a business of catering to customers.

However, saying that, if you want to take something as a "thank you" I would suggest some small craft item from your area. Or a if there is a coffee table book of the state you are from that would be nice.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:56 PM

I like to share music. We sent the bartender at Hotel d'Aubusson in Paris a CD. We spent almost every evening hanging out there, sipping martinis while we plotted our plans for the next day. He was great, and we thought the music of Pink Martini from our hometown of Portland, OR would be a great addition to his happy hour repetoire. I'm planning to take a handful of Pink Martini's new CDs when we head to Italy in June.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:00 AM

rohani- we have found out via a fluke tha nearly everyone LOVES Oreos and they are not exported. It is simple and sweet!!
Lyn
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
oldie

I've had Oreos in the US and they are horrible IMHO, a sort of dry version of an English custard cream.
I really wouldn't take gifts to hoteliers. At the best you will look untravelled and at the worst like a colonist in a pith helmet taking beads to the natives.
It is their business to be welcoming and helpful. Just leave a nice tip for the staff when you leave.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Rohani: I disagree with those above, if it's a small private hotel and you have received exceptional service even before getting there, then certainly take a gift. In no way does it suggest that you are 'untravelled' or akin to a 'colonist', rather it suggests that you have manners and an appreciation of the service provided. Equally, such acknowledgement will probably ensure that the same high standards will continue, which is of benefit to one and all.

I'm not sure where you live so not sure what you have locally that is unique. But even just a small tin of biscuits (sorry, cookies!) or chocolate.

In this situation it really is the thought that counts, and not the actual product. You could even wait until the end of your stay and just get a nice gooey cake!

When I was a small child we once had fabulous service from a hotel in Majorca. My parents gave them a gift when they left and wrote when they got home to thank them again; as a result they developed a lifelong friendship with the couple. There really is no harm in showing praise, particularly since the world is so busy criticising...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM

I agree with Tallulah - if you want to take something small as a thank you, there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It is actually part of the culture where I live to bring small gifts to show your appreciation - and so we have done this many times on our travels.

Obviously we don't present gifts to the desk clerk at some large, impersonal hotel just because they're there - but if a certain person has been particularly helpful, I will bring something small.

We gave the owner of a small B&B in Rome a box of macadamia nut chocolate candies when we checked in - he was surprised and delighted. We later left to walk around, and when we returned, he and all his staff were in the reception area, sharing the chocolates. They all beamed at us and thanked us for the small treat.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Were staying at a small B&B (owner run) and yes even though they are in the service industry were very impressed with how they have interacted with us. We initially had booked a different hotel and after reading such great reviews on the establishment and the service guests recieved we chagned our reservations. I'm very glad we did. We live in the San Francisco area so perhaps we'll get a picture book with a personal note inside.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Oldie that is so funny! (taking beads to the natives).

Rohani, I'd bring a consumable (not Oreos apparantly!) What about a bottle of California wine? I know that's controversial but my daughter's French host family liked it.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM

By all means bring a gift. You should do the same thing if you receive extremely helpful service from your mechanic, dentist, accountant, or butcher.

It suggests that you have manners and an appreciation of the service provided.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I would not take gifts to people in the hospitality industry. That is what they do.

I would NOT take or send OREOS to Anyone-especially someone in Eurpoe.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:15 PM

We took pens with our city name/scene on it and some baseball caps. The pens especially were so easy to pack. When we got exceptional service or we just connected with someone for some reason, we gave them out. We always got a big grin and thank you. At one hotel we found ourselves upgraded when we returned to fly out (that was not our intention) and a bottle of creme de melone from a restaurant manager in a small town in Southern Italy. We gave him a pen the day we were leaving because he kept giving us free drinks and food. It was just a small token to let him know we appreciated his hospitality. When he gave us the creme de melone he said in his very limited English "because we are friends". Our pen/hat giving were some of our most fond memories !