getting to Positano

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:44 PM
Mike Sips

getting to Positano

What is the most convenient way to get to Positano from Naples?
My family (2 adults and 2 children) will be arriving either at the Naples airport or the central train station (from Rome).

Is it better to take the circumvesuviana train to Sorrento then either a bus or ferry to Positano? Or take a hydrofoil from Naples
directly to Positano? The "Let's Go" guide states that the "linee marittime partenopee" runs hydrofoils from Naples to Positano which take only 45 minutes, so that looks best. But I can't find the schedule online. Also, we will have a several large suitcases -- any problem getting these on the hydrofoil?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Sips

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Mike Sips

Another possibility would be to drive a rental car from the Naples airport to Positano. But the traffic might be terrible.

We're arriving in Naples on a Saturday afternoon in mid-June.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Julie

There is no good time to drive in Naples. The citizenry is anarchic. Red lights are advisory or at least treated so. Donkey carts are periodically spotted going uphill. I know, we were behind one. I'd certainly advise against that option unless you arrive at the airport instead of the train station and can drive around rather than through the city. There is yet another option. Hire a car and driver--one who knows how to drive in Naples. The concierge at our hotel in Venice arranged one for us and it worked perfectly. It was expensive but we were staying at an expensive hotel in Venice and I'd guess that it's possible to do this for somewhere close to what you'd pay for either renting your own car for the day or paying for 4 train tickets. Check with the people at your hotel in Positano. They may be able to arrange it for you. If you can do it for a reasonable rate, that is plainly the most convenient possibility.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Steve James

Hello Mike,

Julie's suggestion, hiring a limo, is the most convenient, if not the cheapest. But lots of luggage may be a problem.

If you prefer the public transport option, depending on your time of arrival, you have several optionsBR>
1. Bus from Capodichino Airport to META near Sorrento. From Meta you can take a bus to Positano.

2. Bus from Capodichino to Pompei.
Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.
Bus from Sorrento to Positano.

3. Bus from Capodichino to Naples.
Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.
Bus to Positano.

The hydrofoil only operates from mid-June, I believe, and is not very frequent (- about 4 a day).
Cost is about EURO 15.00 pp.
It may not be a good option with luggage unless your hotel is near the quay!

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:04 PM
mike sips

Dear Julie and Steve,

Thanks for your replies.
We're staying at a villa (villa oliviero), and the owner said that he could arrange a limo to pick us up in Naples, so we will probably take that option. -- Mike

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 08:38 PM
kiki

Mike,
Go for the car service. We did this a week ago and it worked out great. Just check the price beforehand with the hotel. We used Positano Limo Service 5 Stars and were pleased - they told us that they just bought a van, so that could accomodate a family of 4 with lots of luggage. I can't emphasize enough that you should try to take less luggage b/c it is a pain lugging it up and down the train steps, etc., unless you get a porter. Ask your hotel where the driver will meet you. Ours met us at the end of the train track which was great b/c we didn't have to go looking for them outside.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Sue

We hired a car and driver in Naples last year and were so glad we did. Bus from Sorrento just makes a stop on the highway in Positano as we understood it, and with luggage, children,etc., that doesn't sound good. Wasn't cheap, but worth it, to us.