Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Ravello or Sorrento from Salerno or Naples?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
sbk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best/most economical way to get from either of these places to the other. I love going on local trains and busses, is this doable with luggage? We are coming from Sicily by train so should we get off in Salerno and go to Sorrento first or go to Naples and go to Capri first then back to Sorrento and Ravello? Thank You.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:00 PM
ira

Hi sbk,

From Naples take the Circumvesuviana Train (central station lower floor) to Sorrento and bus to Amalfi and change to the bus for Ravello. Buses have luggage storage.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:12 AM

If you're coming from Sicily and heading for Ravello first you should get off in Salerno.

From Salerno it's a 70 mins bus ride (or 30 mins. boat ride) to Amalfi, from where it's a short ride up to Ravello.

The bus ride from Salerno to Amalfi, and from Amalfi to Sorrento is just spectacular - and cheap.

Be sure to sit on the left side of the bus.

Steve

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:40 AM
sbk
Original Poster

Will the boat take us over to Sorrento from Salerno? If not the bus sounds like a great way to see the area.
I am still looking for hotel advise under 150 Euro per night in either Ravello or Sorrento, rooms or at least hotels with a great view. Is this doable?
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
GAC

During the summer, I believe that a few boats go all the way from Salerno to Sorrento. You can always take the SITA bus from Salerno to Amalfi and transfer to a second SITA bus from Amalfi to Sorrento, or better yet train direct to Naples Centrale and take the Circumvesuviana Rail direct to Sorrento.
In Ravello, check out these two hotels within your price range: Hotel Toro, Hotel Villa Amore
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:39 AM

I took boats (versus trains), to get to and from those places you've listed. The boats were more convenient and it was very refreshing to be out on the open water during the intense heat wave in August. I took a boat from Naple's Stazione Marittima to Amalfi, then paid 1 euro for the local bus and went up to Ravello. Likewise, I took a boat to Sorrento as well.

Coming from Sicily, you could stop in Salerno first and take a boat from there into Sorrento. Then you could take another boat from Sorrento to Capri. I am not sure where you will be staying, but if Naples is your base, then you could depart for each of your desired locations via boat. There are many possible routes with departures nearly every hour (in September) so it should be fairly convenient to get around that way.