Gifts for Friends in Paris

Old May 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gifts for Friends in Paris

For 1/2 of our upcoming trip, we're staying with a family in Paris. We're planning to bring a great bottle of wine for the husband, but are stumped on gift ideas for the wife. Does anyone have any goods ideas they would be willing to share? Everything in France seems so wonderful, it's hard to come up with something special.
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Make sure the husband is open to the idea of receiving wine from (I presume) the USA. Some French people resent the fact that California wines are pulling ahead of French wines.
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -- that's a good point! I should have provided more info with my question. They have visited us here in the States and enjoy going to our wineries, so I think he'll enjoy a bottle of wine.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM

I have heard that nice bath towels are liked by the French.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi BJ,

Flowers are always appreciated, and you can get them in Paris.

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM

You didn't mention if they have children. When I met Cocofromdijon's family, I bought caps representing my favorite American football teams (Penn State and the Steelers) for her two wonderful young boys. They really liked them. Very American and something that they could take to school to show.

Since then I have spoken to young men who often visit Ireland. They said that if you want to make friends in Ireland, where a similar cap. They said so many young people would talk to them asking about it.

I didn't buy Coco or Pascal a gift because frankly I had no idea what to buy that would pack easily AND I figured that most parents are like me and prefer to see their children pleased than themselves.

As for the gift for the wife, I liked the linens idea. Heck, who can't use linens? Especially if they invite guests regularly.
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM

If the wife likes to cook and can read English, what about a cookbook that features regional American specialties (e.g. cajun cooking)? For food lovers, another option might include spices and condiments that are hard to find in France, especially if they are associated with places they have visited before.

I'm not sure about the suggestion to bring towels. There are great linens in France (actually, something you should shop for while you're here is tablecloths). It's hard to find inexpensive, good quality towels here, but I'm not sure I'd consider such towels to be a good gift.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Linens are of course, gorgeous in France. I am talking about good quality luxurious terry cloth.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Him-antique or vintage cork screw (I like these and they aren't that expensive). Her-Tiffany bracelet-love those turquoise boxes.